Poll: Whose fault is it?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Wouldn't one also have this tied to a bank/credit account?
    That would give a record of the charges....not what the charges were for.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    That would give a record of the charges....not what the charges were for.
    Um..."An Uber trip" would be my guess.

Someone had to agree to notifications being sent to that phone. If that happened then gl with that lawsuit lol.

Right. Just "An Uber Trip" not "An Uber trip to X location that took Y time charged at Z rate which = $."

Just like how your receipt itemizes what you bought at what cost and your bank statement will only register what you paid for the whole thing
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

We get it, you don't have your own finances. "Charge by Uber" isn't an itemized receipt. "Charge by uber for trip from 121 East Main to 983 West Front street at 11:30pm" is. Hence why the records are important. Maybe I recently had an uber, but that wasn't the right one. But with your world, I just see "Uber", so I have to assume its the right one. But it's not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    He used her phone.
    geez i wouldnt even use my wifes phone to order a pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    You have that account associated with your gmail account most likely. You may not remember doing it, but that's most likely what it is. Your phone can't pull something it's never had access to. The only other possibility is that you attached your cellphone number to the account and it's texting you. If it's an app notification, that's not the case.
    If the bolded was the case, it would be my other, older outlook account, since that was in use (still is somewhat) when the phone was new, and the gmail tied with the phone was created. The new outlook I use, is far newer than either of those, and isn't linked to them in any way. The phone doesn't text me either. It's a sound notification, a unique sound the phone doesn't use for anything else I might add, and it leaves notification in the upper part of the screen, where other notifications like battery status are. I guess you could call it app notification? Dunno.

How's it possible? As far as I know, it shouldn't be. I do like it tho, quite abit. Anyway, since the point of the thread was about notifications where they shouldn't be, and that being violations of some privacy, then maybe I should sue someone for violating my privacy to...myself? ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The guy is a cheating asshole...but his rights were violated.
    He logged into the app, which has options to opt out of push notifications. He consented that he would receive push notifications when he installed the app and logged into their services, then further neglected to log out or disable notifications. His rights were not violated, he opted in for these notifications and then he scrolled past the EULA and hit accept.

Network Access and Devices.

You are responsible for obtaining the data network access necessary to use the Services. Your mobile network's data and messaging rates and fees may apply if you access or use the Services from your device. You are responsible for acquiring and updating compatible hardware or devices necessary to access and use the Services and Applications and any updates thereto. Uber does not guarantee that the Services, or any portion thereof, will function on any particular hardware or devices. In addition, the Services may be subject to malfunctions and delays inherent in the use of the Internet and electronic communications.

We get it, you don't have your own finances. "Charge by Uber" isn't an itemized receipt. "Charge by uber for trip from 121 East Main to 983 West Front street at 11:30pm" is. Hence why the records are important. Maybe I recently had an uber, but that wasn't the right one. But with your world, I just see "Uber", so I have to assume its the right one. But it's not.
    Is one not aware of what they will be charged ahead of time? Does the driver not notify the passenger at the destination or pick-up? Do people pay for a trip without knowing what they're paying?

Is a charge for a trip automatically authorized via the app?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    He logged into the app, which has options to opt out of push notifications. He consented that he would receive push notifications when he installed the app and logged into their services, then further neglected to log out or disable notifications. His rights were not violated, he opted in for these notifications and then he scrolled past the EULA and hit accept.

Except the case seems to be that a glitch is sending that information to devices that are not logged into that account but have been at one time.

"The technical fault is thought to be that after you log in to Uber on another device, it can keep information on you as a user and continues to give updates on that phone," the report noted, adding that the issue appears to be limited to the iOS versions of the app updated after Dec. 16, 2016

Is one not aware of what they will be charged ahead of time? Does the driver not notify the passenger at the destination or pick-up?

Is a charge for a trip automatically authorized via the app?
    When you get your first bank account, this should all be easy for you to understand. Just seeing "Charge from X" doesn't let you know if it's correct or not. Even if it's the same price, it can be the wrong charge.

