Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Smile RL Looking for help for a Balance Druid

Hi

Currently have a small guild of raiders and we pug for NH, I have been looking specifically at one of our lower dps in the guild but I really don't know enough about Balance Druids to say hey you might want to consider casting this more etc....

This is for Krosus warcraftlogs.com/reports/BNkt97CqvYXmnzp2#fight=5&type=damage-done&view=analytical&source=14

This is for Botanist warcraftlogs.com/reports/BNkt97CqvYXmnzp2#fight=6&type=damage-done&view=analytical&source=14

She is a lovely raider but I would like to bring her dps in line with others in the group, the trouble being I have simcrafted her and the numbers come out at about 120k higher than what she gets

Any advice that I can pass on would be amazing and most welcome

For the Krosus log:

- There's a almost a full 60 seconds of the fight where either one of or both sunfire and moonfire were not applied to the boss
    - She's overcapping on astral power badly
    - And there's almost a minute and a half of the fight where she's simply not casting

A lot of this can be fixed by better movement and knowledge of the fight, for example standing in the middle of the bridge and having enough astral power to just strafe to the side while casting a starsurge to avoid the fel beam.

There's also a lot of casts that have been cancelled looking at the logs there. Knowledge of the fight and when to be able to cast freely and when to pool astral power to be able to cast starsurges on the move will see a large increase in dps

Keeping dots on the boss is something that needs to be fixed though

Botanist:

- Again the dot uptime needs to be much much higher
    - She's capping on moon charges
    - Again overcapping on astral power
    - Again a lot of time spent not casting and casts being cancelled (see movement and preplanning to cast starsurges on the move as for Krosus)

You would probably also see a lot more dps on Botanist by going full aoe spec (at least on normal and heroic) but that's not really fixing the key issues here.

Out of the bat, she is using Shooting stars on a pure ST fight, are the adds alive long enought to use Dots on them? if not dont use Shooting Star.

She should have 100% uptime on dots, she wasted 2 moons, and she wasted some AsP being capped "http://www.checkmywow.com/reports/BNkt97CqvYXmnzp2/149595320/5?tab=cooldowns"

Deleted
    Thank you both so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Abominalizer View Post
    Out of the bat, she is using Shooting stars on a pure ST fight, are the adds alive long enought to use Dots on them? if not dont use Shooting Star.

She should have 100% uptime on dots, she wasted 2 moons, and she wasted some AsP being capped "http://www.checkmywow.com/reports/BNkt97CqvYXmnzp2/149595320/5?tab=cooldowns"
    Shooting stars is hands down better on Single target fights with enough haste.
    and this druid has haste.

shooting stars isnt doing as well due to them not keeping there dots up.

Incarn/SS/NB BoTa works well if you can patchwerk but most fights dont allow it, and wehn switching between targets SS pulls ahead.

So Go Shooting Stars ignore this person.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    Whats the % of haste needed for this to be true?

Since SS and BotA-E both profit from haste i think you are wrong. If you can back up your claims with math i´m happy to see it.

Incarn/SS/NB BoTa works well if you can patchwerk but most fights dont allow it, and wehn switching between targets SS pulls ahead.

Your contradicting yourself here.
    If your claim is if it isnt a pure singel target fight/you have to switch targets (and thous have dots on several) then SS is better --> you are probably right.

But in a fight like Krosus it depens on two factors "how long do the adds live" " and "are you dotting them up".
    If the adds live long enough AND you are dotting enough of them than SS might be better than BotA-E. But only in that case. And that is exactly what the person you´re quoting is saying.

Edit: It also depens on movenment. SS is of course better with heavy movenment because you cant cast SW and LS as much.
    Last edited by Nerxyrall; 2017-02-11 at 01:30 AM.

Pretty sure it's never true

Quote Originally Posted by Argenon View Post
    Whats the % of haste needed for this to be true?
    29 ish percent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerxyrall View Post
    Since SS and BotA-E both profit from haste i think you are wrong. If you can back up your claims with math i´m happy to see it.
    not that i main a balance druid or anything and have seen clear differences in my own performance by using SS over BotA - End Sarcasm

BoTa is good if you can stand still often and get casts off during incarn, with IFE (Our Ring), SS is better as it gives a bigger regen pull off of dots than we would get standing still and casting spells.

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

29 ish percent.

- - - Updated - - -

not that i main a balance druid or anything and have seen clear differences in my own performance by using SS over BotA - End Sarcasm

BoTa is good if you can stand still often and get casts off during incarn, with IFE (Our Ring), SS is better as it gives a bigger regen pull off of dots than we would get standing still and casting spells.
    Not that there's not a single top log on Krosus using SS and everyone that knows what they're doing is using BotA and the theorycrafting is also in favor of BotA - End Sarcasm

If you're not casting enough for BotA to be better than SS on single target - you're pretty fucking bad and should switch your main to something else. I'd suggest melee.

Last testing for SS v BotA I did on dummies got BotA generating about 50-65% more AP than SS.. (Single target no movement that is.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nerxyrall View Post
    But in a fight like Krosus it depens on two factors "how long do the adds live" " and "are you dotting them up".
    If the adds live long enough AND you are dotting enough of them than SS might be better than BotA-E. But only in that case. And that is exactly what the person you´re quoting is saying.
    If you have enough adds that they live long enough to DoT, you're already wiping. So the question is moot anyway, BotA for Krosus.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    Not that there's not a single top log on Krosus using SS and everyone that knows what they're doing is using BotA and the theorycrafting is also in favor of BotA - End Sarcasm
    Or that BotA benefits exactly the same from haste, so it doesn't do jack to shift the balance.

