Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    No the real line is that it can't be an animal. What if you found an animal that couldn't feel pain and didn't seem to care whether it lived or died? Do you think vegans would be fine with consuming it?
    First of all, I'm a vegan. Secondly, I actually know quite a few vegans as I live on vegan farm animal sanctuary that promotes veganism.

As we know, all animals with a central nervous system can feel pain and therefore can suffer. You can make up all the hypothetical animals or scenarios you want, but in reality, that is the line and I'm speaking from a position of knowledge.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Deleted
    commercial mushrooms are grown in mostly horse shit.. so an animal was involved

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    First of all, I'm a vegan. Secondly, I actually know quite a few vegans as I live on vegan farm animal sanctuary that promotes veganism.

As we know, all animals with a central nervous system can feel pain and therefore can suffer. You can make up all the hypothetical animals or scenarios you want, but in reality, that is the line.
    Yeah you're right. I guess it doesn't really matter where you draw it in that case.

I wouldn't think so but I don't blame anyone for not eating fungus, I don't trust that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Yeah you're right. I guess it doesn't really matter where you draw it in that case.
    The real motto of ethical vegans is, "do the least amount of harm possible".
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Im confused about the definition of vegan. Is it they cannot eat meat or must they only eat plants?
    I believe it's "no animal products". Including meat, milk, sometimes honey, etc.

I think fungi are a pretty common element of vegan diets, mushrooms for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyart View Post
    commercial mushrooms are grown in mostly horse shit.. so an animal was involved
    I don't think vegans have to avoid eating anything that's part of the biosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't think vegans have to avoid eating anything that's part of the biosphere.
    So like, if they happened to own a few chickens (legal in my city) and used the eggs? Hens plop those out as part of their daily routine.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Im confused about the definition of vegan. Is it they cannot eat meat or must they only eat plants? Can they eat fungi or a nice flagellate stew?
    These are rules of thumb and not absolutes as people are individuals after all...

Vegan:
    No animal products, food or otherwise. The goal is to do the least amount of harm possible. This is an ethical choice.

Vegetarian:
    No eating of animals. Dairy and animal products are ok. This can be an ethical and/or health choice.

Pescetarian:
    No eating of mammals. Dairy and seafood (and sometimes poultry) are ok. This can be an ethical and/or health choice.

Plant based diet:
    No eating of animals or dairy. Using animal products is ok. This is a health choice.

Raw vegan:
    Only eats nonprocessed or uncooked fruits and vegetables and no use of animal products. This can be an ethical and/or health choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    So like, if they happened to own a few chickens (legal in my city) and used the eggs? Hens plop those out as part of their daily routine.
    There's a tenuous line on that actually.

Some find it ok if you have chickens as rescues or pets only. The problems come in if you begin to depend on those eggs because that can lead to purchasing of chickens to get more eggs. Also, it makes it easier to cheat when out in restaurants if there's an egg product or something with egg ingredients. That's bad because those eggs generally come from horrible places.
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2017-02-15 at 12:33 PM.

I don't think vegans eat eggs since they consider them animal products. Vegetarians and various kinds of not-entirely-vegans do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If that's the case, then this is essentially a partial utilitarian calculation and should you not entertain the notion that meat consumption with responsible choice of manufacturers might actually be less harm in the long run by promoting more ethical meat production and helping those who engage in such things to take over the market, rather than simply abandoning the market, a rather extreme move most people are unlikely to follow suit on, and giving up your ability to influence the manufacturing behavior of meat and another animal products?
    No, but I understand why you'd think that.

Conventional meat production, "ethical" or not is about killing the animals. So that right there means you're doing harm that isn't necessary or unavoidable.

You cannot meet the demand for meat and dairy and have ethical production. 15 billion animals are killed every year. Line speeds at factory farms are insanely high.

The only way the meat/dairy market can meet demand and not do harm is a lab-grown product. Basically cloning a steak, for example. Which I hope becomes the only method someday.

