Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikkonen View Post
    Does it hurt when the pendulum is swinging to the other side?
    Dude, the Democrats have a fucking fetish for compromising with the GOP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Dude, the Democrats have a fucking fetish for compromising with the GOP.
    Your point being?

Your point being?
    The "pendulum" has never swung to the left. The Democrats get in power and they happily work with the GOP on stuff. The GOP gets in power and nope. Its been this way for decades.

The way the American voting system is set up, it's extremely polarized. There's an extremely heavy emphasis on motivating extremes to actually go out and vote, whereas motivating the centrists is comparatively less valuable.

I've raved on about this before, but that's why I like our voting system here in Australia. It's mandatory; about 95% of the population votes (as opposed to 50%-ish in the US) which means that securing the vote of the average center-leaning person is so much more valuable. Appealing to extremes is consequently something that only really happens in niche electorates, rather than something that happens on a national scale.

Deleted
    The "pendulum" has never swung to the left. The Democrats get in power and they happily work with the GOP on stuff. The GOP gets in power and nope. Its been this way for decades.
    I guess you're just not gonna read my posts.

I guess you're just not gonna read my posts.
    The context is clear, so I'm not sure what problem you're having.

- - - Updated - - -

Still haven't seen a compelling argument for centrism being inherently superior anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    The way the American voting system is set up, it's extremely polarized. There's an extremely heavy emphasis on motivating extremes to actually go out and vote, whereas motivating the centrists is comparatively less valuable.

I've raved on about this before, but that's why I like our voting system here in Australia. It's mandatory; about 95% of the population votes (as opposed to 50%-ish in the US) which means that securing the vote of the average center-leaning person is so much more valuable. Appealing to extremes is consequently something that only really happens in niche electorates, rather than something that happens on a national scale.
    Australia's system also allows for more than 2 parties and forces parties to work together.

Deleted
    The context is clear, so I'm not sure what problem you're having.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post44566891

10+ Year Old Account
    Pendulum swinging is Democrats-Republicans-Democrats-Republicans. Trump is not a Republican in the way that, say, Cruz or Bush is. Trump is not a pendulum swinging, it is a pendulum weight breaking off and flying away.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Yeah, debate kind of died when the Republicans went far right and refused to even discuss compromise with moderate Democrats.
    Does it hurt when the pendulum is swinging to the other side?
    This is boring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Pendulum swinging is Democrats-Republicans-Democrats-Republicans. Trump is not a Republican in the way that, say, Cruz or Bush is. Trump is not a pendulum swinging, it is a pendulum weight breaking off and flying away.
    I think at this point its pretty clear that Trump is just a Republican with the mask off. Its not like they've put up any actual defense against the blatantly wrong things he's doing.

Deleted
    This is boring.

Is this too hard for you to understand?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is boring.

- - - Updated - - -

I think at this point its pretty clear that Trump is just a Republican with the mask off. Its not like they've put up any actual defense against the blatantly wrong things he's doing.
    This is important and it needs to be hammered home. All of the comming bullshit in the next couple years needs to be ties to republicans not just trump. If the dems domt go after the turtle and paul ryan and mike pence they will simple throw trump under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Australia's system also allows for more than 2 parties and forces parties to work together.
    Yep, the preference system is the other thing that makes it work so well.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are trying to ride on his success, it seems. His policies don't have much in common with what most Republicans seem to believe in. There was just this small faction in the Republican party, that formed a couple of decades ago, that promoted anti-intellectualism, and at some point it somehow managed to gain real power in the party. And now that they are in charge, the rest of the Republicans have to either accept them, or to be dismissed and ridiculed.

I think it is a temporary state of affairs, and, once Trump's ship starts sinking, the party will quickly get back on track.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. I see no reason why I should give up something that's important to me.
    Then sadly you don't get politics. It's the art of the possible. Neither side will ever get what they all want. So it's dumb to pretend otherwise. You have to prioritize what's the most important thing to you and let slide on other things.

They are trying to ride on his success, it seems. His policies don't have much in common with what most Republicans seem to believe in. There was just this small faction in the Republican party, that formed a couple of decades ago, that promoted anti-intellectualism, and at some point it somehow managed to gain real power in the party. And now that they are in charge, the rest of the Republicans have to either accept them, or to be dismissed and ridiculed.

I think it is a temporary state of affairs, and, once Trump's ship starts sinking, the party will quickly get back on track.
    One part tells me he's got the party by the balls. One part tell me he's a useless puppet. One part says he is aiming for autocracy.

Will I ever receive a proper description of Trump's power level?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    One part tells me he's got the party by the balls. One part tell me he's a useless puppet. One part says he is aiming for autocracy.

Will I ever receive a proper description of Trump's power level?
    I think it is a bit of everything. He is a master con artist and manipulator, but he is also extremely dumb in everything regarding his office, so I'm not sure how the skills that helped him win the election are going to help him now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    Then sadly you don't get politics. It's the art of the possible. Neither side will ever get what they all want. So it's dumb to pretend otherwise. You have to prioritize what's the most important thing to you and let slide on other things.
    Reread my post and try again.

I think it is a bit of everything. He is a master con artist and manipulator, but he is also extremely dumb in everything regarding his office, so I'm not sure how the skills that helped him win the election are going to help him now.
    Easy. People will waste time on flat out lies, nonsense opinion jabs or stretched truths instead of the myriad of actual complaint points and introduce a cry wolf effect on the population.

Kinda like what happened with Obama, other than a quite noticeable difference in legitimate complaint points.