On a more constructive note, the fel beams always alternate(i.e. if you get one left, the next will always be right and vice versa), and you only need to be about 3y off the middle to dodge them, giving plenty of time to position for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    if you read my post, it stated some fights BoTa, and some fights SS overcomes it....

Fights like:
    Spellblade, Boatnist, Tich, Trilliax, SS comes ahead due to being able to dot, and get more astral power, then what the 25% extra from LS/SW would net, as all these fights dont have a patchwerk aspect to them constantly, like Krosus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by foibooze View Post
    Last testing for SS v BotA I did on dummies got BotA generating about 50-65% more AP than SS.. (Single target no movement that is.)
    single target no movement.... in a raid setting.....

multi target SS would pull ahead with 3+ mobs.

if you read my post, it stated some fights BoTa, and some fights SS overcomes it....

Fights like:
    Spellblade, Boatnist, Tich, Trilliax, SS comes ahead due to being able to dot, and get more astral power, then what the 25% extra from LS/SW would net, as all these fights dont have a patchwerk aspect to them constantly, like Krosus.
    I would have to question your decision to say that SS is better on Krosus and Trilliax. You have to look at the fight as a whole. On Korsus you should not be moving enough for SS to overtake BoTA. If you are, that means you are not planning or pooling your AP around Fel Beam movement correctly.

On Trilliax, if you're using SS, I have no idea why. If you're dotting all the scrapper adds that come out you're wasting precious GCDs dotting adds that don't even count on damage meters. If you make the Mythic argument that you can double dot the add that comes out, it's not out nearly long enough for it to be an overall AP gain over the course of the fight.

Also you state above that "this druid has haste". She in fact, doesn't. She has 8.5k haste. That is by no means a lot. I try to stay around 11.5-12k and I still don't feel I have enough. There are no amounts of haste that could realistically cause SS to overtake BoTA on a single target fight.
    Last edited by Girthmonster; 2017-02-12 at 11:51 PM.

And only there. No single target fight has so much movement that SS pulls ahead of BotA.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    And only there. No single target fight has so much movement that SS pulls ahead of BotA.
    thats my point, i was making the point that some fights SS would be better Depending on movement and adds up.

if your group doesnt have much add damage or aoe cleavable classes to help with adds having SS up would be more beneficial on some fights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Girthmonster View Post
    I would have to question your decision to say that SS is better on Krosus and Trilliax. You have to look at the fight as a whole. On Korsus you should not be moving enough for SS to overtake BoTA. If you are, that means you are not planning or pooling your AP around Fel Beam movement correctly.

On Trilliax, if you're using SS, I have no idea why. If you're dotting all the scrapper adds that come out you're wasting precious GCDs dotting adds that don't even count on damage meters. If you make the Mythic argument that you can double dot the add that comes out, it's not out nearly long enough for it to be an overall AP gain over the course of the fight.

Also you state above that "this druid has haste". She in fact, doesn't. She has 8.5k haste. That is by no means a lot. I try to stay around 11.5-12k and I still don't feel I have enough. There are no amounts of haste that could realistically cause SS to overtake BoTA on a single target fight.
    popping Sunfire when there are 3-4 adds near trilliax and getting them cleaved on a sunfire, is nice.

and if your soaking or on Sterilize, or have to soak bombs, and the moving with annihiliate, or you get arcing bonds.... there is a lot of shit on Trilliax that can shit on you sitting there and hard casting to get the same amount of astral power that SS would give you for doing nothing.

i didnt say SS was better on Krosus?
    i said some fights. as you said in the quote of mine you quoted, doesnt state krosus. it says Spellblade (adds), Botanist (3+ targets from start of fight only towards end BoTa would pull far ahead), Tich (constant movement multiple adds through multiple phases), Trilliax (as stated above a lot of shit can work against you for BoTa, its a playstyle change i guess).

i didnt say the druid had haste, i said it has a nice amount of haste, i said more haste would be beneficial in previous comments i stated 29% with Metra/Whispers would be ideal.

which druid are you talking about in these logs i see 3 druids playing balance?

thats my point, i was making the point that some fights SS would be better Depending on movement and adds up.

if your group doesnt have much add damage or aoe cleavable classes to help with adds having SS up would be more beneficial on some fights.
    No, your point was that under certain circumstances you'd use SS in single target fights. Nobody is claiming that it wouldn't be used in AoE fights.

i didnt say SS was better on Krosus?
    Yes you did. In your first post.

Don't even try, this is what you wrote and I answered on: "Shooting stars is hands down better on Single target fights with enough haste.

shooting stars isnt doing as well due to them not keeping there dots up."

no backsies!

Here's the post where you say she has haste. Here's the post where you say SS is better on single target. Here is the post where you state that the only reason SS is behind BoTA is because people have bad DoT uptime. Here is the post where I realized you literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Also if you don't view Trilliax and Krosus as single target fights then you are thinking about the fight wrong and not maximizing your damage in the right places.

I would love to see your logs and armory.
    Last edited by Girthmonster; 2017-02-14 at 06:06 PM.