Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm going to wait until the game eventually goes half price this winter or next spring by which the online mode will be dead.

Ubisoft is going for the action style overwatch formula trying to the competitive scene big. I don't see them getting even half as successful as overwatch. And I'm pretty sure overwatch itself won't stay big for much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

If anyone wants to do some 1v1 or 2v2 hit me up, currently 48-3 as warlord in 1v1s...
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

10+ Year Old Account
    - Assassins deal to much damage.

- PK LA's are too fast for ubishits awful servers

- Nobushi kick is ridiculous and is too safe.

- Warden/Raider/Kensai all suck. Wardens toolkit is too small, Raider is a grab/throw simulator with a slow start up on everything and Kensai is just an inferior version of Oroshi

- Conqueror is invincible when it's in revenge mode.

- Revenge Mode should have an extreme defense and health nerf. It should also have some kind of internal cool down.

- Loading screens and matchmaking takes forever.

- Guard Break is too powerful and cannot be punished. Countering Guard Break yields no followup.

- Too many salty kids play this game.

- Ubishit can't get anything right with any of their games when it comes to netcode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    This opinion is obnoxious to me. I fully understand the point of view, but can you give me an example of a game this has happened to yet - that people still care to play? By the time the game's servers would go down - which would be a laughably long time I'd imagine, I highly doubt anyone who bought it now in 2017 would be wanting to load up the single player - especially on a game that seems to be more focused on multiplayer.

You're going to be missing out on a lot of games in the coming years with that point of view. Everything is online now, that is the reality.
    Battleforge

Here are two videos I made showcasing some tips for different things

Did anyone else find the parry (active block with heavy attack) followed by a guard break and a heavy attack to be op as I don't know what? That guard break after the parry is literally impossible to counter and gives your opponent a free heavy hit so what you have to do to win is basically just parry and get free hits. (Yes, I've tried this 1v1 vs a friend and we found it to be impossible to counter once you're parried, unlike normal guard breaks).

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Did anyone else find the parry (active block with heavy attack) followed by a guard break and a heavy attack to be op as I don't know what? That guard break after the parry is literally impossible to counter and gives your opponent a free heavy hit so what you have to do to win is basically just parry and get free hits. (Yes, I've tried this 1v1 vs a friend and we found it to be impossible to counter once you're parried, unlike normal guard breaks).
    I've seen a lot of discussion regarding this mechanic. It's going to be especially problematic in high level play. There's actually no reason to ever be the aggressor if you can consistently parry. Definitely see some changes being made there.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    - Too many salty kids play this game.
    are you being intentionally ironic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WackyWombat View Post
    I've seen a lot of discussion regarding this mechanic. It's going to be especially problematic in high level play. There's actually no reason to ever be the aggressor if you can consistently parry. Definitely see some changes being made there.
    This is where feinting comes into play. You can actually cancel your Heavy Attack startup on most classes (E on PC), essentially baiting your opponent into a parry which turns into a Heavy Attack which you can then parry yourself. On top of that there are some character specific feints like the PK heavy attack into bleed stab or Raider's heavy into Stunning Tap cancel that interrupt that heavy attack of your opponent immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    I almost exclusively played the Warden and I didn't feel it sucked. I enjoyed it and felt I had all the tools I needed to succeed. My biggest points of failure were personal skill and letting myself get caught in 1v2 situations. When I got beat I felt it was really to being outplayed and, especially towards the end of the Beta, out-mind-gamed. But of all the classes I went up against, I never felt like they could do something I couldn't handle if I made the right decisions.

I tried the Conquerer and the Peacekeeper a little too. I could definitely see the Peacekeeper's grapple attack needing some nerfing in the future, perhaps a means to parry the stabs or some risk to going for more than 1 stab. Personally I sucked at the PK and I only played a handful of matches, losing every match but just about breaking even on the K/D ratio. Conquerer I only did one game as, and I saw what appeared to be a lot of depth, but didn't continue checking him out because I really just wanted more time with the Warden to try and get better. I was bummed the Lawbringer was not in the Beta...I REALLY wanted to try him.
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    This is where feinting comes into play. You can actually cancel your Heavy Attack startup on most classes (E on PC), essentially baiting your opponent into a parry which turns into a Heavy Attack which you can then parry yourself. On top of that there are some character specific feints like the PK heavy attack into bleed stab or Raider's heavy into Stunning Tap cancel that interrupt that heavy attack of your opponent immediately.
    I'm aware of the feint mechanic. I was commenting based on the discussions I've seen on reddit and the ubisoft forums. I'm not a high level player myself, but apparently there are quite a few players at the top that are already reaching a point where they can defend against all incoming damage without much issue. I've seen suggestions like increasing chip damage through block, blocks absorbing less and less damage depending on how long you've gone without attacking, as well as just straight up removing the free guard break after a parry.

