Thinking about writing a WoW addon

So I was looking for an addon which showed your arena skirmish rating. It looks like all the addons which did that are out of date. So I'm considering just making an addon which does this. Using the battle.net API it seems I can fairly easily obtain this data with the PvP API call.

I've been unable to find any documentation on how you might be able to do something similar using the API for addons. Can anyone point me to some solid and up to date documentation on this? Would I just have to make a battle.net PvP API call from my addon and parse the JSON? If so, my concern is that I'll need to use my own API key. If I made my addon public people could abuse the API key and end up getting it banned. As unlikely as that may be, I'd like to avoid the possibility if I can.

Edit: No idea if this has any relevance since no one has posted on their forums since 2015, but http://wowprogramming.com/docs/api_categories#pvp seems to be where I might want to look. Perhaps GetPersonalRatedInfo is what I want, but there's no documentation on that function.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2017-02-14 at 11:35 PM.

Deleted
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/API_GetPersonalRatedInfo

rating, seasonBest, weeklyBest, seasonPlayed, seasonWon, weeklyPlayed, weeklyWon, cap = GetPersonalRatedInfo(index)

where index is the PvP bracket index ascending from 1 for 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 and 10v10 rated battlegrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/API_GetPersonalRatedInfo

rating, seasonBest, weeklyBest, seasonPlayed, seasonWon, weeklyPlayed, weeklyWon, cap = GetPersonalRatedInfo(index)

where index is the PvP bracket index ascending from 1 for 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 and 10v10 rated battlegrounds.
    So looks like there's nothing for skirmish rating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I'm intrigued how you're looking to approach this as you've mentioned the battle.net API, which is obviously only for websites, servers and such.

First things first, addons don't require an API key to function. They're not signed packages or require any authentication with any third party server. They're also written exclusively in LUA (barring visible interface elements which if memory serves me well, are XML documents) so your typical web languages such as JS, Ruby, Python, Go or any other aren't relevant unless you're building an addon that has data retrieved from the internet (which would be done through an EXE as addons are essentially sandboxed and can't communicate outside of the game directly, nor can the data they hold be modified while in memory by third-party programs).

Now, if you were building a web service to go with it and importing data before the game is started (through a file downloaded by the user), then you'd be able to use the web API, but the better option is to use the addon API - both are separate and there's almost no translation between them as they serve different purposes.

I would take a look at this 'Writing an Addon 101' guide on Wowhead: http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1949/wo...ur-first-addon

It's a "Hello World" addon and only covers the basics. When it comes to functions, much about WoW addons is reactive functions (i.e. responding to hooked events) - such an example is in the last 'code block section' on this page; http://www.dev-hq.net/posts/2--creat...warcraft-addon
    Obviously using the battle.net API would not be ideal. I mentioned the battle.net API merely because I wanted to point out that they are storing data on skirmish rating somewhere. I just didn't know if it was accessible by any means from the addon API. If there is a way to do that without some hacky way of leveraging the battle.net API then that's what I would use. And the API key I mentioned would be for making calls to the battle.net API, not for the addon itself.

I'm not really too concerned about writing the addon. I'm a software developer so I'll be able to figure out that much. I've never written anything in LUA, but that's never stopped me before. A few minutes to understand the syntax and I'll be rolling. The only thing I'm concerned with is whether or not there is an addon API call I can make which will grab data for arena skirmish rating.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2017-02-15 at 03:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    So looks like there's nothing for skirmish rating.
    Have you tried going further up with the index?
    Maybe the skirmishes follow after the rated ratings. Can't find documentation for it (there appear to be SKIRMISH_2V2, etc. variables though) and can't test it right now, but it might be worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Have you tried going further up with the index?
    Maybe the skirmishes follow after the rated ratings. Can't find documentation for it (there appear to be SKIRMISH_2V2, etc. variables though) and can't test it right now, but it might be worth a shot.
    I mean if you can get the data anywhere with the addon API it's probably there. So I guess it's worth a shot.