Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I can't really say many Americans would be offended though.
    Americans get offended if you refuse to stand for the national anthem.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Yeah but Kid Rock and the song in question is popular with white, southern morons.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Yeah but Kid Rock and the song in question is popular with white, southern morons.
    That does not mean they would not take offense to it being presented as the national anthem....that's also really popular with white, southern morons.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Nice generalization there.

Canadians are all free-speech hating, safe space loving, cry babies.

Am I doing it right?

You have let Trudeau down.

10+ Year Old Account
    That does not mean they would not take offense to it being presented as the national anthem....that's also really popular with white, southern morons.
    Perhaps they would simply cease to exist under the weight of their mental conflict.

Or maybe instead of American Idiots they'd become American Emo.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    I thought they were there to win. If you make 1st place nobody will care about that anthem misshap a month from now, would they? Unless the media makes alot of fuzz about it ofc.
    Yeah, because people aren't still crying like a bitch years afterwards when your flag was hung upside down at an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Yeah, because people aren't still crying like a bitch years afterwards when your flag was hung upside down at an event.
    Where are people "still crying like a bitch"?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post
    Nice generalization there.

Canadians are all free-speech hating, safe space loving, cry babies.

Am I doing it right?

You have let Trudeau down.
    Well, I suppose I should have used the quantifier "Some" before "Americans".

Interestingly enough, there's a thread today dealing with just this situation here

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    There are obscure later verses of the Star Spangled Banner that boast about killing slaves.
    http://amhistory.si.edu/starspangled...ssb_lyrics.pdf

Mok... looking for it.

Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

hireling - a person employed to undertake menial work.

I read this that the union save both the workers and the slaves from a grim faith.

It's a /facepalm moment but I'd motion the idea that the guest nations sing their anthems so screw ups are avoided entirely.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It's a /facepalm moment but I'd motion the idea that the guest nations sing their anthems so screw ups are avoided entirely.
    You use entirely too much logic!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    "Confuse"? Did someone just hand him a sheet 2 minutes before the event and told him to "just go with it"? :P

I cannot see how else you can "confuse" the nazi stanza with the actual, official stanza of the current nation of Germany. I wonder, would the Americans mind if we flagged the confederate flag next time you're here?
    Not as long as you have the General Lee jumping a ravine in slow motion. Then it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    We should have selected a new anthem after second world war.

East germany did:

.. and it is much nicer than "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles"..
    Say what you will about the communist countries (and there's a lot to say about them in the negative). They did at least bring out some impressive anthems. Both that and the USSR one

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post
    Riiiiight, because this site isn't filled with people bashing Americans. Gotta show some courtesy to receive it.
    We aren't bashing Americans (we love the majority of Americans! Really we do, they are great people, we absolutely adore them.) , we are ridiculing trump-supporters.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Definitely not the reich anthem. If I were German, I'd be fuhrerious.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Great. Shall we sing Dixie or The Bonnie Blue Flag in place of The Star-Spangled Banner next time your anthem is called for?
    No, you should just play the Russian national anthem instead.

FFS, Gen OT. I waded through six pages of this dreck and not a single one of you made this joke. Ya'll a colossal disappointment.
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by catcommando View Post
    No, you should just play the Russian national anthem instead.

FFS, Gen OT. I waded through six pages of this dreck and not a single one of you made this joke. Ya'll a colossal disappointment.
    Was too easy.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not! He was German at the time. They should just accept it.
    He was neither austrian nor german at the time. "Germany" wasn´t even a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Yes, well. We stole Mozart, too. Deal with it. :P

- - - Updated - - -

I literally just posted where the anthem is from four posts above yours. Would you like to edit your stuff?

And I could easily look up the text of the star spangled banner within a minute and sing it to you. :P
    i dont read what you say slant we've been over this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    How exactly is the age related?
    that was a poke at them for being nazis back in the day.

BUT how in the hell am i supposed to learn a national anthem thats only 70 years old? aint nobody got time for that
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

This is year 2017. I guess it takes a really ignorant person to do this. Like, at least Google check "Germany anthem"?