Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'm sure if she wins, she'll donate that money to multiple charities.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    This part cracked me up; She pondered, “What is my purpose in life?”. No one has a purpose in life.

I'm 27. I don't have a partner. I'm out of work right now (hopefully not for long). I can't drive (yet) and I won't be able to afford a car when I do have my license, and I don't have the money to move out to my own place. I've got debt that's barely manageable. Yet, I'm still privileged because I have the support I need for the essentials, but I'd love to not need it. Am I happy? Fuck no, not generally, and no matter how much money I had, I wouldn't be much happier, but I certainly wouldn't be stressing over making £60 last for 3 weeks.

To be honest, she sounds like a spoiled bitch. A spoiled, orange skinned bitch who believes she lives in America and can sue someone else or a company because of her own irresponsible choices -- even worse when it's done after being as lucky as she was. People like her are the reason we need warning labels on every-fucking-thing. She's not acting entitled because she doesn't need to. Instead she's bitching at how empty her life is. Grow up already. If she's so empty, why doesn't she do fucking charity work for something she enjoys, or invest into Business Startup Support such as Prince's Trust?

Maybe she should watch Rick and Morty and try to be enlightened as to the fact that there is ultimately and absolutely no purpose to life. I wouldn't say I'm that much more enlightened by what's essentially a cartoon, but when I realized Rick is happier when he's not at odds with family and friends, I started to realize that things really aren't so bad, and that no matter what I do, none of us are getting out alive.
    Just because you don't understand your purpose, doesn't mean you don't have any.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Not always the case there is one story of Jack Whittaker a West Virginia Construction company president who was already a millionaire when he won $315 million in 2002 lost a daughter and grand daughter to drugs and went broke 4 years later.. http://time.com/4176128/powerball-ja...ttery-winners/

So not all lottery winners are poor and stupid..
    Exceptions are not rules.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb View Post
    Park plans to file a lawsuit against UK’s National Lottery, claiming it shouldn’t allow kids under 18 to play
    Frankly I've always agered with this and I think I was only about 12 when it released.started up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Plenty of money in my opinion. Put most of it into the highest interest savings account you can, or hire a financial manager and make sure there's no risky investments, and boom, you can live off that money for the rest of your life so long as you live modestly. Maybe pick up a part-time job so you're not bored as hell and can make some extra spending money.
    Considering a very large portion of the world, the US especially, is up to their necks in credit card or student loan debt this is an ideal but almost non-existent occurrence. When people not used to having large amounts of money suddenly come into it almost always the first thing they're going to do is pay off their debt, and make a large purchase (House/Car/Boat/Etc.). They're also going to purchase the things they have always wanted or visit places they've never seen.

Now take into account this girl was 17 years old. She definitely isn't going to be thinking about financial managers and investments. She's thinking about a house and a car. This is incredibly common especially to young people who come into large sums of money. Purely anecdotal but when my wife's father died (she was 19) she spent her inheritance money on a new Mustang and a trip to Mexico.

The reason I say $1.25 million isn't a lot of money is because once you get used to living a certain lifestyle you want to maintain it as long as possible. Sometimes going right back into debt to get there.

Lottery Winner 101 - meet with a lawyer and draw up your NDA as soon as you win.

What a n00b.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you ever win the lotto never tell anyone. The dogs will come sniffing around if you have money and you will never have peace. Most people wont know if you don't tell them.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    If you ever win the lotto never tell anyone. The dogs will come sniffing around if you have money and you will never have peace. Most people wont know if you don't tell them.
    in UK you are entitled to stay hidden, unlike in US in most of its states. also fun fact: no taxes, WYSIWYG

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Considering a very large portion of the world, the US especially, is up to their necks in credit card or student loan debt this is an ideal but almost non-existent occurrence. When people not used to having large amounts of money suddenly come into it almost always the first thing they're going to do is pay off their debt, and make a large purchase (House/Car/Boat/Etc.). They're also going to purchase the things they have always wanted or visit places they've never seen.