It's no surprise really. Attacks in this game have very clear telegraphs.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WackyWombat View Post
    I'm aware of the feint mechanic. I was commenting based on the discussions I've seen on reddit and the ubisoft forums. I'm not a high level player myself, but apparently there are quite a few players at the top that are already reaching a point where they can defend against all incoming damage without much issue. I've seen suggestions like increasing chip damage through block, blocks absorbing less and less damage depending on how long you've gone without attacking, as well as just straight up removing the free guard break after a parry.

It's no surprise really. Attacks in this game have very clear telegraphs.
    The whole point of the feint mechanic though is to make it damn near impossible to TRULY defend against all incoming damage. Since you can never truly know when there will actually be an attack and if you guess wrong you get punished. In that sense the advantage still resides with the offensive player since he knows what he's doing and simply needs to react.

The duel becomes not one of skill but instead it's mostly just mindgames. And I don't see an issue with that.

The whole point of the feint mechanic though is to make it damn near impossible to TRULY defend against all incoming damage. Since you can never truly know when there will actually be an attack and if you guess wrong you get punished. In that sense the advantage still resides with the offensive player since he knows what he's doing and simply needs to react.

The duel becomes not one of skill but instead it's mostly just mindgames. And I don't see an issue with that.
    Feinting isn't good enough. There's always that moment where you can no longer feint and the attack WILL land and that's when you parry. This is just a freebie for anyone that's competent at defence. I've played games before with feint mechanics and there is a point where you know the timing so good that you never ever fall for it. Friends have for example "cried out" that I never fell for their feints and just constantly deflected everything with easy only to suddenly turn and kill them in a few strokes in chivalry.

All I ask for is for the guard break to be counterable.

Deleted
    maybe i live under a rock, but only just heard of this game today, looks awesome, shame my potato pc probably cannot run this :| I look forward to watching streams of it i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feinting isn't good enough. There's always that moment where you can no longer feint and the attack WILL land and that's when you parry. This is just a freebie for anyone that's competent at defence. I've played games before with feint mechanics and there is a point where you know the timing so good that you never ever fall for it. Friends have for example "cried out" that I never fell for their feints and just constantly deflected everything with easy only to suddenly turn and kill them in a few strokes in chivalry.

I see, fair enough then. Making the guard break after a parry counterable is however not the solution to this "defense prevails" problem. Since in that case you would never be able to deal any significant damage, if in fact any damage at all, as long as perfect timing is upheld. Which I would guess at the highest skill level is pretty much indefinitely.

I see, fair enough then. Making the guard break after a parry counterable is however not the solution to this "defense prevails" problem. Since in that case you would never be able to deal any significant damage, if in fact any damage at all, as long as perfect timing is upheld. Which I would guess at the highest skill level is pretty much indefinitely.
    Everyone makes mistakes, no exceptions. People who are playing perfectly shouldn't be punished for the opponent doing the same.

Deleted

Maybe I'm Missing something but guard break is counterable? You simply hit it the same time the enemy does.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn the Second View Post
    I'm looking forward to the Open Beta starting on the 9th. Pre-ordered the deluxe edition at 20% off from a certain viridescent gentleman of leisurely contests website...

So, what's everybody's theme songs for each faction going to be when they march onto the bloody battlefields?

Mine is going to be very Sabaton-centric:

Knights: The Last Stand - Sabaton
    Vikings: Swedish Pagans - Sabaton
    Samurai: Shiroyama - Sabaton
    My Theme Song for Knights is "Into the mouth of Hell" by Trivium - ironically from their Shogun Album.
    Vikings Theme - Rules of nature from MGR:R OST, that feel when the music lines up perfectly for a Block -> Viking choke slam.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2017-02-13 at 10:44 PM.

Here is a Pre-Release Tier List to check out:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Maybe I'm Missing something but guard break is counterable? You simply hit it the same time the enemy does.
    A normal GB is counter-able, but the GB that comes after parrying a heavy attack is not.