Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Ah yes, that guy. The one who's sole purpose in life is to be top DPS and brag about it. Unfortunately it doesn't matter when or where you play, he'll be around somewhere. I've even done runs of Copperbell Mines where that guy is in the group and feels the need to point out that he's doing ever so much better than the level 17 new guys. I'm sure he feels it's as brag worthy an achivement as winning a gold medal, a nobel prize and the lottery all at once. The rest of us don't give a flying.

The bad news is when they realise that no one is paying them any attention, they go and do the kind of thing the Monk in your raid did. They just want recognition, if no one gives them it they do, eventually, go away.
    Best way to deal with 'that guy' is just say 'and how do you know what everyones dps is?' since parsers are a bannable offense that gets them to shut up 9 times out of 10, the other time they usually call me a 'casual faggut that needs to gb2 wow' -which is funny because usually they have a name like "arhtass lichking" or "darklady silvanus" and they drop group.

I actually watched an unintentionally fascinating video a while back where some WoW arena players were talking about FFXIV's pvp saying "i love it but im banned for calling others faggots, its like they think trash talking isnt part of pvp and why we do it and thats just toxic thinking" which just goes to show how there are some players that forget this is a japanese mmo. It is not our culture of "fuck you asshole you are all here to serve me and facilitate MY experience" and it was more evident with all the in game lines and ques during the beta and early 2.0 but still around. The douchebag culture that creates 'that guy' in western produced games is not as big a thing here and is absolutely not tolerated at all. Call them out on it rather than get in a shitflinging match and most either learn some manners or just go "that games full of whiny babies" and go back to whatever cesspool they came from.

Unless its Balmung of course, thats a swamp for the duration now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Best way to deal with 'that guy'
    is tossing him a <°)))>< and then either ignore or laugh at the consequences.

Best way to deal with 'that guy' is just say 'and how do you know what everyones dps is?' since parsers are a bannable offense that gets them to shut up 9 times out of 10, the other time they usually call me a 'casual faggut that needs to gb2 wow' -which is funny because usually they have a name like "arhtass lichking" or "darklady silvanus" and they drop group.

I actually watched an unintentionally fascinating video a while back where some WoW arena players were talking about FFXIV's pvp saying "i love it but im banned for calling others faggots, its like they think trash talking isnt part of pvp and why we do it and thats just toxic thinking" which just goes to show how there are some players that forget this is a japanese mmo. It is not our culture of "fuck you asshole you are all here to serve me and facilitate MY experience" and it was more evident with all the in game lines and ques during the beta and early 2.0 but still around. The douchebag culture that creates 'that guy' in western produced games is not as big a thing here and is absolutely not tolerated at all. Call them out on it rather than get in a shitflinging match and most either learn some manners or just go "that games full of whiny babies" and go back to whatever cesspool they came from.

Unless its Balmung of course, thats a swamp for the duration now
    I could've went that route with the call out, but it'd be pretty hypocritical since I run ACT also. I may point out a lacking dps to friends over Discord, but I know better than to say anything about it in game, lest I get the banhammer.

There's a fine line between talking trash and being a total asshole. Seems evident that person/people you refer to falls in the latter category.

I actually like the fact that the DRG shittalking my friend is on Balmung as well. I could opt to blacklist them if I wanted. I'm just gonna see if we ever get that guy in a DF run ever again (especially if I'm dpsing) and turn the table on him "Geez is taking forever...maybe if our DRG read a guide and knew what to do".

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I could've went that route with the call out, but it'd be pretty hypocritical since I run ACT also. I may point out a lacking dps to friends over Discord, but I know better than to say anything about it in game, lest I get the banhammer.
    Before I even get into the dude being a dbag, can I ask just how far behind your friend was and what your ACT settings were (possible he was using it as well and you guys could have had drastically different encounter settings)? I mean If the other DRG was doing say 2k (I have no idea what relative numbers are these days, haven't played since first tier of Alex savage) and your buddy was doing 700 he has grounds to OFFER the advice of reading a guide, especially if his gear wasn't terribly far behind (weapon was like 80% of your DPS back when I played not sure if the same now).

Now before the pain train tries to discredit me or hound me I'm not advocating his remarks or attitude. I merely am saying depending on the data there could be reason to speak up in a positive way rather than negative. I also know that sometimes people embellish quite dramatically about how a so-called "elitist" talked down to them when all he merely said was that you could have done a little more dps with your gear, here's a good guide to check out to see if you might learn something new.

