Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Cue the people who don't recognize the important part of a "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea.

Isn't the issue whether he is a threat to society still?

- - - Updated - - -

Cue the people who don't recognize the important part of a "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    He should be monitored though, at the very least. Schizophrenics are dangerous as fuck, and this one just killed and cannibalized someone... At best he should be institutionalized.
    I don't see how they justified releasing him; so far as I know after being committed (which was required by that plea), they'd only release him if his illness was under control and the doctors felt he could manage on his own. I don't see how that could be the case.

I'm just making the point that a "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea fundamentally means this guy's not convicted of murder. He was committed as dangerously insane, meaning it's up to his doctors, basically.

And you don't have to tell me about schizophrenics; my ex-father-in-law was schizophrenic, and I've had to talk him back into taking his medications when he was in full-on "my family aren't who they say they are, they've been replaced" mode. Since I wasn't long-term family, he still recognized me as me, which is the only reason I could get through to him. He'd never hurt anyone, though. It's freaky and scary, and it's worse for the schizophrenic, but that in and of itself doesn't make them "dangerous".
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-02-14 at 11:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Endus, Endus, Endus...... so if I were insane and decided that my Neighbor Phil probably tasted delicious and I went Hannibal Lector on him would I be free to go about my life because I'm insane. because Phil tastes like chicken and he's closer than the store.
    If you pled insanity and were found not guilty as a result, and then your doctors said you were stable and safe, yes. That's literally how the system is meant to work in this respect. It's exactly why insanity pleas exist.

He should be monitored though, at the very least. Schizophrenics are dangerous as fuck, and this one just killed and cannibalized someone... At best he should be institutionalized.
    To be fair, he did not "just" kill and cannibalize someone..it happened in 2008.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Schizophrenics are actually not dangerous "as fuck".

15+ Year Old Account
    There has to be nuance though. He might have done it due to mental illness and pose no threat when he's well, but that's no reason not to forcibly ensure he stays on his medication and occasionally check his mental health. He has proven he can kill someone when unwell.

There's plenty of people who are forcibly given injections at set interval to make sure they don't become ill, and that's people who haven't murdered anyone.

I was wondering why the grey hound motto changed to "its finger licking good" recently...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Many of them are.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post

If he was thought to still be a danger he would not be released.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only on MMO-C Gen OT do we get people defending someone that beheaded and ate a person.

It is a good time to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Many of them are.
    Most of them are more dangerous to themselves than others. Mental illness should always be threated individually. Even our court system prefer a per case basis, theres no reason to paint brush an entire mental disorder as dangerous to the population. Theres more schizophrenics outside of prisons than inside at any rate.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-02-14 at 11:40 PM.

Many of them are.
    Many of anything are dangerous... just curious how many is "many"? 500? 1000?

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Only on MMO-C Gen OT do we get people defending someone that beheaded and ate a person.

It is a good time to be alive.
    Whats there to defend or not defend. You realize what Schizophrenia is? I had a cousin drive his car off a cliff because he stopped taking his medication for two weeks. The voices in his head would tell him to kill himself before he was under medication.

It's good to see Canada taking such a progressive view towards Schizophrenia. Far too many countries judge these poor people too harshly.

Keep leading the way guys.

Except let's ignore the fact that people aren't saying he should be in jail. Most not guilty by insanity are still put into psychiatric care unless it was deemed temporary. His case is not temporary. Loraina Bobbit was deemed temporary because it was induced allegedly by the abuse her husband inflicted upon her.

So no, cue the mod who doesn't understand how that verdict works.

10+ Year Old Account
    There has to be nuance though. He might have done it due to mental illness and pose no threat when he's well, but that's no reason not to forcibly ensure he stays on his medication and occasionally check his mental health. He has proven he can kill someone when unwell.

There's plenty of people who are forcibly given injections at set interval to make sure they don't become ill, and that's people who haven't murdered anyone.
    Like I said; I might take issue with his doctor's decision that he's safe to release, but A> I'm not a psychiatrist and B> I haven't been treating him nor seen his records. I'm just pointing out the legal position; a "not criminally responsible" plea means you get committed, but you're not guilty of the crime in question. So there's no sentence issued. You're treated by your doctor and, in theory, not released if you're a danger to the public, but if your doctor decides you're safe to release, you can go home. And you're still not guilty of the crime you were deemed not guilty of, in that case.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-02-14 at 11:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Most of them are more dangerous to themselves than others. Mental illness should always be threated individually. Even our court system prefer a per case basis, theres no reason to paint brush an entire mental disorder as dangerous to the population. Theres more schizophrenics outside of prisons than outside at any rate.
    Sure. And a lot are dangerous to others trying to stop them harming themselves (such a psychiatric healthcare workers, police, family), and some are almost exclusively a threat to others. Some don't become sick enough to be dangerous to anyone. There's a wide spectrum.

Schizophrenics can be very dangerous, and at significantly higher rates than the healthy population. Maybe it's unfair to paint every one of them as dangerous, but you should be very cautious when dealing with ill schizophrenics (unless you know how they function when sick very well), for good reason.

See, you let them think it's normal to drink milk out of a bag and it only goes downhill from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

If anyone is actually interested in his treatment here are some cliffnotes:

• On June 3, 2010, Li was granted supervised outdoor walks within his mental health facility as voted by the provincial review board.
    • On May 30, 2011, the CBC reported that Li is responding well to his psychiatric treatment and that his doctor has recommended that he will receive more freedoms, phased in over several months.
    • On May 17, 2012, the National Post reported that Li has been granted temporary passes that will allow him out of the Selkirk Mental Health Centre for visits to the town of Selkirk, supervised by a nurse and peace officer. In an interview, Li spoke for the first time, saying that he began hearing "the voice of God" in 2004 and that he wanted to save the people from an alien attack.
    • On February 27, 2014, the CBC reported that on March 6, Li will be allowed to have unsupervised visits to Selkirk, starting at 30 minutes and expanding to full-day trips. Since 2013, he is allowed to have supervised visits to Lockport, Winnipeg, and nearby beaches. Those visits will be relaxed.
    • On February 27, 2015, CBC News reported that Li was given unsupervised day passes to visit Winnipeg so long as he carried a functioning cellular telephone while using them.
    • On May 8, 2015, CTV News reported that Li will be granted passes to group homes in the community.
    • In February, 2016, it was reported that Li had legally changed his name and was seeking to leave his group home to live independently. He won the right to live alone in February 26th upon the recommendation of the Criminal Code Review Board.
    • On February 10, 2017, the Manitoba Criminal Code Review Board ordered Li be discharged. Li was granted an absolute discharge. There will be no legal obligations or restrictions pertaining to Li's independent living.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Then you don't know a lot about schizophrenics. They're not neccessarily dangerous to others, they can be dangerous to themselves as well. The problem with schizophrenics is that they can be extremely unpredictable, and it's not their fault. Their condition can be extremely volatile and opressive if they're not medicated and monitored, and it can put themselves, and other at risk of injury, or worst case scenario, shit like the OP.

One that is dangerous like in the OP can appear just as inconspicuous as a schizophrenic who'd never hurt a fly.

Not trying to fear-monger, but ignorance doesn't serve anyone in this case. And this guy from the OP clearly needs help, wheather he recognizes it as help or not.