15+ Year Old Account
    stop talking about japan, that place sucks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    What a bunch of weebs.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Poor Sesto.

You're gonna make him relive the ordeal of leaving Japan and he'll break again, guys!
    They should make a groundhog day anime about a westerner moving to Japan and his struggle to survive until he becomes the perfect weeaboo.

@Extremity Obligatory SSY recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I think you just described Sesto's future.

I believe in him!

- - - Updated - - -

A good thing to do with the folks in this thread is check out their MAL profiles for anime they've seen, they're usually link in their sig (like the image in mine is). A nice easy way to look at what people have scored highly. And as much as we give each other shit for our tastes, we generally agree on a lot of anime and their scores, I would say. With some exceptions, ofc.
    I genuinely did not know that website existed. I've watched anime on and off my entire life, I've always considered myself a "fan" but never a hardcore one by any means. Man, you guys have got this shit *down*.

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    @Extremity Obligatory SSY recommendation.
    What's that? Google says "Shinsekai yori (From the new world)", is that it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    What's that? Google says "Shinsekai yori (From the new world)", is that it?
    Yeh it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Better than that Canada place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Better than that Canada place.
    British Texas talking about British Alaska, that's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    To get it out of the way first, this show is nothing incredible...I'll probably continue watching this since I'm slightly invested by now, but so far this about a 7/10 for me.
    I think I was aided by having low expectations as I went in. I chose it because it looked goofy and I really needed something to distract me. The fact that it turned out alright has me praising it because, as you said, the premise is so off-kilter that when it managed to pull it together sufficiently I thought that was pretty good. As I was talking with Caine before, I suspect much of my entertainment comes from the fact that they address so many things that are normally overlooked that the remaining holes don't bother me as much as they normally would.

Back to Anime; I've gotten some great suggestions here, thanks! Are there any "must watch" shows that I'm missing out on? I'm talking Anime that you'd assume most people in this thread have watched, something so good and perhaps influential that it's... well, a must-watch. A friend told me about "My Neighbor Totoro" and said it's a must watch -- in fact, he's the owner/developer of a pretty major game and when I was an Administrator he edited my title from "Admin" to "Totoro", which is how it came up. Anything else, and any confirmation on this Totoro show/movie (I think it's a movie, right?) being worthwhile? As for my original question, movies are great too. Another movie I think I need to watch... Akira? Is that it? I'm thinking of something where there's some sort of infection or maybe tech integration and a kid's arm explodes or something, right? That's as much as I remember.
    Did you watch Steins;Gate?

If not, that's my "Must watch" suggestion.

Other noteworthy suggestions I haven't seen-
    Parasyte (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu)
    Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi)

If you don't have a MAL (My Anime List) yet, should consider making one, it's handy to quickly add suggested animes to your "To watch" list. Mines in hidden in the "El Psy Kongroo!" in my signature.

Sorry if you already said you had a MAL, or watched either of those already, I don't keep up with every single post in here admittedly!

High School Fleet 11 part A: I just had to pause here
    >Moeka's eyes aren't red
    Just when I thought what'd happen if this went the ultimate suffering route.

edit part B:This show
    >I'll be your mayonnaise
    Gotta say, I have yet to see a yuribait confession like this.
    Last edited by Asetotti; 2017-02-13 at 09:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched the first 3 episodes of Youjo Senki today
    Please, the only problem that you really have with it is the fact that you're german and have been taught that you guys were villains for your whole life, and then this anime comes along and is basically glorifying conquering europe. It's probably triggering you.

High School Fleet 12: Ok. This was good, I liked it but that shouldn't be surprising at this point
    I can't really credit this show for being anything special though. It was fun and relatively comfy to watch but that was about that.
    The OP was good and of course using it as an insert song was hype as fuck for that scene, made the scene really great. However, it also felt kinda cheap using the OP for it. Cheap and unoriginal.

Isoroku besto. No best girls because character design by Atto who made NNB's character designs as well. These things are too precious for best girl cancer.