There's a big difference between the above and saying"BRUH UR BAGGEST DBAG WORST DRG NA, GO GIT GUD SCRUB HAHAHAHA!11!". Please also note: I am not implying you're embellishing in the least, I am merely stating that I am aware that it does occur from time to time when people are of the especially sensitive snowflake type.

For reference I openly talked about ACT in game all the time (from 2.1->3.2). You don't get banned for using the parser even talking about it, you get banned for harassing people. I understand its against the ToS, but here in the US it's also illegal to cross the street if you're not at an intersection, but no one gets ticketed or arrested for it... I've kicked people from PF groups for bad performance using ACT as my measure and explained to them in private why they were removed. I explained that their DPS was on average x% lower, and offered tips for improvement (only applicable to DRG's since that's what I play, but offered up theorycrafting threads for other classes). I even offer to add them to friends and to bring me if they're ever looking for a DPS to help get people clears.

I also understand everyone is not me. People lack compassion and empathy I get it. There are going to be cases where there is nothing you can do but move forward, but the entire point of my rant was to demonstrate that if someone is saying something to you it doesn't automatically mean they are wrong so don't get upset or angry.. Keep in mind it doesn't mean they're automatically right either, that's why I also support everyone having the data in their own hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Before I even get into the dude being a dbag, can I ask just how far behind your friend was and what your ACT settings were (possible he was using it as well and you guys could have had drastically different encounter settings)? I mean If the other DRG was doing say 2k (I have no idea what relative numbers are these days, haven't played since first tier of Alex savage) and your buddy was doing 700 he has grounds to OFFER the advice of reading a guide, especially if his gear wasn't terribly far behind (weapon was like 80% of your DPS back when I played not sure if the same now).

Now before the pain train tries to discredit me or hound me I'm not advocating his remarks or attitude. I merely am saying depending on the data there could be reason to speak up in a positive way rather than negative. I also know that sometimes people embellish quite dramatically about how a so-called "elitist" talked down to them when all he merely said was that you could have done a little more dps with your gear, here's a good guide to check out to see if you might learn something new.

There's a big difference between the above and saying"BRUH UR BAGGEST DBAG WORST DRG NA, GO GIT GUD SCRUB HAHAHAHA!11!". Please also note: I am not implying you're embellishing in the least, I am merely stating that I am aware that it does occur from time to time when people are of the especially sensitive snowflake type.

For reference I openly talked about ACT in game all the time (from 2.1->3.2). You don't get banned for using the parser even talking about it, you get banned for harassing people. I understand its against the ToS, but here in the US it's also illegal to cross the street if you're not at an intersection, but no one gets ticketed or arrested for it... I've kicked people from PF groups for bad performance using ACT as my measure and explained to them in private why they were removed. I explained that their DPS was on average x% lower, and offered tips for improvement (only applicable to DRG's since that's what I play, but offered up theorycrafting threads for other classes). I even offer to add them to friends and to bring me if they're ever looking for a DPS to help get people clears.

I also understand everyone is not me. People lack compassion and empathy I get it. There are going to be cases where there is nothing you can do but move forward, but the entire point of my rant was to demonstrate that if someone is saying something to you it doesn't automatically mean they are wrong so don't get upset or angry.. Keep in mind it doesn't mean they're automatically right either, that's why I also support everyone having the data in their own hands.
    Don't have my ACT settings on hand, but they're set to pretty much pick up anything in proximity. I'm even getting data from mobs and stuff, heh.

Going off of memory, the 270 guy was in at 2.1k overall, my friend (256 ilvl) at 1.7k. Further behind than he should be...maybe? Enough of a difference to warrant the commentary dispensed at the end of a 17-18 min dungeon clear? I think not. Do I think my friend could've pulled off maybe 1.8-1.9k? Possibly, but I am not enough of a DRG expert to say. I always believe in room to improve, even though there is a ceiling at some point.

Were my friend one of those 700 dps DRGs, trust me...I would call them out on that, and quickly. Said friend also expects that of me, too..."Dude if you ever think I am doing shit dps let me know". I'll definitely do that for them. I'm just veeeery leery of calling out a random on it, given the reputation of this game's GMs. Maybe that rep is exaggeration as a fearmonger tactic. I don't know, and I'm not going to be daring enough to find out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post

Οh I m with you I kick people cause of shitty dps all the time. Especially if they dont wanna listen. This one time I had a drg in a light farm a1s party just spamming 1-2-3 and the impulse drive combo, standing in front of the boss and not even poping any cds or doing positionals. Like.... bruh.

Well i lost wind up echidna, califosteri AND schathac by ONE point every time.

Perfectly calm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Don't have my ACT settings on hand, but they're set to pretty much pick up anything in proximity. I'm even getting data from mobs and stuff, heh.