Might be that he either:
    1) Didn't *actually* log out and is just saying he did
    or
    2) Enabled the family notifications

Except the case seems to be that a glitch is sending that information to devices that are not logged into that account but have been at one time.

In addition, the Services may be subject to malfunctions and delays inherent in the use of the Internet and electronic communications.
    As above in the quoted EULA.

Omg chop his dick off already.

Id is no foult of de husband. De wife shoud have kept her warlord contented.

The whole point is that it shouldn't have been sending her updates when he was not logged in on that phone. That is the violation of privacy. Logging into her phone should not give her full access to everything he does after he returns it to her. Uber is responsible for the security of that data and they dropped the ball big time.

- - - Updated - - -

She shouldn't have gotten those notifications at all when he wasn't logged on to her phone. That's the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    I'm really curious about how he thinks notifications work.

So, @Bodakane, enlighten us with your wisdom. Also remember thank people like you that humanity is advancing slower than it could and we don't yet have the technology to punch someone through the screen because on this topic alone you'd be getting the full benefits of the service.
    ...I think you're talking to yourself at this point. It's 100% a bug that it continued to report. 100%. That's not in question by anyone with above a CS101 education....Notifications don't continue sending on ANY other app once you sign out on that device. When I sign out of Netflix, it doesn't continue to tell me there's a new episode of a show I like. It's a bug and you're getting caught up on the wrong details.
    Following your guys' stupid logic, if the guy used his wife's car to cheat and when he was done he tried to be really thorough in cleaning the vehicle, but missed something and a guy at a car wash the wife took the car to, found it and gave it to her.....then the husband should sue the car wash.

Simple fact of the matter, is that if the husband didn't make the decision to use the wife's phone then Uber doesn't get him caught. His fault.

Also, what proof is there he logged out? And there is a thing that is basically a "soft logout".
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

When you get your first bank account, this should all be easy for you to understand. Just seeing "Charge from X" doesn't let you know if it's correct or not. Even if it's the same price, it can be the wrong charge.
    I have a bank account, thanks very much. I also know that when I buy something, I know how much I'm being charged at the time of purchase, with or out a receipt, because I'm not a fucking idiot that makes a payment without knowing how much that payment is. Generally, the charge gives an abbreviated form of the place I made my purchase from. Also, the dates of the charges line up with the date of purchase (a day or two later when I pay a bill online, though).

If I see "Pizza Hut", and I know that I haven't been to Pizza Hut recently, then I know somehow my bank account how hi-jacked (yes, this happened once).

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Following your guys' stupid logic, if the guy used his wife's car to cheat and when he was done he tried to be really thorough in cleaning the vehicle, but missed something and a guy at a car wash the wife took the car to, found it and gave it to her.....then the husband should sue the car wash.

Simple fact of the matter, is that if the husband didn't make the decision to use the wife's phone then Uber doesn't get him caught. His fault.

Also, what proof is there he logged out? And there is a thing that is basically a "soft logout".
    Literally nobody here is suggesting anything like that. But that's a sick strawman. Don't forget the hat.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a bank account, thanks very much. I also know that when I buy something, I know how much I'm being charged at the time of purchase, with or out a receipt, because I'm not a fucking idiot that makes a payment without knowing how much that payment is. Generally, the charge gives an abbreviated form of the place I made my purchase from. Also, the dates of the charges line up with the date of purchase (a day or two later when I pay a bill online, though).

If I see "Pizza Hut", and I know that I haven't been to Pizza Hut recently, then I know somehow my bank account how hi-jacked (yes, this happened once).
    Keep reading buddy. I destroyed your little post in my last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    As above in the quoted EULA.
    Well yea but just because something is in an EULA doesn't mean it can't be challenged in court, otherwise they could just put any silly old thing in there and you would be legally bound to it. Generally speaking when using the app a certain level of privacy is expected and it's fair to challenge them on that.

If you see an Uber Notification pop up when you haven't ordered an uber..you don't have to wait until you get a bank statement to know your uber has been hijacked.