Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    And completely disregard the heinous crime he committed?
    Seriously, this is crystal clear. He was deemed not criminally responsible. Meaning he DID NOT commit a crime.

This is literally what a "not criminally responsible" plea involves.

Criminal insanity is fine and all when the system works, but if he stops taking his meds and kills someone again he should be held accountable for that decision and the consequences as a sane person. It's like a person drinking and getting behind the wheel of a car and commiting vehicular manslaughter. I would also have him go to a psychiatrist peroidically to help him sort out through issues that may come up on top of the medication he is recieving.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    And completely disregard the heinous crime he committed?

Jeez, I should just go on a crime spree, plead insanity then go back to living a normal life. totally seems legit.
    i wouldn't recommend it. It's actually pretty difficult to get an insanity verdict. People that fail tend to receive harsher sentencing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    I'm very curious to see how Canada would react when the same case happens but with a muslim who is mentally ill.
    What makes you thinks being a muslim would have any bearing on the outcome?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    what makes me think that indeed.
    Yes, that's the question. Care to answer it?

Because it kinda seems like you're suggesting Canada is Islamaphobic..which is pretty strange all things considered.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2017-02-16 at 07:02 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Im of the opinion that if you take a life you should be locked up for life (and not just the 25 year crap - but LIFE).

I am also astonished that a bus full of people all ran and left a 22 year old guy there to be murdered and beheaded. That's quite disgusting.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StaeleAilar View Post

I am also astonished that a bus full of people all ran and left a 22 year old guy there to be murdered and beheaded. That's quite disgusting.
    Don't be hard on them, they are Canadians after all.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Don't be hard on them, they are Canadians after all.
    Throwing some shade on my country, Spoonhead?

And this is why the death penalty for murderers should be mandatory.
    If someone murders me i dont give a flying crap what mental disorder they had, they deserve the death penalty for doing it.
    Otherwise it should be legal to murder anyone with a mental disorder you deem as a threat to defend yourself.
    Pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    if they are a danger to the public they should be locked up even if its because of a mental health issue
    He was locked up. Now his doctors feel that he is no longer a danger to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Cue the people who don't recognize the important part of a "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea.
    Being not guilty by reason of insanity almost always just means you get incarcerated differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    Being not guilty by reason of insanity almost always just means you get incarcerated differently.
    Which is exactly what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    The same.

Difference is that the thread would be about Islam instead of mental illness.
    Well, this thread isn't really Canada reacting...it's The Internet Reacting

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Well, this thread isn't really Canada reacting...it's The Internet Reacting
    The Canadian citizens in the thread are the one saying its illogical to kill him or to lock him up due to mental illness anyway lol. When everyone else is telling us we should be shaking in our boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    The Canadian citizens in the thread are the one saying its illogical to kill him or to lock him up due to mental illness anyway lol. When everyone else is telling us we should be shaking in our boots.
    Which is funny from the Americans. They're so worried about one schizophrenic here not taking his pills...yet have no problem with their schizophrenics there loading up with guns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    https://www.rt.com/news/377065-canad...phrenic-freed/

Yeah, he sounds completely fine to be out in the open.
    Canada. Does it need more comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    And he had medical help, for almost a decade.
    Right. And his condition is not curable, meaning he'll need medicine for the rest of his life. Unlike a bipolar disorder, however, when he goes off meds (which a large percentage of schizophrenics often do), he doesn't just end up in a hospital, people end up dying. I'm not saying lock him up. I'm saying continue supervised medication. I don't think that's unreasonable given his condition and what he's been shown capable of when off medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Which is funny from the Americans. They're so worried about one schizophrenic here not taking his pills...yet have no problem with their schizophrenics there loading up with guns.
    What a shitty argument "if he was American we wouldn't mind him having guns!" Yeah I am sure that's how that works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    This is wrong. It means you get medical treatment. The only time you'd get committed to an institution is if it's determined you're a potential threat. A psychotic break caused by trauma, for instance, isn't necessarily going to repeat itself.

And if you ARE so committed, just like as would happen if you HADN'T done something terrible, you're released when your doctors think you're safe and fit to re-enter society. It isn't a punishment. It's treatment.

This is wrong. It means you get medical treatment. The only time you'd get committed to an institution is if it's determined you're a potential threat. A psychotic break caused by trauma, for instance, isn't necessarily going to repeat itself.

And if you ARE so committed, just like as would happen if you HADN'T done something terrible, you're released when your doctors think you're safe and fit to re-enter society. It isn't a punishment. It's treatment.
    a civil commitment is usually an involuntary process that constrains your freedom. Youre not free to leave as long as the underlying conditions justifying your detention persist. Practically speaking, I don't think that's much different than being incarcerated.

Seriously, this is crystal clear. He was deemed not criminally responsible. Meaning he DID NOT commit a crime.

This is literally what a "not criminally responsible" plea involves.
    Saying he did not commit a crime doesn't mean he didn't do something wrong. The way you are spinning it is like the law pretty much condones what he did because he's viewed as insane. What he did was still extremely violent and heinous whether he was in his right mind or not. People have every right and reason to be extremely wary of the gov't simply allowing him free rein with no mandate to continue taking medication.