Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    That's pretty messed up, so what if he forgets to take his meds?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Cue the people who don't recognize the important part of a "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea.
    Which shouldnt even be a thing. If you committed a crime, then you should be punished and removed from society regardless of your mental health (and many insanity cases are faked anyway) If he was truly insane and didnt know he did it or didnt know it was wrong, it wont stop him from doing it again. He should be removed from society and locked up in an asylum. Just because he is insane, he shouldnt be allowed to walk around and do it again and then use the insanity excuse again

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Which shouldnt even be a thing. If you committed a crime, then you should be punished and removed from society regardless of your mental health (and many insanity cases are faked anyway) If he was truly insane and didnt know he did it or didnt know it was wrong, it wont stop him from doing it again. He should be removed from society and locked up in an asylum. Just because he is insane, he shouldnt be allowed to walk around and do it again and then use the insanity excuse again
    Good thing Charles Manson wasn't caught in Canada, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    The same could be said for people without schizophrenia. Dangerous people are dangerous.

Spreading the misconception that schizophrenia somehow makes you threat the the people around you is rather ignorant and helps no one.
    Well it depends how bad your schizophrenia is... Either way, I do think that unmedicated schizophrenics are grounds for concern, if only because they can flip on a quarter. Doesn't mean you should start chaining them up , run away screaming, or some other crap like that.

And it's not neccessarily a threat to other people, it's to themselves as well.

It's more of a 'just be aware' sort of thing rather than having to fear schizophrenics, because there's usually no reason to. But there may be just given the nature of schizophrenia.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2017-02-15 at 02:42 PM.

Deleted
    TIL "walks free" means "locked up in psychiatric ward for 8 years"

He decapitated someone without being in danger and ate chunks of his neck raw, was let go?? What is a threat then? The system is shit! That terrorist was traveling with a weapon ffs!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    That's good. Punishing people will only marginalize them further into extremism.
    His actions and state wasn't extreme enough to punish him or protect society?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Cue the people who don't recognize the important part of a "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea.
    Insane people should be kept in hospitals, not let loose.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2017-02-15 at 03:02 PM.

Yet if it was someone who killed a black people or muslim because god told them to you can be damn sure he wouldn't get off like this.

The regressive left would be calling for their head while most rational people would think the same in either case.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Why would anyone without a law degree on a video game forum even care about that? They are too busy looking for fuel to fan the flames of their own narrative.
    Do you feel so strongly that you would sit beside him on a bus?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    THe thing is any destabilizing event later in his life can lead him to not take his medication. He is not a thread if he is monitored adequately but not monitoring him sounds . . . psychotic?
    I worked with a schizo who got tired of taking meds and turned to eastern medicine. He got really dangerous and his mind was irreversibly worsened.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Well it depends how bad your schizophrenia is... Either way, I do think that unmedicated schizophrenics are grounds for concern, if only because they can flip on a quarter. Doesn't mean you should start chaining them up , run away screaming, or some other crap like that.

And it's not neccessarily a threat to other people, it's to themselves as well.

It's more of a 'just be aware' sort of thing rather than having to fear schizophrenics, because there's usually no reason to. But there may be just given the nature of schizophrenia.
    Again, you seem to know very little about the subject. You are not the only one though so please do not take this as a personal attack.
    Quite a few posters here and people in general seems to think that schizophrenia means that you resort to acts of violence at random.

It is a disability and it sure can limit the person suffering from it but you are just as likely (if not more so) to be struck down by a "healthy" person. These concerns are based on ignorance, not facts.

That said, the person the OP is writing about might very well be dangerous. However, I really doubt that even one of us on this forum have enough information to say whether he is stable enough to be released without supervision or not. People are, again basing their arguments on feelings, not facts.
    Now that is something that is truly dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    You chose to get drunk you don't chose to have a schizophrenic break. and like you said nothing will bring that person back to life so what is the point in punishing someone who did not chose to do anything wrong? justice is not the same as punishment.
    It's worse because he can't control his spontaneous urges. Lock him in an institution to protect society.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2017-02-15 at 03:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol. Just because he plead insanity doesn't mean he should be allowed to roam free.

There's no way to verify if he is taking his meds.

Wait til he does that shit again.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

The same could be said for people without schizophrenia. Dangerous people are dangerous.

Spreading the misconception that schizophrenia somehow makes you threat the the people around you is rather ignorant and helps no one.
    He was clearly dangerous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    TIL "walks free" means "locked up in psychiatric ward for 8 years"
    "walks free" means unsupervised and you don't know if he took his medication.