The simple fact of the matter, is the average cow is slaughtered after 18 months, and after weaning, means a cow eats around 27 lbs/a day of feed (grass/hay, corn, oats, soy, etc.) for a little over a year. They only produce about 500 lbs. So doing the math, it costs almost 10,000lbs of food to produce 500 lbs of meat. when we consider the average person needs 6 lbs of food a day and that food can be grown in the same place the cows' food is grown....

That's not true. All mammals and birds are sentient. Many reptiles are as well. There's not enough data on fish and crustaceans yet.

But the real line for vegans is the ability to suffer. If the being can suffer, than no go.
    Wasn't there some studies in recent years that showed plants reacting to being eaten and stuff, and "warning" others when it was?

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Wasn't there some studies in recent years that showed plants reacting to being eaten and stuff, and "warning" others when it was?
    Yes. Reacting to stimulus is not the same as feeling pain, however. There is no central nervous system so its just flatly not possible for plants to feel pain.

The "warning" others I don't know about and don't remember hearing.

Deleted
    Vegans can do as they please. It's not like you get a mark of shame for eating fungi...
    Vegans eats what they think is right - and surprise, some are more strict that others. But in general a vegan dosnt eat meat, beside from that its very different..

Yes. Reacting to stimulus is not the same as feeling pain, however. There is no central nervous system so its just flatly not possible for plants to feel pain.

The "warning" others I don't know about and don't remember hearing.
    Well, chemical signals from severed leaves and branches are taken care of in basically the same way as a wound on a person. Clotting cells are rushed to a wound and it is grown over with bark and all such. The signals could be interpreted as pain, but not pain like an animal feels.

That being said, I think the ideal diet is definitely one that is vegetarian for humans. Protein should be a part of it, but not the focus. Your example of lab grown meat above is coming eventually, but we're not quite there yet. I'd love it if we could figure out replication technology like Star Trek has. Want a juciy steak? just rearrange atoms into it.

For myself, I'd love to go vegetarian, even vegan. However, breakfast sausage and steak just taste too damn good to give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Not after seeing this guy

The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

There's a tenuous line on that actually.

Some find it ok if you have chickens as rescues or pets only. The problems come in if you begin to depend on those eggs because that can lead to purchasing of chickens to get more eggs. Also, it makes it easier to cheat when out in restaurants if there's an egg product or something with egg ingredients. That's bad because those eggs generally come from horrible places.
    First, I'm glad this is an actual conversation.

Second, it is a tenuous line. Many (most?) vegans I know are also pet owners. As a person who lives with a dog and a cat, I know both are consuming resources and providing none (although I have had dog stew... not in the US!).

Third, if the "least harm" doctrine applies, shouldn't pet ownership of hens that, quite literally, plop down 1-2 eggs per day be preferable to a cat that is an obligate carnivore?

Fourth, my industry is wrestling with mistreatment of animals, generally. Farm to table is a thing, meaning I actually and personally know the farmers involved in produce to the extent that I can.

Fifth, why the fuck are eggs usually sold in the dairy section at most stores?

*edit. Sixth: Hens themselves are omnivores. They eat bugs or whatever they can get a beak on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't think vegans eat eggs since they consider them animal products. Vegetarians and various kinds of not-entirely-vegans do.
    I guess seven: Bees make honey as part of their daily routine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    plants and fungi are living entities.
    Are you really that dumb? 18k posts and this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Third, if the "least harm" doctrine applies, shouldn't pet ownership of hens that, quite literally, plop down 1-2 eggs per day be preferable to a cat that is an obligate carnivore?
    I've read multiple articles claiming pets can subsist on vegan diet. I know a guy who keeps his dog this way; won't link his blog as it's in Hungarian.

Fifth, why the fuck are eggs usually sold in the dairy section at most stores?
    Refrigeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I've read multiple articles claiming pets can subsist on vegan diet. I know a guy who keeps his dog this way; won't link his blog as it's in Hungarian.
    Dogs are omnivores. Cats are not.

Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Out of curiosity, and this is somewhat related, if we could vat grow meat, would it be vegan?
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

-Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)