Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleybp View Post
    Why use tab targeting when using your mouse and clicking name plates is so much faster and easier? :thinking:
    Probably because that is slower than when the tab function functions properly. I only use the mouse to highlight something if the tab just refuses to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quibble View Post

Is this problem a melee only?
    No its a ranged problem too, particularly when there are multiple mobs you're attacking, and several that you are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    I most certainly recall the tab-targeting system first having issues during early Cataclysm. Specifically, I am talking about when hunters abilities automatically targeted an enemy that they should not have.
    I too remember it being wonky at some point in Cata. I vaguely remember there eventually being a blue post saying they were fixing it to not target anything that was out of combat when you are in combat, and they did fix it, only for it to be back again.
    Last edited by saintminya; 2017-02-14 at 11:30 PM.

The tab targeting fix is literally the thing Im most excited about in 7.2

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    If just one person says they have seen the bear (baring any possibility that they might be lying of course) then the consensus becomes that the bear exists and that the 20 just happened not to see it.
    No, It does not..

You basicly saying Bigfoot, Nessy and other mythic creatures exist because some people claim it.
    You need actual proof of something.. Not just a few unstable peoples say so.

However, I didn't actually say that you don't have those targeting issues..
    I gave my view of tab targeting, that I didn't really understand the problem and gave a run down of how the targeting works, of which I find extreamly easy to use.

Then kinda went a little offtopic with my next reply.

But in general, if you can't give proof of a bug or show how to replicate it.. Why should we believe you?

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Not a very scientific conclusion, quite closed minded in fact. However it is entirely your choice to believe it.
    So because I'm inclined not to believe you, when you don't have proof and can't show how to replicate it, I'm closed minded? Are you sure you understand how science work? Because science isn't based on faith, you actually need to show proofs and make documentations so other can replicate your position.

It's a little fun actually, how you and other people. Based on threads like this get the idea that you are part of some majority of players that have an issue.. When it is just a tiny outspoking minority.

But I'd like quickly go back to this.

I have seen no evidence to suggest my view has any baring on the tab target behaviour.
    As I am not the only one who mentioned that the game uses your characters face direction when picking targets.

Before writing my original reply, I went out and had a little fun with tab targeting. To me it was very apparent that your characters view (the direction it is facing) has an inpact on tab targeting.

But then again, as you descibe your problem it seems your game for whatever reason should not be following this basic rule of tab targeting.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post
    it was fine until they broke it
    To be fair here, they broke it back in 4.2 about 6 years ago. It's NEVER been right since.

Quote Originally Posted by saintminya View Post
    As a mage juggling targets I find myself pulling mobs just at the end of my reach if i'm not too careful. 7.2 cant come soon enough.
    Pulling mobs you can't even see standing to the left or right of you... that's annoying.

As it stands - my raid trash dps suffers sometimes as I'm trying to make sure I don't wipe the party. But it is only trash.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    To be fair here, they broke it back in 4.2 about 6 years ago. It's NEVER been right since.
    Worked fine all the way through MoP and WoD at least... well, it worked acceptably in that it didn't target things that weren't in front of you.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Probably because it's a 12 year old game or something. The targeting system definitely needs an overhaul...but so does lots of other systems.
    Whole game needs a rehaul. Game is 12.5 years old, some of the first code for the engine was written almost 20 years ago.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by exeetor View Post
    OR you just use the "target nearest in a line" tab targeting that is implemented in the game instead and you will always target the closest enemy in a line infront of your character. This makes it so you always get the one that you always target someone that is a dpsable target.
    I just changed so tab does this and shift + tab is the old setting.
    This makes me never target a random target far away.
    Sure its a tad bit harder to cycle through a pack if u want to for example spread out the damage but for me its more important to instantly get a target to dps no matter what target (BoS frost DK, so I cant skip GCDs really)
    Where can one find this setting? (Also frost DK)

Deleted
    Tab targeting for melee should simply look like this:

Tab cycles through targets within a frontal 90 degrees cone with priority from closest to farthest.

It might even be implemented like this now, the problem seems: it is not taken into account when targets change distance or get into/leave line of sight.

It feels like the game takes a targets distance/LoS "snapshot" every now and then what is cycled through while tabbing. This targets/priority table or array just seems not to update when moving closer and turning to targets. You move and turn towards a target or a group of targets and consequently you expect to tab target them. This is just not happening in many situations.

