Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The index and middle fingers move the top chopstick, think of it like using a pen. Use the rest of your hand to hold the bottom one still. Now, pinch!

And don't worry about getting super dextrous with them, as far as I can tell the authentic Asian way to eat with chopsticks is to put everything in little bowls, tip them into your mouth and just use the chopsticks to shovel it down faster.
    It depends on the context but yea for the most part go aheqd shovdl everything in there. Like at fancy restaurants or in formal settings might be a different story. Ive beem told that theirs also a proper way to hold the rice bowl. If you hold it from the bottom its very improper.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    You can eat anything with chops sticks except soup.
    Well, you can eat anything with your hands too. Things like jello or peas are needlessly difficult to eat with chopsticks, but those are probably not traditionally eaten by chopstick-using countries.

Deleted
    It just takes some time to adjust and learn how to handle the different foods.

Overall, it did take me some time to really learn how to use chopsticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    Well, you can eat anything with your hands too. Things like jello or peas are needlessly difficult to eat with chopsticks, but those are probably not traditionally eaten by chopstick-using countries.
    If your jello is firm enough it's fine, and if your peas are part of a cooked dish not solo they are fine with chopsticks too.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    My grandparents expected me to know how to pick individual rice grains out of a bowl by age six.

I never use chop sticks outside of going to the very occasional sushi bar.

I'm the master of cunning lingust.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty handy with medium sized objects like sushi.

Rice and noodles not so much.

However during my internship I went to dinner with my lab partners family. The restaurant did not even set forks out on the table, and I didnt want to be the white guy in the room and ask for one. Three minutes into the meal everyone in her family basically used the chopsticks as a shovel with the bowl close to their mouth. I was thinking what the hell is the point?

I've honestly never seen the point of those things. Knives and forks have been invented. I mean, if the only point is to play around with food, trying to eat it with something "different", then why not pick any random household item to eat with? Say, a haircomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I've honestly never seen the point of those things. Knives and forks have been invented. I mean, if the only point is to play around with food, trying to eat it with something "different", then why not pick any random household item to eat with? Say, a haircomb.
    Stabbing you food is barbaric, the cutting of food should have been done in the kitchen what lazy chef to make you do it at the table.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Take a breather and then remember that not every culture is white.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Stabbing you food is barbaric, the cutting of food should have been done in the kitchen what lazy chef to make you do it at the table.
    This. The use of stabbing or cutting implements in an eating environment is considered uncivilized in chopstick using Asian cultures - moreover, foot is not considered fully prepared until it is cut up, which is the job of the cook.

On a more philosophical level there's some argument that the inherent skill required in using chopsticks forces more focus on the food and thus greater appreciation of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I can stab my food with them. I can't used them to grab on to anything. I'll stick with my fork.
    What's Chinese for 'git gud'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkonen View Post
    Currently trying to learn how to use chopsticks but food mostly ends up on the plate again, on the table or on the floor. Not in my mouth.

So, any tips for how I can learn how to use chopsticks easy and fast?
    Use your other hand to carry a small plate to catch the food if you fail. Then just practice and practice!

10+ Year Old Account
    the direction are written on the wrapper.

also google.. you are going to have a pretty rough life if you search for knowledge on mmo champ

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NotFunny008 View Post
    Then just practice and practice!
    i try to tell my kids this about everything. they are mad they cant bowl a strike in bowling there first time up. like everyone else there just was born with bowling skills. they do this a lot

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've used Chopsticks for years but in my own way, my Best Friend has a Korean Wife that is always amazed at the way I use them because she said it looks weird but it works perfectly. I can also swap hands and do it either side which apparently isn't as common as I thought it would be.

Though style of Chopsticks can be a nuisance. Wood Chop sticks are easy af to use, Metal Chopsticks are a nightmare for anything oily like Eel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I see no reason to use a less effective method of eating just for the hell of it ...LOL I say burn those worthless utensils for fire wood.
    when i go out to eat sushi/chinese i practice using them out of enjoyment. then i use a spoon to shovel it in my mouth

I've been trying off and on for the past couple of years. I think my problem is getting my finger muscles to get used to them. It feels awkward sometimes and it feels like I don't have enough muscle behind the pinch
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I live in 2017,not fucking over 2000 years in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkthugal View Post
    No and I've never bothered trying, because we have goddamn forks here.
    ya but the fork always stabs me in the back of my throat... or im doing something wrong

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but only generally use it in like a Sushi restaurant or place that offers them by default on the table.

I know they pretty much always offer normal fork/knife, or rubber band alternatives if you'd ask, but I just learned it the hard way, it's not that different from learning to hold a pen/pencil properly back at school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltasar View Post
    I live in 2017,not fucking over 2000 years in the past.
    oh well, joseph stalin dead bro, stop living in the past. time to update that avatar to something more 2017ish