Going off of memory, the 270 guy was in at 2.1k overall, my friend (256 ilvl) at 1.7k. Further behind than he should be...maybe? Enough of a difference to warrant the commentary dispensed at the end of a 17-18 min dungeon clear? I think not. Do I think my friend could've pulled off maybe 1.8-1.9k? Possibly, but I am not enough of a DRG expert to say. I always believe in room to improve, even though there is a ceiling at some point.

Were my friend one of those 700 dps DRGs, trust me...I would call them out on that, and quickly. Said friend also expects that of me, too..."Dude if you ever think I am doing shit dps let me know". I'll definitely do that for them. I'm just veeeery leery of calling out a random on it, given the reputation of this game's GMs. Maybe that rep is exaggeration as a fearmonger tactic. I don't know, and I'm not going to be daring enough to find out.
    2.1k and 1.7k isn't really a big enough difference where I would say anything (or that the other guy should throw shade) so I am in agreement with you. It's 20% which is a fair amount, but he's clearly trying and doing more than I'd expect from a pug. If I was in the "elitists" place I might have offered tips if I had time to notice anything. This is under the assumption that 2.1k is something actually to be proud of. If he should have been doing 3k the entire scenario changes. FWIW I think my old A1S parses (i think i was like i200 or so w/ Ravana weap) was ~ 900-1k over entire encounter (culling set to 45s to make sure it's 1 clean parse).

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Οh I m with you I kick people cause of shitty dps all the time. Especially if they dont wanna listen. This one time I had a drg in a light farm a1s party just spamming 1-2-3 and the impulse drive combo, standing in front of the boss and not even poping any cds or doing positionals. Like.... bruh.
    One key thing from people in the ACT is bad camp say is that your scenario never happens. Yet I see it and you do too (funny how having the data is better than feelings right?).

I don't have the time or energy to see what other people are doing, but when I see someone literally doing 26% of the damage I am doing I look. Maybe it's a fresh 60, ok there's my answer. Maybe its not, then I look at abilities used. I see I used 256 over an entire dungeon, and they used 65. Nope sorry, not carrying you. Goodbye. If it's really bad, and I mean really bad I will literally stop what I am doing and watch the other person. If I saw what you saw I would literally call that out right there explain to them why I am kicking them, and blacklist them if they didn't apologize outright or have one of the best excuses I ever heard.

The douchebag culture that creates 'that guy' in western produced games is not as big a thing here and is absolutely not tolerated at all. Call them out on it rather than get in a shitflinging match and most either learn some manners or just go "that games full of whiny babies" and go back to whatever cesspool they came from.
    From my time spent playing Dota on the SEA servers, that guy is just as prevelent in Asia as he is in any other geographic location. If not more so - There was a notable increase in hostility towards the poorest performing players in those games over the EU and US servers. Often it was simply players who, while the worst performer on the team, weren't doing bad at all who were getting abuse for it.

It could just be confirmation bias at work, but I think Riot had some data showing that more of their players got banned for harassment in Asia than any other region? Whichever company it was, I just can't seem to dig out where they hid the report on it. It's not an unbelievable leap of logic to assume that the same would hold true for Dota too.

The Japanese in particular are fond of using, somewhat outdated, stereotypes to attack those from other countries. At least, that has always been my observation. They're no more, or less, likely to start trash talking than anyone else is however.

The simple fact of the matter is people are arseholes everywhere you go. Anything that can be used to compare yourself to others will be, and there's always someone who'll take it too far. It's human nature. I just take comfort in knowing that instead of trying to find out which of them has the bigger dick, they're really competing to see who IS the bigger dick .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Dont give up!! It happened to me all throughout 3.1 and 3.2 but through many many hardships I ended creating the best static I could have ever hoped for. 8 reliable and friendly people, always on time who have now learned each others strengths and weaknesses. The people that stick through the statics hardships are those who are more worth it in the end and little by little you ll find a full group of such individuals
    Possibly. Its 4 months left? chasing the gear kind of loses its luster and most will probably just do it unsyched at lvl.70 for completionists sake. Most folks seem to be looking forwards to SB and getting ready for it.
    A week later and raid-group is more or less stable once again, Zurvan Ex downed along with A9S - once again progressing on A10S since we got new people and some people (including me) ended up switching roles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    A week later and raid-group is more or less stable once again, Zurvan Ex downed along with A9S - once again progressing on A10S since we got new people and some people (including me) ended up switching roles.
    Nice I wish you the best!!! Hope you can find a good grp that can last until stormblood o you can head in the new raids nice and ready

