Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I honostly have no idea what people are talking about when comlaining about broken tab targeting.

I think tab targeting is extreamly easy to use.

It picks enemies in your direct view. that is, it will never taget stuff I can not see.
    It will not target something that is far out of my range.
    It will only target enemies behind me if they are very close to my characer.. like right on top of you.

When you have multiple mobs in your view, it will cycle through all of them before returning to your original target, thus making it easy to multidot..

I find situations where tab would target a enemy that are not in combat happens very rarely.. It only happens when in small areas where the distance between to packs are less than 30 yards. And even then, moving your characters view to not include those other packs would prevent tab from targeting them.
    Last edited by Quibble; 2017-02-14 at 08:05 PM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

The irony is that prior to this fuckup, tab-targetting in WoW was actually pretty amazing compared to other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Changes coming in 7.2. Chill...
    "Changes coming in 3-5 months, of something that has been unusably broken since the Legion pre-patch, Chill".

Resilience will fix it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibble View Post
    I honostly have no idea what people are talking about when comlaining about broken tab targeting.

It picks enemies in your direct view. that is, it will never taget stuff I can not see.
    It will only target enemies behind me if they are very close to my characer.. like right on top of you.

When you have multiple mobs in your view, it will cycle through all of them before returning to your original target, thus making it easy to multidot..

I find situations where tab would target a enemy that are not in combat happens very rarely.. It only happens when in small areas where the distance between to packs are less than 30 yards. And even then, moving your characters view to not include those other packs would prevent tab from targeting them.
    Your not experiencing it does not prove the non-existence of an issue, especially given within the context of this thread alone you are in the minority.

My experiences in response to your list;

- Stuff behind obstacles and at least once that I recall in a cave below me.
    - Don't recall ever targeting something out of range but that only proves I have never experienced it, not that it is not possible.
    - I have had mobs target behind me, in range but much further away than a mob right in front of me melee'ing me.

The cycling part has never been disputed, but it is the order in which they are targeted that is at issue here.

Personally I find tab-target-fail much more often than not. I have seen no evidence to suggest my view has any baring on the tab target behaviour.
    Last edited by mmoc150ef56254; 2017-02-14 at 10:12 PM. Reason: For some reason original post lost the quote I was replying to,

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Honestly, it's idiotic that they can't get this right. The rules are fairly simple:

1. Red before yellow (for open world stuff where there are a lot of neutral mobs)
    2. Mobs with which you're in combat before out of combat
    3. In front of the player at a 90 degree cone, then 180. Never tab behind the player.
    4. Closer before farther, i.e always prefer the mob 2 yards away vs 20.
    .. you'd think, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Your not experiencing it does not prove the non-existence of an issue, especially given within the context of this thread alone you are in the minority.
    No it doesn't..
    But I find it a little weird that I don't experienced any of this weird behaviour that people here do.. You would think I did if the system was really so broken.

especially given within the context of this thread alone you are in the minority.
    And the context of this thread isn't some sort of magically proof either.. It could just be a bunch of whiny brats who just suck at using the system, for all I know.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

- One billion mobs in front of u in open world and one enemy player from another faction 100 yrds away, guess who gets targeted. And no no matter how u tab it doesnt diselect him

-In dungeons it targets as 99% the furthest mobs and non in combat.

-Stand on the balcony above moroes in karazhan while u have all 50 of the trash in front of u and another 50 below and still it prio the bosses instead the 100 mobs which are no more than 10 yrds in front of u. I mean whos the coder that made it to prio something 150 yrds away on a floor below and not in combat.

-Go ahead and stand in front of krosus or cenarious as rogue in stealth 2 yrds away from them and start tabbing. Gl u will never get a target. Cant be more broken than this.

Switched it to pre 7.0 tab system via advancedinterface addon but it refuses to work correctly again. Even if u go apeshit and even temper with some files of the game (dont do it its not allowed) to try and make the addon to bring it back to pre 7.0 still doesnt work. They broke the code 100% and i have no idea why they even touched it. It was working decently before.
    Last edited by precious; 2017-02-14 at 08:28 PM.

Deleted
    Why use tab targeting when using your mouse and clicking name plates is so much faster and easier? :thinking:

Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    I have had absolutly none of these scenarios happen.

I'm ranged, so I haven't tried to stand 2 yards in front of Krosus.. But it works fine at 20-40 yards.

I'm a shadow priest..

Is this problem a melee only?

Is it broken? Or is it...

"Working as Intended"

?????