6~7/10

15+ Year Old Account
    Gabriel Dropout - top 10 anime betrayals

- - - Updated - - -

also CR's subs are basically on par with meme subs for this show, not sure why they keep adding silly religious phrases ('speak of the devil!') when in reality they're just speaking normally

Back to Anime; I've gotten some great suggestions here, thanks! Are there any "must watch" shows that I'm missing out on?p
    Obligatory thread-sponsored Shinsekai Yori suggestion

My personal recommendations:
    • Kill la Kill
    • Your Lie in April
    • Erased (Boku Dake ga Inai Machi)
    • Steins;Gate
    • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya & The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
    • Hanasaku Iroha
    • ReLIFE
    • Madoka Magica
    • Hibike! Euphonium

My personal favorites:
    • My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
    • Chihayafuru
    • K-On!
    • Monogatari Series
    • Yuru Yuri
    • Tamako Market & Tamako Love Story

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that makes sense. Another thing I've noticed is the food always looks great in Anime, even when I know it's just rice with a seaweed wrap or whatever. I remember being a kid and thinking pizza in cartoons looked *amazing* (I can specifically remember the pizza in "A Goofy Movie" looking incredible), but some of this food I see in Anime is just great. It's to the extent that I actually ordered a bunch of ingredients from Japan on a whim. Now I've got a BUNCH of Miso and tons of other stuff (like those fish flakes you soak in water... is that Kombu? Kombu might be something else, I can't remember) just sitting unused in my kitchen. The only store I used also said "free gift with purchase" and I was expecting some tiny thing - they sent me literally like 9 bonus candies and cookies and stuff, almost more items than I had purchased. Some of it is crazy and weird, but a few things are great, like this huge box of individual packets of Hello Kitty "biscuits" with strawberry filling -- amazing. They sure do love their Hello Kitty. So does my girlfriend, obsessively. I want to get some bento boxes now and make an authentic japanese lunch with these ingredients :3 SO much prep time though, Jesus!

Back to Anime; I've gotten some great suggestions here, thanks! Are there any "must watch" shows that I'm missing out on? I'm talking Anime that you'd assume most people in this thread have watched, something so good and perhaps influential that it's... well, a must-watch. A friend told me about "My Neighbor Totoro" and said it's a must watch -- in fact, he's the owner/developer of a pretty major game and when I was an Administrator he edited my title from "Admin" to "Totoro", which is how it came up. Anything else, and any confirmation on this Totoro show/movie (I think it's a movie, right?) being worthwhile? As for my original question, movies are great too. Another movie I think I need to watch... Akira? Is that it? I'm thinking of something where there's some sort of infection or maybe tech integration and a kid's arm explodes or something, right? That's as much as I remember.

Oh, and I need to watch FLCL! My gf was OBSESSED with it; she's the one that showed me Elfen Lied, which I absolutely *love*, but I only got one or two episodes into FLCL and thought it was kinda dumb. I think it's time for a second chance, is FLCL well-liked here?

I keep making these long posts of random ramblings and then 20 questions, sorry! I'm ADD, and even moreso forum-ADD
    It's easy to make food look great in anime, but it's also possible to make food look amazing in real life. It just takes an attention to detail and proper cooking methods. Plus good lighting if you're taking pictures.

Like others said, the OP is a great place to start, and our own MALs. I recommend making your own MAL as well, it helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Those fish flakes should be Katsuobushi/bonito flakes, Kombu is seaweed. You aren't the only person in here ordering Japanese ingredients, I do so on a regular basis as well, and Zath did so too for a while. JP has a lot of weird stuff, or flavors when it comes to candy which you wouldn't find anywhere else. You should weeb up and try some Ramune.
    I'm kind of sad about not cooking a lot recently. It happens when I'm working, since almost every day I'm in the kitchen surrounded by massive amounts of food, and it kills my desire. I cook a lot more on off seasons when I'm not working (summer, holidays).

I actually plan on getting back into it, but instead I'll be learning dim sum, since I got a starter kit for Christmas. Thinking I'll do a new type of dim sum every couple of days, and then for my birthday cook a large batch for a party (I normally cook on my birthdays for large groups, 20-30 people). It'd be really fun.

To Extremity, on cooking, the best way to do it is get a basic recipe book that has a lot of original Japanese recipes, get all the base ingredients generally listed at the beginning, and then every couple of days or when you feel like it get the main ingredients for the dish and cook it one night. Don't go crazy, just cook one or two dishes. Start with basic stuff like miso soup, and then later on make miso + a main dish, and then so on. I haven't cooked in a while, but I already have most basic dishes memorized. Stocking up on all the base ingredients that don't expire easily along with picking out recipes you want to do is the best way to get started, rather than leaving everything to rot with only the want to do it in your mind.

Also obligatory x4 SSY recommendation.

Anyone could turn this piece of art into a sig for me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Anyone could turn this piece of art into a sig for me?
    Use this site:
    http://www.avatar-generator.com/

Easy peasy.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    I probably had higher expectations, yeah. It's really not a bad show though. It's just not quite as good as I would've liked it to be, I guess.
    Perhaps try the novel then. While this adaptation is not terrible, it still omits a lot and makes some... questionable alterations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Use this site:
    http://www.avatar-generator.com/

Easy peasy.
    Now I know why your avatars usually look bad...