My sister in law was murdered by her brother, who was on medications, released from the halfway house he lived in because he showed the ability to take his meds on his own. I can tell you how difficult the situation is to understand. I myself can find conflict in the whole situation. However, I am scared for my brother and his children. Her brother drove up, talked to her for a bit, then just stabbed her, in broad daylight, with her 2 year old standing next to her as they were out watering flowers in the front yard. My mother was inside watching their 6 month old because she was baby sitting for them, they were about to go have a dinner date. My brother was out at the street retrieving the mail from the mailbox. He stabbed her, ran, jumped in his truck, and drove home apparently. There was no escalation in the conversation, my brother was right there to have heard it. My brother watched his wife die as he applied pressure to the wound, waiting for the ambulance, in front of their 2 children and my mother who was frantically trying to hide the children in case he came back.

The trial has not yet started, he's claiming not guilty by insanity. He killed his only family in the world, their parents are both dead, one in an accident 15 years ago, their father to cancer 3 years ago. She invited him to all of our family gatherings. She took him out on occassion with my brother and she. She did everything she could to make his life better, keep him involved, and make him feel loved.

It was his job to take his medication. If you believe mentally ill people are not a danger to society because they can easily take their meds, just think to a time you didn't do something you were supposed to. Remember how easy it was to procrastinate one thing, and understand that's all it takes for tragedy to strike with people of certain mental conditions. It is not my sister to blame for her own death here. She had no warning signs. She was caught off guard, put into a situation she had no escape in.

I'm one who believes people shouldn't be locked away just because of mental health issues. However, people required to be on meds need to be monitored at every instance they should be taking them. I also believe that mental illness or not, you are guilty of the actions you make. A person not on their meds who has killed, is a danger to society, no less than a person who killed who isn't on medication for some mental illness. He was guilty of not taking his meds, maybe he was even guilty of more, who knows what his thoughts were even under medication.

If he were to get off, I would fear for my family. My brother now has taken up arms to defend his family for just such an occassion. I assure you, he will be dead if he steps foot on their property again.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2017-02-15 at 03:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post

"walks free" means unsupervised and you don't know if he took his medication.
    that's not what happened in 2008.

also why would they release, when they have the power to keep him indefinitely, if they were not confident he was no danger. keeping in mind that typically in cases like these doctors get trouble with medical review boards if the patient relapses.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-02-15 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    He was clearly dangerous.
    He was but the poster I replied to and quite a few others seems to think thats a trait all thoes that suffer from schizophrenia share.

Again, you seem to know very little about the subject. You are not the only one though so please do not take this as a personal attack.
    Quite a few posters here and people in general seems to think that schizophrenia means that you resort to acts of violence at random.

It is a disability and it sure can limit the person suffering from it but you are just as likely (if not more so) to be struck down by a "healthy" person. These concerns are based on ignorance, not facts.

That said, the person the OP is writing about might very well be dangerous. However, I really doubt that even one of us on this forum have enough information to say whether he is stable enough to be released without supervision or not. People are, again basing their arguments on feelings, not facts.
    Now that is something that is truly dangerous.
    Nono, I know they don't do random violence. But they can do some weird shit. Some unsettling things as well. And it can be very freaky if you don't know why or what causes it is.

It's not their fault as such if these things happen. It's just easy to put stock in escalation over something that's hard to understand, that has no 'set in stone' parameters. Like schizophrenia. So for me personally, it's just an extra line of thought in my head in relation to the person, just look out for things a bit extra. Same as I'd do for 'normal' people if they do something weird.

And didn't take it as anything personal. ^^

And sure, none of us can say. It's still a fact that he killed someone. Same thing as with dogs, albeit in less scale; all dogs can bite, only some of them do, be it from circumstance or intent, the dog bit. You'd still be aware of that all dogs can bite, some can be more liable to bite for less reason depending on some factor, so you just keep it in mind. Otherwise you can still somewhat predict when you're at most risk of being attacked by another person.

My point is just that it's the unpredictability that one should at least be aware of when it comes to schizophrenics, that 'normal' people are usually more predictable.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2017-02-15 at 04:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, it's a justice system. Not a revenge system. Get educated.
    oh what a smart post. Where exactly is the Justice in that ? right its not there

Oh and in case you didnt notice most Justice Systems around the World are Revenge based

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    My point stands.
    What is your point exactly? I think Ouch and I must not be getting it.

If the concern is that vigilantes will take revenge, then we deal with that when they commit their crime.
    If the concern is that people will treat him differently if they recognize him, then that's their right to do so - up until the point where their behaviour becomes illegal - at which point we deal with their crime.
    If the concern is that life will be forever different for him, as he will forever exist within a society which may potentially recognize him for his publicity - that's life.

You don't confine people to a padded cell until death to spare them the minor awkwardness that they may be treated differently by someone at some point, when recognized.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    He cut off someone's head, but he's not a threat? WTF IS a threat then?