Reap souls now stacks

when they added the cool down they also made it so it stacks but maxes at 60 seconds even with the legend back

Is it live?

- - - Updated - - -

ohh I see, its on the PTR still.
    Edit Signature.

10+ Year Old Account
    If my thought process is correct, with Reap and Sow (Aff cloak) the duration of Reap Souls is increased by 1.5 to 6.5 per soul. This basically means at every 9th Soul stack (5x9 + 1.5x9 = 58.5; 58 and a half second duration) compared to non-cloak (12 stacks) we'll have to Reap it to not overcap with the new mechanism, effectively attaining a longer overall duration throughout boss fights with minimal to no adds.

- - - Updated - - -

I should specify the first sentence a bit better. The duration of Reap Souls increases by 1.5 seconds with the cloak, to a total of 6.5 seconds per soul.

Deleted
    now the only thing to do is add 3 baseline souls every time, starting fights on progress without souls is just such a pain, you cant get the max benefit from bl when used at the start.
    Even just 1 soul would be good.

Yeah the new traits probably going to turn it into a maintenance buff.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Deleted
    And affliction will be balanced around having that buff up.

Hello,

I don't play my aff lock much, but I just got Reap and Sow and the tooltip on it says an increase of 2.1s per soul. But Reap Souls tooltip went from 5s to 6.5s with it, kinda weird.

Also, I've noticed during combat that sometimes I lose souls? Is that intended?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Yeah the new traits probably going to turn it into a maintenance buff.
    That's my fear as well.

It would quite effectively suck the fun out of playing affliction. Which means it's probably going to happen, since it's the recurring design theme/goal for warlocks in Legion.

@Uzkin Feel like it was pretty much inevitable from the moment we saw them make it a proc instead of still being on a timer when they originally changed reap soul to what it currently is.

Hello,

I don't play my aff lock much, but I just got Reap and Sow and the tooltip on it says an increase of 2.1s per soul. But Reap Souls tooltip went from 5s to 6.5s with it, kinda weird.

Also, I've noticed during combat that sometimes I lose souls? Is that intended?
    To answer your first question the cloak was nerfed from 2.1s to 1.5s. Clearing your cache should update the tooltip on that.

For your second question yes it's pretty normal. By my understanding souls generated passively during combat start a reset timer when you leave combat. This timer doesn't go away if you enter combat again.

wait, what do you mean stacks? Do you mean we now actually get for instance 5 stacks of reap souls = 50% damage buff because its 5x 10% damage buffs ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shodan30 View Post
    wait, what do you mean stacks? Do you mean we now actually get for instance 5 stacks of reap souls = 50% damage buff because its 5x 10% damage buffs ?
    Stacks, as in numbers of souls you can Reap. The damage buff is still only 10%.
    Also in the manner it now (PTR) works; if you have 20 seconds left and can Reap to get 25 new seconds, it'll now be 55 seconds at the refreshing point rather than overwriting.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2017-02-16 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Edited in the last part.

my sense is that this is probably gonna make reap and sow even better; as long as you're diligent about adding new souls to the reap stack without going over 8-9 you should be able to maintain better reap uptime

7+ Year Old Account
    I assume that it stacking is a bug.

No idea why they added a cooldown, probably to prevent a bug or keep you from re-applying a reap with a small duration cast or something idk.

They may be moving it to a 5x duration and a 5x cooldown, hard preventing you from casting it again until the buff runs out (Which would be kind of stupid but what ever).
    Don't be like haunt guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    my sense is that this is probably gonna make reap and sow even better; as long as you're diligent about adding new souls to the reap stack without going over 8-9 you should be able to maintain better reap uptime
    It will likely turn it into a maintenance buff when coupled with the new trait, which will make it worse since the spec will be balanced around having high up time and the spec will have even less depth.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshomaru View Post
    Stacks, as in numbers of souls you can Reap. The damage buff is still only 10%.
    Also in the manner it now (PTR) works; if you have 20 seconds left and can Reap to get 25 new seconds, it'll now be 55 seconds at the refreshing point rather than overwriting.
    Ohhh shit this is how its working atm on ptr??

Time to get a 20 minute buff on skorp
    Don't be like haunt guy.

I think it still caps at a minute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryn View Post
    Ohhh shit this is how its working atm on ptr??

Time to get a 20 minute buff on skorp
    That's how it currently works (and will most likely be the release version), however, there's a hard cap (I believe, haven't tested myself) on 1 minute (60 seconds) meaning if you get 12 stacks before losing the buff, you will have to wait unless the situation feels fitting popping it at a appropriate timeslot. It also means those with the cloak (like myself) have a max stack reduced from 12 to 9 for maximum efficiency, as souls above that would basically be erased.

In other words, currently you can't use Reap if you have less souls than seconds left on the buff (if you have 25 seconds left (~5 souls without the cloak), you can't Reap under 5 souls (so, between 4-1)). The new version will add the souls you currently can Reap up to a maximum of 60 seconds, so if you accidentally reap a 12 stack (12 souls) when you already have 30 seconds left on your timer, the 30 seconds would be added to the new 60 seconds, however since the hard cap is (supposedly) 60 seconds, 30 seconds would be erased.

Basically what @Harsesis said. I'll check it (if the patch is already up) on the PTR when I get home from work and tell my results,

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it says the same as I mentioned above on the main-/frontpage noted with PTR 7.2 update:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

• Warlock (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    • Affliction
    • Refreshing Reap Souls will no longer overwrite the current buff’s duration with a new one. The new duration will now be added to the existing duration, up to a maximum duration of 60 seconds.
    • Reap Souls now has a 5 second cooldown.
      •Developers’ note: Previously, casting Reap Souls at 5 stacks (which would grant 25 seconds of the buff) with 20 seconds currently left on the buff would just overwrite your old 20 second buff with a 25 second buff. Now, in this case it will increase the buff duration to 45 seconds.
    Copied and pasted from the frontpage. Minor errors in the BB coding, mostly because I'm a rather novice at the grand use of it.

As we can see from the Blue above, if you use Reap while you still have the buff progressing, the duration will be added to a maximum of 60 seconds.
    And as I wrote in my comment above, this means we get some quirky/clunky updates on the buff with adds forever spawning and nonetheless cloak wearers like me, as we are prompted (depends regen time and adds) to use it on 9 souls despite overwriting the buff.

Not a theorycrafter, dwelling rather in philosophical themes and pursuiting what we may see as a common truth (cold is cold, hot is hot, pain is pain), which is most likely the case here.

They'll probably increase it to 78 seconds though, for R&S. Starting a fight with 12 souls will waste buff duration otherwise.