Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Trucks aren't too far away, have you seen the torque and HP on these EV engines?

Combustion addicts are the people who go "I WILL NEVER USE AN ELECTRIC CAR EVER!" Although they may occassionally say something like "well I may use it if it can do 0 to 60 in 0.2 seconds and costs 5k." They tend to have pretty ridiculous standards when it comes to acceptance of using EVs.
    Oh. I don't care about 0-60 speed. I just need a truck that can haul small to medium items and maybe pull a camper.

I imagine the battery consumption is going to be a major hurdle once they focus on trucks and keeping them as trucks (aka the ability to haul stuff).

I don't suspect the first offers are going to be average man affordable at all and not for some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    They say they expect to sell 30k this year. Which isn't great compared to cars in general, but is very good for an EV.
    Quite true. It'll be a slow integration. But if they wanted to speed up the change over, they could make cars that blend in a little better with the current styles of other cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Oh. I don't care about 0-60 speed. I just need a truck that can haul small to medium items and maybe pull a camper.

I imagine the battery consumption is going to be a major hurdle once they focus on trucks and keeping them as trucks (aka the ability to haul stuff).

I don't suspect the first offers are going to be average man affordable at all and not for some time.
    I love the idea of solar powered roads which charge the vehicles on it as they drive. No where near ready for such a huge infrastructure change though.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I need a mid-sized truck with this technology to ever be swayed into buying it.

Also, wtf is a combustion addict? Is that some new fad term for people who use gasoline? If so, thats some real cliche hippy shit right there. lol
    I think that is 2 models down for Tesla, after a more affordable SUV/crossover thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I never got the obsession over electric cars. Like yeah I get we need to save the planet, but wouldn't it be cheaper to improve mass transit?And to an extent yield better results?
    Maybe in places where mass transit works which is like 10% of the USA
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    I would rather keep petrol. All the electric cars and bikes i have driven/ridden all suffer from same lack of soul and emotion. They are sterile to drive and lack everything a good car or motorcycle needs to be an amazing part of you. Will never buy one.
    I like the cut of your jib.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd really like an electric car but the range on a full charge just isn't worth it for me yet (not to mention they're expensive). When they implement fast charging, lots of charging stations and ranges of 400~ miles I'll seriously look into getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Looks too small for fat people.
    Given who the OP is, I love this comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

What you need sounds like fuel cell territory. Not getting much attention as most of Western media is focused on battery electric. The Japanese keep tinkering with it but it will need its own refueling network.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I'd really like an electric car but the range on a full charge just isn't worth it for me yet (not to mention they're expensive). When they implement fast charging, lots of charging stations and ranges of 400~ miles I'll seriously look into getting one.
    But 90% of drivers drive less than 40 miles per day.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

All-Electric cars are a transition tool. They're too expensive without subsidies, and the refueling process is a major inconvenience.

The real replacement for gasoline is hydrogen fuel cells.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    But 90% of drivers drive less than 40 miles per day.
    Right and it would work good for my usual needs but I frequently take out of town trips every other weekend. Driving to Austin for me is a 350 mile trip. Not to mention I don't know of a single charging station from here to there and the charging times seem to still take awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Exedore View Post
    All-Electric cars are a transition tool. They're too expensive without subsidies, and the refueling process is a major inconvenience.

The real replacement for gasoline is hydrogen fuel cells.
    They aren't that expensive, the refueling process can happen while you sleep

- - - Updated - - -

Right and it would work good for my usual needs but I frequently take out of town trips every other weekend. Driving to Austin for me is a 350 mile trip. Not to mention I don't know of a single charging station from here to there and the charging times seem to still take awhile.
    How long are you spending in Austin when you go?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    About 2 days, sometimes more

They aren't that expensive, the refueling process can happen while you sleep

- - - Updated - - -

Why would that matter? I'm similar in that I make about 2 trips a month that are in the 200-300 mile range depending on where we decide to go. Sometimes it's just a day trip, others it could be a weekend trip. As there are no recharging stations anywhere along the way, I'm confused as to why length of stay matters. Running out of battery in the middle of the desert would kind of suck.

About 2 days, sometimes more
    There are superchargers in almost every direction from Austin if you are on interstate, they are supposed to charge to full in about 30 min.

Do you have 30 min for lunch?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...ric-car-market

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...ric-car-market

Looks legit. Might be worth picking up before they nix the tax credit.

Considering the Tesla model 3 is likely to be upwards of 60K after autopilot, this could be a great, affordable alternative.

"For the price of the car versus what you get, you probably don't come out ahead," Cheng said. For him, the selling point is the environment; he likes the fact that he's not polluting.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Why would that matter? I'm similar in that I make about 2 trips a month that are in the 200-300 mile range depending on where we decide to go. Sometimes it's just a day trip, others it could be a weekend trip. As there are no recharging stations anywhere along the way, I'm confused as to why length of stay matters. Running out of battery in the middle of the desert would kind of suck.
    There's no electricity where you go on road trips?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    There are superchargers in almost every direction from Austin if you are on interstate, they are supposed to charge to full in about 30 min.

Do you have 30 min for lunch?
    Sure but the range on this Chevy says it's around 200~ miles so I'd have to find one of those outside of Austin/San Antonio area

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    I'd rather have a Tesla. Not a fan of Chevy in general though, I think their cars are blocky, ugly, and flavorless.
    All cars of the same type look the same anyway these days. Any flavor in cars died in the 60's and 70's back when cars were actually unique from each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but the bolt looks ugly compared to the Tesla. What GM needs to do is take the Corvette or Camaro and give it electric motor.

Someone reads the article to Trump (I doubt the man can read). He immediately signs executive order removing the tax credit on electric cars.

Low energy. Weak. Doesn't run on coal. Make America smoggy again!