Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Plenty of Ideological and Political differences.

Also, I love yesterday seeing the reporters trying to get Trudeau and Trump to fight. Just trying to say shit opposite to the other to get them riled up.

- - - Updated - - -

That can be said about nearly every western nation though, Day to Day life is the same in a lot of places.
    Well yes, but OP was specifically asking about day to day life. Gun laws, social security, single-payer health care, immigration laws, and foreign policy don't really affect people culturally on a day to day basis.

Most western countries have at least a unique culture with thousands of years of history to help develop it, both the US and Canada are rather young and haven't really had the same opportunity to develop a truly unique culture.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-02-14 at 05:13 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

America has Texas and Canada doesn't, so Canada gets a little overpowered in that regard. Here's what I mean:

In high school, we had friends in Canada who came down to visit us for a week during spring break. By the time they left, they were regularly saying "y'all" and picking up a few Texan phrases.

A year later, we went to visit them (Edmonton to be exact) for a week and they were joking how we'd be saying "eh?" and picking up Canadian phrases. When we left, they were saying y'all again, but we hadn't picked up their phrases. >:3

I did get to see a moose chilling alongside a highway, so that was fun.

Our Canadian friends said a big difference between Canada and the US was "In the US you might get mugged by some nut with a gun. Up here you just get mugged by some nut with a baseball bat." Hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    In high school, we had friends in Canada who came down to visit us for a week during spring break. By the time they left, they were regularly saying "y'all" and picking up a few Texan phrases.

A year later, we went to visit them (Edmonton to be exact) for a week and they were joking how we'd be saying "eh?" and picking up Canadian phrases. When we left, they were saying y'all again, but we hadn't picked up their phrases. >:3
    I actually noticed that we pick up other accents really easily. Like when I was in the UK for a week or had my cousins from the UK visiting I would end up with a British accent. My brother and I went to New Zealand for a ski trip. There were a few aussies on the trip with us and we would switch between an Australian and New Zealand accent. I can't replicate any of those accents now though, I just have to be there.

Biggest difference is USA is wholly independent. In Canada Trudeau leads on behalf of Queen Elizabeth. She is the Head of State while in US President is Head of State.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    Biggest difference is USA is wholly independent. In Canada Trudeau leads on behalf of Queen Elizabeth. She is the Head of State while in US President is Head of State.
    And? That doesn't make us "less independent".

1> "Head of State" is a figurehead position without any real power or direct influence. Americans often confuse it with "Head of Government", which in Canada is the Prime Minister, because in the USA, the President wears both hats.

2> The Queen is the Queen of Canada. It's not like she's a foreigner.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hockey is much more physical up north.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    Canada is also wholly independent. The Queen of Canada is a completely separate title and job to that of Queen of the UK.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Well yes, but OP was specifically asking about day to day life. Gun laws, social security, single-payer health care, immigration laws, and foreign policy don't really affect people culturally on a day to day basis.

Most western countries have at least a unique culture with thousands of years of history to help develop it, both the US and Canada are rather young and haven't really had the same opportunity to develop a truly unique culture.

Timmys and Timbits. Our day to day existence is really perfect. But I do agree, you are right. Its only Canada's 150th this year.
    Last edited by Varitok; 2017-02-14 at 06:38 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    In all seriousness Canada seems to be a copy of Britain over here in the new world, while the US is doing its own thing. that's the obvious difference.
    Yeah like zee vs zed. I thought zed was its own word the first time I heard it.

7+ Year Old Account
    - - - Updated - - -

The food products differ quite a bit, we don't seem to import a lot of the candy cereals and soda's the states produces. I can't get cherry or vanilla coke in my town =/

I also feel like we might be more accepting of natural type medicine as a whole

Anytime someone is broken down on the side of the road someone stops to help as well

I do live in a smaller community though

I'm not sure there are that many differences , I don't think they would be greater than the differences between texas and montana or california and michigan. The same thing as how alberta and ontario are vastly different , the people obviously not geography

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    America has Texas and Canada doesn't, so Canada gets a little overpowered in that regard. Here's what I mean:

To be fair, much of Alberta desperately wishes they were North Texas, if the Conservative party wins back the provincial election next time - they may try to actually change their name.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2017-02-14 at 07:36 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    To be fair, much of Alberta desperately wishes they were North Texas, if the Conservative party wings back the provincial election next time - they may try to actually change their name.
    Montana and Alberta are a lot alike.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    As an American, Canada seems like a place that has more fun, is generally a much more positive country, and generally a much kinder place to live. I would not mind living there at all if I had the money. The cold and the snow might make it somewhat difficult but I think I could get used it. I like the cold weather and snow anyway.

America right now is just a fucking shitty mess right now. People just hate each other, protests everywhere all for different stupid nonsensical reasons, we have a shit president AND vice president AND pretty much the rest of our government has turned to shitty corrupted douchelords now too, SJWs coming out of the woodwork trying to spread their retardation, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria.

I'm sure Canada has it's problems too so I'm not going to say Canada is this paradise of peace and prosperity but I think it's safe to say that Canada right now is probably a much nicer place to be than America. In Canada, your life expectancy might go up too.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Talking Both of them cant afford dental treatment in their own country

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Day to day life isn't much different between the two countries. Most of our differences are political.
    Bot Americans & Canadians find it hard to afford extensive dental treatment in their countries. That is why many of them travel to India for their dental treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by dentalindia View Post
    Bot Americans & Canadians find it hard to afford extensive dental treatment in their countries. That is why many of them travel to India for their dental treatment.
    A plane ticket to India would be more expensive then most dental treatment ?

Canadians are friendlier in general and you guys don't have Florida my god Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    A plane ticket to India would be more expensive then most dental treatment ?
    Not if youre getting implants. Depending on how many could be over 20k.

In canada you can go outside and not get shot.

Fun Fact:

More than half the states in the United States have land that is north of the border with Canada.

Nice two year necro.