Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    He was neither austrian nor german at the time. "Germany" wasn´t even a thing.
    Uh-huh, whatever makes you sleep better at night.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    i dont read what you say slant we've been over this

that was a poke at them for being nazis back in the day.

BUT how in the hell am i supposed to learn a national anthem thats only 70 years old? aint nobody got time for that
    We haven't actually been over this, but I'm not exactly surprised to find yet another ignorant person on this forum. Enjoy the company on my ignore list then.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    This is year 2017. I guess it takes a really ignorant person to do this. Like, at least Google check "Germany anthem"?
    USA-Germany was even a match in Brazil 2014 World Cup. Nobody listened ?

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    We haven't had a single decent tennis player since those two.
    What?
    Is "decent" nowadays "top1 for a few years" or what?
    Haas and Kerber obv having a career high of #2 and #1 respectively.
    And let's be honest, Haas had top-potential but his injuries...
    Schüttler #5 and Petkovic #9 are not that bad either.

I guess they were just bad and got lucky all the time

PS yes, they weren't as dominant as Graf was, but so was no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by catcommando View Post
    No, you should just play the Russian national anthem instead.

FFS, Gen OT. I waded through six pages of this dreck and not a single one of you made this joke. Ya'll a colossal disappointment.
    Funny thing is, I used to sing "Dixie" quite often in my elementary music class. As did all my fellow black students. As did my fellow students with Latino and Asian ancestry.
    I don't remember any of us thinking a thing about either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Uh-huh, whatever makes you sleep better at night.
    A bunch of archudchies and other states on their own under no combined ruling. Or am i missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    A bunch of archudchies and other states on their own under no combined ruling. Or am i missing something?
    Depends on timetable; HRR endet 1806 AFAIK.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Depends on timetable; HRR endet 1806 AFAIK.
    Well since mozart was already dead at that time it´s not meaningful to the discussion. However if you want to consider the HRR during Mozarts time it was already ruled by Habsburg-Lothringen and therefore under Austrian rule. I do think the archdutchies and smaller states had much more power during mozarts time so i wouldn´t consider him either austrian or german.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well since mozart was already dead at that time it´s not meaningful to the discussion. However if you want to consider the HRR during Mozarts time it was already ruled by Habsburg-Lothringen and therefore under Austrian rule. I do think the archdutchies and smaller states had much more power during mozarts time so i wouldn´t consider him either austrian or german.
    Well, Ostarrichi war part of HRR; then Franz renounced the holy imperial crown and took his fine collection of habsburg-ruled countries and Imperial Austria was born. He was Emperor of Austria already in 1804; HRR ended in 1806.

Mozart was subject of Josef II., who was Holy Roman Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    I mean if china played american badass instead of the anthem youd never hear the end of it.
    Kid Rock singing or some Chinese dude?
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Mozart was subject of Josef II., who was Holy Roman Emperor.
    Yep as i said, already the Habsburg-Lothringen dynasty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Kid Rock singing or some Chinese dude?
    hmmm some chinese dude prolly I mean I guess they could get kid rock to come in on a motor bike, shotgun a beer, fire of a rifle, head bang etc

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yep as i said, already the Habsburg-Lothringen dynasty.
    Josef was son of Stephan of Lothringen, of course he was from this dynasty.

Deleted
    Um... for some of the tennis players this is the only chance they'll ever get at representing Germany. It's the high mark of their career and they're immensely proud and emotional about it. And then someone fucks it up and they're only in the press as a side note to "the nazi anthem playing".

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed, too.
    Why though? It's how large parts of the world still see Germany and will see it for a long time to come. It's not as if Germans do not throughly enjoy wallowing in their cult of guilt and self flagellation.

Look at Japan and how it dealt with it's past and what picture the world now has of them, then compare it to Germany and their approach. You reap what you sow.

What am I missing here, the tune is right I guess the lyrics are alternate?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    What am I missing here, the tune is right I guess the lyrics are alternate?
    Thou shalt not sing it !!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Why though? It's how large parts of the world still see Germany and will see it for a long time to come. It's not as if Germans do not throughly enjoy wallowing in their cult of guilt and self flagellation.

Look at Japan and how it dealt with it's past and what picture the world now has of them, then compare it to Germany and their approach. You reap what you sow.
    Always funny to read about germans cult of guilt and self flagellation from a non-german.

What picture has the world of japan? Weird fetishes and a over the top use of humbleness?

Deleted
    Always funny to read about germans cult of guilt and self flagellation from a non-german.
    I am actually half German, just not buying into the entire guilt cult. If you celebrate your supposed evilness, guilt and all the wrong things in the past you do not get to whine when others join in and actually view you that way.

What picture has the world of japan? Weird fetishes and a over the top use of humbleness?
    Two of many, mostly positive stereotypes. From hard working, to advanced, to one of the most curious and interesting countries there is. Aside from their direct neighbours, basically everyone has forgotten about the Imperial Japanese warcrimes and actions.

You made your bed, now lie in it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am actually half German, just not buying into the entire guilt cult. If you celebrate your supposed evilness, guilt and all the wrong things in the past you do not get to whine when others join in and actually view you that way.
    No one celebrates their evilness, guilt and all the wrong things in the past in germany. I don´t know what the german half of your family does but my buest guess is, they´re making fun of you.

Two of many, mostly positive stereotypes. From hard working, to advanced, to one of the most curious and interesting countries there is. Aside from their direct neighbours, basically everyone has forgotten about the Imperial Japanese warcrimes and actions.

You made your bed, now lie in it.
    Right, and no one ever thinks of germans as getting shit done in the most efficient and precise way possible, nope.

There is nothing about this that I do not find amusing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Meh, it's kind of your own fault for not changing the song to begin with, it's bound to confuse people every once in a while.
    Well, the theme is originally from Joseph Haydn's string quartet. Haydn was a close friend and mentor of Mozart. Abandoning such a composer just because a crazy guy with a moustache briefly took over would be a crime against art.