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    If it wasn't Wrath it was early Cata. Somewhere around 2010 is when tab target started becoming the mess it is today.
    QFT, it broke during Cata. And since then we had many threads and blizz got lots of feedback. They also responded a few times "we look into it" but I don't think if they are aware how tab felt before Cata so I guess instead of fixing it to what it was they will indeed try to remake it.

I dont think I've used TAB for targeting since 2006 or something... dont understand how people can use that and reliably perform how they intend?

Deleted
    No it doesn't..
    But I find it a little weird that I don't experienced any of this weird behaviour that people here do.. You would think I did if the system was really so broken.
    Weird yes, more likely that you do not notice it as much, subconsciously compensate, or just don't find yourself in the same situations that encourage this behaviour. At this point though you can only say that you "believe" there is no problem, not that there isn't one.

And the context of this thread isn't some sort of magically proof either.. It could just be a bunch of whiny brats who just suck at using the system, for all I know.
    As much as you could be some attention seeking arse claiming they have never seen the issues that so many more people within this thread have? Anything is possible I suppose.

As for the thread being some kind of proof I think you miss the point.

It only takes one person to experience/prove the issue to establish that there is an issue. You could provide 20 people who have never had the issue and it still wouldn't guarantee it doesn't exist only suggest that it might not exist.

Unless you wish to suggest that everyone's coincidentally identical and yet separate experiences are some sort of mass collaboration, the thread does prove that there is some kind of problem that a minority does not notice/experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post
    I dont think I've used TAB for targeting since 2006 or something... dont understand how people can use that and reliably perform how they intend?
    Nameplate clicker?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleybp View Post
    Why use tab targeting when using your mouse and clicking name plates is so much faster and easier? :thinking:
    Do that in a crowd of similarly sized mobs, all with spell effects etc going off. Do it when you want to quick dot up 4 trash mobs that are pulled by the tank but NOT any mob in the clump 20 yards away.

It only takes one person to experience/prove the issue to establish that there is an issue.
    No, one person is not enough to prove that an issue actually exist. Least of all if other people can not replicate the issue.

Unless you wish to suggest that everyone's coincidentally identical and yet separate experiences are some sort of mass collaboration, the thread does prove that there is some kind of problem that a minority does not notice/experience.
    I guess I won't make that claim, if you have an issue you have an issue.
    But that issue can very well be a personal one or an addon. If I can't replicate it, I'm inclinded to believe it's a peronal one.

Nameplate clicker?
    Probably mouseover macro's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleybp View Post
    Why be here when you could be in the kitchen, bitch :thinking:

I most certainly recall the tab-targeting system first having issues during early Cataclysm. Specifically, I am talking about when hunters abilities automatically targeted an enemy that they should not have.

I have specific memories of the Lost City of Tol'vir, in the bazaar area with patrols and neutral camels. The tank would pull the pack just outside the hallway we entered from, I would face the group and use arcane shot, and it targeted an out-of-combat group thirty yards away. On another run, it targeted a neutral camel.

Now, this obviously was not directly an issue with tab-targeting, but the auto-targeting system behaved in exactly the same way as if one had pressed tab. This was a large enough issue, that auto-targeting was taken away from hunter abilities (possibly all ranged, but I only ever played hunter).
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

better question is why is it in the game in the first place?

Deleted
    No, one person is not enough to prove that an issue actually exist. Least of all if other people can not replicate the issue.
    Not quite my point. Let me try an analogy;

If the argument is whether something exists, a bear in the woods for example, 20 people saying they have never seen a bear does not prove it does not exist. Only that it may not exist. If just one person says they have seen the bear (baring any possibility that they might be lying of course) then the consensus becomes that the bear exists and that the 20 just happened not to see it.

With this issue the same logic applies. If I had never experienced the issue and you tell me you also have not experienced it, between us we only know that the issue MAY not exist. We do not know it does not exist. But now, I have told you that I have experienced the issue so logically the situation is that the issue DOES exist, and that you just haven't experienced it.

Basically when proving the existence of something, those that have proof it exists have a far easier time proving their argument than those that do not.

Unfortunately in this instance you find yourself on the side trying prove to those who have seen the "bear" that because you have not seen it, we must not have seen it either.

But that issue can very well be a personal one or an addon.
    It could however in previous discussions of this kind, over the last 5-6 years for me at least various people including myself have tested with a bare bones client and found the same experience.

If I can't replicate it, I'm inclinded to believe it's a peronal one.
    Not a very scientific conclusion, quite closed minded in fact. However it is entirely your choice to believe it.