Poll: Whose fault is it?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    I'd go with google.
    Hmm....Well, Google has way more money than Uber, so should I up the demand too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I get notification on phone whenever I receive email to my main email account. I don't have it logged on the phone, I've never set such notifications, and it only happens on that one account, not related to the gmail address the phone is tied with, or any other ones.

Whom can I now sue for 45 million?
    Sounds a lot like either you are mistaken or that your emails are pushed to your gmail. Your claim here would suggest that you've never used that account on the phone and it magically pulls your emails without knowing it's you.

15+ Year Old Account
    My wife and I use Uber and there is a setting in the app that allows you to track family profiles. Basically, once its set up, you can see and I believe get notifications on your phone when its used by anyone in your family network. I'm wondering if there is a chance they set that up originally when the started using Uber on her phone and forgot about it. It might not actually be a bug if thats the case. The guy cheated and was caught because of the app. If it was a bug, well, he was an asshole and Uber needs to fix that bug, but its not worth $45,000,000 and he probably would have ended up getting caught some other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    it notifies you when your ride gets to your location.
    People aren't waiting outside for their ride, or something?

And how is the destination notification beneficial?

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Fuck no. I don't give a flying fuck about this asshole's "privacy" to cheat on his wife using his wife's phone to book his cheating dates. Don't want to be found out about cheating? Try: not cheating! Now with extra monogamy!
    Two separate issues:

1) He's a cheating asshole and I hope his divorce goes very badly for him.

2) Uber still has a responsibility to protect his privacy....even if he is cheating on his wife.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

someones a lil butthurt over being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Sounds a lot like either you are mistaken or that your emails are pushed to your gmail. Your claim here would suggest that you've never used that account on the phone and it magically pulls your emails without knowing it's you.
    Exactly what I'm saying. It's an outlook account, that I only ever use on the computer. The phone, as far as I see, can not even know it exists. Yet, without failing once with the notifications, it notifies me with sound and text when I get email to that outlook account. None of the other ones I have mind you. Not the gmail the phone is tied to, that I never use, and not two other older email accounts.

Seems magically indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    People aren't waiting outside for their ride, or something?

And how is the destination notification beneficial?
    The same way a receipt for something you bought is beneficial.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I don't know about in France, but in the US I tend to think this would be a nothing case; I mean even if I could see nominal negligence by Uber, in any comparative fault reasoning his theoretical damages would be limited pretty harshly.

It's not like Uber hires PIs to find people's wives' phone numbers and override their settings to send notifications, at some point, he had that done. Sure they have a general duty not to screw up with people's data, but what it exposed, and to whom, is still all very entirely the fault of the plaintiff. It's not like Uber's primary business purpose is discreet adultery, like, say, Ashley Madison.

The same way a receipt for something you bought is beneficial.
    I...might return something I bought, though. Especially if it's defective or otherwise winds up being unwanted.

Do people refund Uber trips?

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    I...might return something I bought, though. Especially if it's defective or otherwise winds up being unwanted.

Do people refund Uber trips?
    If there was any dispute about your uber account you would have your own records.

Two separate issues:

1) He's a cheating asshole and I hope his divorce goes very badly for him.

2) Uber still has a responsibility to protect his privacy....even if he is cheating on his wife.
    Lotta people in this thread need to read and reread this.

This is an interesting scenario (strictly from a legal perspective).

Now I don't know the law in France, but if this is to occur in a commonwealth country, this guy has a legitimate case, IF he can prove that his marriage would have stayed in tact but for Uber's technical glitch.

The live issues in this case would warrant some very personal details to be discoverable, probably causing his whole life to be shared in an open court. Uber also has the option to add other defendants to the proceedings (such as the wife and the woman with whom the man cheated with) and claim a contribution of the man's claim.

It's a dream case for any litigation lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Exactly what I'm saying. It's an outlook account, that I only ever use on the computer. The phone, as far as I see, can not even know it exists. Yet, without failing once with the notifications, it notifies me with sound and text when I get email to that outlook account. None of the other ones I have mind you. Not the gmail the phone is tied to, that I never use, and not two other older email accounts.

Seems magically indeed.
    You have that account associated with your gmail account most likely. You may not remember doing it, but that's most likely what it is. Your phone can't pull something it's never had access to. The only other possibility is that you attached your cellphone number to the account and it's texting you. If it's an app notification, that's not the case.

they are married. his phone is her phone and her phone is his. this is simply a case of ubers app sending a message to the wrong phone of his and therefore not a breach of privacy. Guy fucked up.

If there was any dispute about your uber account you would have your own records.
    Wouldn't one also have this tied to a bank/credit account?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    I don't think it's anyone's business when a man is seeing another woman.

But neither is it Uber's fault in this case. He just needs to l2log out properly and check that 'automatically log me in' box or something.
    If it's a glitch in their system causing her to receive notifications of his trips when hes not logged in to her phone it is entirely ubers fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guy cheats. Gets caught. Instead of owning his mistake like an adult, he's throwing a tantrum and punishing an innocent company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Instead of showing remorse for cheating, he's trying to get a payday. How awful!
    Um...privacy rules are pretty strict. I don't know how they work for an app like Uber, but I work for a bank, and you can get fired and your employer sued if you let slip information as simple as letting a wife know that her husband had been to the bank earlier that day. "Oh, hey, Mrs. Smith, I just saw your husband an hour ago."

Yeah.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    I read the article. The point you're missing is that you've no expectation of privacy and certainly no right to privacy on someone else's device. If you snap nude selfies on someone else's phone, those pictures belong to them, not you.
    That's a terrible analogy.

This is akin to someone using a friends computer to check their email once, then logging out. Yet every time an email is sent to their address it is also sent to that computer as well.

He used the app once, then logged out from the app. Yet the phone continued to receive updates despite not being logged in, which is a clear bug.