Now take into account this girl was 17 years old. She definitely isn't going to be thinking about financial managers and investments. She's thinking about a house and a car. This is incredibly common especially to young people who come into large sums of money. Purely anecdotal but when my wife's father died (she was 19) she spent her inheritance money on a new Mustang and a trip to Mexico.

The reason I say $1.25 million isn't a lot of money is because once you get used to living a certain lifestyle you want to maintain it as long as possible. Sometimes going right back into debt to get there.
    And those people are stupid. I have about $15k worth of debt, not a whole lot. I don't think I'd pay it off all at once, but I'd definitely pay a big chunk of it and set up a payment plan before forgetting it exists.

And I'd be happy living as I do, but with the added benefit of never having to worry about going broke and being able to go on the occasional vacation or trip.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasukkin View Post
    Lottery Winner 101 - meet with a lawyer and draw up your NDA as soon as you win.

What a n00b.
    I have a reddit thread bookmarked that details EXACTLY what to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...at_do/chba4bf/

1.25 million pounds will not last entire life if she stops working.

I guess she spent all in 4 years (from 17 to 21).
    Now wants more.

I can fix your money problem. * holds up a gun * PUT THE MONEY IN THE BAG!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've often wondered about how winning a lot of money ruins someone.

I mean, I'd be glad to win that much, but I wouldn't die from a heart attack from not being able to handle it. I mean, have you guys heard those stories? How someone might even go a bit insane from winning millions? She seems fine, but it still ended up "ruining her life", whatever that means.

I guess you need to be a materialist to the extreme, then, for it to really ruin your life? Never been one myself. Just very basic shit that pretty much everyone can afford and I'm satisfied. Don't even know what I'd do with tons of money. Awesome sports cars and huge houses? Don't care about any of that. Guess I'd buy a new computer, travel a bit, and donate most of it? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I've often wondered about how winning a lot of money ruins someone.
    I think the biggest mistake they make is "Quit job and school".

Then they have all the "free" time.
    They just spent money whenever they are bored.

It is well known that people usually die as soon as they retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    This part cracked me up; She pondered, “What is my purpose in life?”. No one has a purpose in life.

I'm 27. I don't have a partner. I'm out of work right now (hopefully not for long). I can't drive (yet) and I won't be able to afford a car when I do have my license, and I don't have the money to move out to my own place. I've got debt that's barely manageable. Yet, I'm still privileged because I have the support I need for the essentials, but I'd love to not need it. Am I happy? Fuck no, not generally, and no matter how much money I had, I wouldn't be much happier, but I certainly wouldn't be stressing over making £60 last for 3 weeks.

To be honest, she sounds like a spoiled bitch. A spoiled, orange skinned bitch who believes she lives in America and can sue someone else or a company because of her own irresponsible choices -- even worse when it's done after being as lucky as she was. People like her are the reason we need warning labels on every-fucking-thing. She's not acting entitled because she doesn't need to. Instead she's bitching at how empty her life is. Grow up already. If she's so empty, why doesn't she do fucking charity work for something she enjoys, or invest into Business Startup Support such as Prince's Trust?

Maybe she should watch Rick and Morty and try to be enlightened as to the fact that there is ultimately and absolutely no purpose to life. I wouldn't say I'm that much more enlightened by what's essentially a cartoon, but when I realized Rick is happier when he's not at odds with family and friends, I started to realize that things really aren't so bad, and that no matter what I do, none of us are getting out alive.
    The advancement of mankind is probably the purpose. I mean most of us are just grains of sand in the giant sea we call time but a small percentage of us actually push humanity forward usually kicking and screaming but it's progress...
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    The advancement of mankind is probably the purpose.
    Unfortunately, that is NOT what most people think.

Like bankers, they just want to con other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    The lottery is for the poor and stupid so stories like this should surprise no one.
    Where is the problem of spending a few bucks every now and then when the jackpot is in the hundreds of millions? I bet you wouldn't be calling it stupid if you won it...

10+ Year Old Account
    This has to be the smartest woman to ever live. She must have some sort of secret plan so complex I can't even begin to picture it.

She should invent some of that money into a pushup bra.

Looks at her pictures. Most young men want to play with her fun bags and fun holes. Money probably doesn't cross their mind.