Source on 7.2 Tab fixing:

Tab Targeting
    In Patch 7.2, tab targeting should feel more natural. While in combat, you will no longer be able to accidentally tab to a target that is out of combat with you. Furthermore, you’re no longer able to tab to a target that neither your character nor your camera can see. This is very much a work-in-progress, and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

loled'

If you've trouble finding your cursor in that shitfest that going on your screen.. i recommend this: http://pandateemo.github.io/YoloMouse/
    Helped me out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Whole game needs a rehaul. Game is 12.5 years old, some of the first code for the engine was written almost 20 years ago.
    They still use invisible rabbits as triggers and shit that people used as workarounds in WC3.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I've been playing since BC and this has rarely worked for me.
    I have been playing since vanilla and tab targeting has always worked except for Hall of Lightning, just after the first boss, and trash on the boat in Deadmines Heroic in Cata. I think it is probably a learn to play issue. If you are not facing the right direction, maybe that is why you are having problems targeting mobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

They should open the tab functionality to addons (probably in PvE only to prevent huge QQ).

Yes it's going to lead to an addon that auto selects important mobs, but whatever Blizzard implement is going to be a clusterfuck not suited to everyone. We all want different behaviour, and that can vary by class and encounter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight White Whale View Post
    Too late man. This should've been fixed launchweek.
    Too late for what though? I mean what's going to happen as a result of it not being fixed yet?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eucaliptus View Post
    How do you manage to find your mouse cursor with all those spell effects on screen during raid? Scorpyron is a pain...
    I use an addon called Snowfallcursor, it hasn't been updated since 2010 but works fine. Basically it makes the cursor glow when moved, the faster it's moved the bigger the glow, it never becomes distracting but it's great for instantly finding the cursor when you move it.

This thread amuses me. Tab targeting issues was one of the reasons I could not get back into wow after my long break during WOD. Frustrated me to no end in dungeons when mass pulling things. Rather than get any of the targets in the pulled mob, I would get mobs super far away.

I wish they added the option of Tab Targeting only to targets you are in combat with.

When i am tanking 5 mobs i have no wish to tab to some mob i am not in combat with.

So just giving me the option of tab targeting only between targets i am in combat with would be great.

Deleted
    No, It does not..

You basicly saying Bigfoot, Nessy and other mythic creatures exist because some people claim it.
    You need actual proof of something.. Not just a few unstable peoples say so.

However, I didn't actually say that you don't have those targeting issues..
    I gave my view of tab targeting, that I didn't really understand the problem and gave a run down of how the targeting works, of which I find extreamly easy to use.

Then kinda went a little offtopic with my next reply.

But in general, if you can't give proof of a bug or show how to replicate it.. Why should we believe you?
    *sigh* You're focusing on the proof side of things. Please re-read the post you quoted, the line in brackets renders this entire section I've quoted irrelevant. I don't expect you to believe without proof, and I would take the same stance as you on that point. But you still miss that it is easier for us to prove our experience than you are yours. If I showed you the photo of bigfoot, how would you disprove it? Your argument *appears* to suggest you can simply show me a photo that doesn't have bigfoot in it.

So because I'm inclined not to believe you, when you don't have proof and can't show how to replicate it, I'm closed minded? Are you sure you understand how science work? Because science isn't based on faith, you actually need to show proofs and make documentations so other can replicate your position.
    I do understand it. You said if you don't see it for yourself you are unwilling to accept it might be true. Don't over complicate this point. You are unable to replicate therefore the issue cannot be a failing on your part but must be on ours.

It's a little fun actually, how you and other people. Based on threads like this get the idea that you are part of some majority of players that have an issue.. When it is just a tiny outspoking minority.
    The sample data size I have to hand are the various posts within this thread. There are a greater number of unique posts complaining or agreeing with my point than yours. I have made no claim that my sample data is based on the experiences outside this thread although I did make reference to previous threads in which I had similar experiences. As you were not involved in those I do not expect you to accept the data however they were a similar experience.

Again I am also amused by outspoken individuals who claim they speak for a whole community based on their personal belief which is a reason why I am often careful how I phrase things. If this did not come across within my posts then that is a failing on my part to communicate, but it is definitely not an example of my believing my sample set involves anything outside of this thread.

But I'd like quickly go back to this.

"I have seen no evidence to suggest my view has any baring on the tab target behaviour. "

As I am not the only one who mentioned that the game uses your characters face direction when picking targets.

Before writing my original reply, I went out and had a little fun with tab targeting. To me it was very apparent that your characters view (the direction it is facing) has an inpact on tab targeting.

But then again, as you descibe your problem it seems your game for whatever reason should not be following this basic rule of tab targeting.
    Agreed, but returning to my original point at the beginning of this post, your finding your experience does not mean ours are invalid, only that it doesn't happen to everyone. But then this is something else I've noticed in previous threads I have been involved in. It isn't universal, but we have never (to the best of my knowledge) been able to pin down any factors that affect the issue.

Deleted
    No. What are you talking about. Tab targeting broke with Legion. It was still ok in WoD.
    They broke it at end of MoP (when they redid lots of internal code). Legion version was worse and now they broke it even more.
    So technically it's doublebroke.

7+ Year Old Account
    Too late man. This should've been fixed launchweek.
    It shouldn't have been changed at all, don't know what mister blizzard was thinking.