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. So I've just been FATE grinding, trying to get all my jobs to 60, and I frequently cap out on my seals. So, at the recommendation from someone either on here or another forum I frequent, I started buying the 5k items from the seal vendor that I guess are needed for upgrading some sort of weapons? I've been selling them at 99k each, and they all sell within 24 hours. I'm sitting on almost 6 million gil now. I think I'm going to plan out the gear for my next job and buy up all the HQ versions of gear I can for a smooth leveling :-)

Besides, say, crafting, wtf is a major gil dump in this game? I seriously just look for reasons to spend it. It just seems to accumulate and there's nothing to do with it. I know crafting jobs can be a gil sink, but I don't really plan on leveling those any time soon. I'll probably be a billionaire at that point lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Wow. So I've just been FATE grinding, trying to get all my jobs to 60, and I frequently cap out on my seals. So, at the recommendation from someone either on here or another forum I frequent, I started buying the 5k items from the seal vendor that I guess are needed for upgrading some sort of weapons? I've been selling them at 99k each, and they all sell within 24 hours. I'm sitting on almost 6 million gil now. I think I'm going to plan out the gear for my next job and buy up all the HQ versions of gear I can for a smooth leveling :-)

Besides, say, crafting, wtf is a major gil dump in this game? I seriously just look for reasons to spend it. It just seems to accumulate and there's nothing to do with it. I know crafting jobs can be a gil sink, but I don't really plan on leveling those any time soon. I'll probably be a billionaire at that point lol.
    I'm not sure what server you're on, but on Balmung everyone saves their money in hopes that someday they may be lucky enough to blow it all on housing.

I'm currently saving money right now to attempt to buy a medium plot some day for my FC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    @endersblade What item is that ? I dunno what to do with the 50k seals i have .

For that quest you need:
    4 Adamantite Francesca + 10 Unidentifiable Bone
    4 Titanium Alloy Mirror + 10 Unidentifiable Shell
    4 Dispelling Arrow + 10 Unidentifiable Ore
    4 Kingcake + 10 Unidentifiable Seeds

You use each other those pairs of items to buy other items that upgrade your weapon. I's a very convoluted and roundabout system really. All of those except the ore and shells can be bought from your GC, but there are other sources for the Unidentifiables, so you'll probably want to just buy the first item in each pair.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2017-02-15 at 07:13 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    What item is that ? I dunno what to do with the 50k seals i have .
    Best thing I've found to buy are the Dispelling Arrow, Titanium Alloy Mirror, Kingcake and Adamantite Francesca. Then selling them on the Market Board. You can also stash them away for various quests, but by the time you get to needing them chances are you'll already have more than enough Gil to buy what you need several times over. If you ping-pong between Scholar and Summoner you can buy a ton of The Keeper's Hymn to let you move your points between Mind and Int, but that is a very niche use for them I admit.

You can also spend them to send your Squadron on missions. I've not really found much benefit to doing it, but it's a way to get rid of a couple of them at least. I assume there is something worthwhile you can get from your Squadron, but I'm not sure what that is just yet.

Something that has been bothering me lately, what's up with DPS constantly picking the wrong targets? Been leveling my tanking classes and despite things being numbered, DPS will insist on attacking #2 while I'm busy whacking #1. Sure, I did start with a ranged attack on #2, but that's because #1 is getting hit with everything else. It's not that hard to wrap your head around. Never had people pulling this kind of crap in WoW or Rift.

currently leveling arcanist, it's pretty fun, the pet is annoying as fuck though.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    currently leveling arcanist, it's pretty fun, the pet is annoying as fuck though.
    The pet has 2 modes you need to manage.

The first is Steady/Guard. Steady is basically the same as Passive for WoW Hunter pets, while Guard is Defensive. You'll want it set to Guard 99% of the time, and by default it is set to Guard.
    The second mode, however is the annoying and confusing one: Sic/Obey
    For whatever reason, it's set to Sic by default, which makes it attack basically anything in range, and use all it's special abilities on cool down, which is very, very, very bad. Set it to Obey, and it will only attack things you attack and/or things you specifically order it to attack. (This is the confusing part. Because you also order the pet to attack a specific target by using... the Obey command... which is also the same command you use to toggle it's behavior...) This also stops it using all it's abilities on CD - only when you order it to use them. It's requires more micromanagement, but it actually makes things easier in the long run, as well as upping your overall DPS.

The pet bar is the most annoying thing to me. I seriously wish you could reorganize it.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2017-02-16 at 12:15 AM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

I just canceled the pet bar and pet all my pets actions on my hotbars, the pet bar is literally cancer
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Should probably go see a doctor if a video game is giving you literal cancer.