Gaming headset suggestions.

Long story short, I have been through THREE HyperX Cloud II's, they are by far the best headset I have ever worn in terms of comfiness/lightness. After each one had its wire tangled up and torn(it swirls up on itself like crazy, the only thing I hated about it) I ended up replacing it with random headsets which had good reviews and ended up going BACK to the Cloud II's. The two I tried replacing the Cloud II's with were the HyperX Cloud Revolver and most recently the Logitech G933.

The Revolver I don't wanna speak too much about, its just a shittier Cloud II and its not even comfy. The reason why I went for the G933 is because its wireless. Now I know wireless gaming isn't the best but I don't really give a shit. I don't like the G933's at all, it has amazing sound/mic quality but its not comfy at all, especially from the top part where it cushions your hair.

The only other headset I've tried that I actually consider as comfy if not comfier than the Cloud II's and had amazing sound quality were the Audio-Technica M50X's. The only problem was it had no built-in mic.(NO, I don't want to use a desk mic)

So what I'm looking for is a REALLY comfy(both the earcups and the part that cushions your hair uptop) and a light non-heavy headset(hard to describe if you have not tried the Cloud II's)and ideally but not neccesarily(as long as the wire doesn't fuck over itself) wireless.

Would like to hear your suggestions, thanks.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If a mic is your only problem, ModMics do exist. Comes with clips now to clip the 2 cables together if you'd like.

As far as wireless goes, not much to recommend outside the G933s (which you don't like) and more expensive headsets like the Siberia 800/840s.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    As far as wireless goes, not much to recommend outside the G933s (which you don't like) and more expensive headsets like the Siberia 800/840s.
    There are no headsets on the markets as uncomfortable as the Siberia lines.

Since you already enjoy the acceptable-albeit-not-stellar sound from the Audio Technica M50x, do do as Arbiter suggests and look into the Modmic.

For comfort, however, I would recommend Beyerdynamic DT 770, Sennheiser HD598 or any other audio-grade headphones with velour earpads or options for velour. Open headphones gives you the best comfort and sound stage to go with velour earpads, but if you need to be worried about if others can hear your noise or if you want to shield out others' noise, that might not be an option.

Deleted
    I must ask, whats wrong with a desk mic?

My desk mic sits under my monitor and people can hear my voice extremely fine, its out of the way far more then a headset will ever do, people always say they don't want a desk mic but never provide a reason for it.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    I'm using the older HyperX Cloud for more than 2 years now. Just need to unswirl it every now and then.

I've not really found a better headset.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    There are no headsets on the markets as uncomfortable as the Siberia lines.

Since you already enjoy the acceptable-albeit-not-stellar sound from the Audio Technica M50x, do do as Arbiter suggests and look into the Modmic.

For comfort, however, I would recommend Beyerdynamic DT 770, Sennheiser HD598 or any other audio-grade headphones with velour earpads or options for velour. Open headphones gives you the best comfort and sound stage to go with velour earpads, but if you need to be worried about if others can hear your noise or if you want to shield out others' noise, that might not be an option.
    Well I did say there wasn't much to recommend for wireless. I'd argue they aren't the most uncomfortable (plenty of people seem to be fine with it), but they surely aren't a pair of Sennheisers for comfort. Many years ago I had a friend recommend a Razer headset that cost me about $80 and THAT was the biggest mistake in terms of comfort I think I've ever made. Also, my biggest problem with the G933s are that they are abnormally huge and are pretty stiff and tight.

My personal preference is headphones and modmic or a desk mic (assuming it's elevated and on a shock mount or some other method of avoiding noise every time you bump the desk)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    I have some some independent headphones and then a ModMic (4, and now 5) and honestly, ModMics are great quality sound, likely better sound than any mic on any "gaming" branded headset, but I just can not recommend ModMics because of all the problems I've had with mine.

It's not super durable, and the magnetic clip holding the mic itself is weak as hell, even the newer revision - the mic will fucking smack your ass in the face so many times you'll be a battered housewife before long. If I didn't wear glasses my ModMic(s) probably would have taken my eye out, lol.
    I'm not sure what you're doing honestly. Quality has seemed fine on my end and the magnet has help up fine. Occasionally I'll catch the wire on my chair and it'll snatch it off the headphones, but it's a magnet and is meant to disconnect when pulled. It's never smacked me in the face though.

Only thing I've noticed is that occasionally (typically in servers with low mic transmission quality) the bass behind the modmic causes it to sound worst than shitty ones. It's not the Mic's fault and I prefer the bass in the voice. Makes it sound much more natural.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    It's not just me, lol. Check their review pages on Amazon. At least for the newer revision, there have been a ton of QC issues, others besides myself finding the magnetic clip to be inadequate, etc. I say all of this and yet even after mine broke (almost mysteriously, there was no exposed wires on anything and I wasn't aware of the warranty options so I wasn't going to open 'er up and see if there was a connection that needed to be re-soldered) I still bought a new one simply because it's still the best option out there as far as sound quality and being a good fit for my particular situation.
    Durability, longevity, QC, pricing, and some basic things like having a braided cable, however, are up in the air..

Also the face-smacking had to do with me adjusting the microphone too close to my mouth, now instead of smacking me in the face it just shoots upwards and most of the time lands on my floor.
    You mean the mostly positive highly rated reviews?

No product is exempt from potential issues, and it's entirely possible you got a defective unit. That doesn't mean that it's anywhere near a common occurrence and just because someone buys a ModMic doesn't mean they are going to experience the same problems as you, because its more likely that they won't as more people who receive the mic likely have no issues as compared to the amount that don't. A couple Amazon reviews don't speak for a product as a whole.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't say what type of games you play. That is very important in this discussion...

Do you play FPS games like Rainbow 6: Siege where positional audio, 7.1, is absolutely required? Or do you play only things like WoW where you just want to talk to your guild in vent during raids?
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

I've had good experiences with the Steelseries Siberia V2 and Siberia 350 headsets.

Sennheiser PC363D. You can't find a better headset with a built in mic. There is also a newer version called PC373D which is just not as good, so don't fall for that one.
    Last edited by lotuws; 2017-02-15 at 10:06 PM.

I recently grabbed a cheap desktop mic and a set of sennheiser earbuds and I'll never go back to cans.

Quote Originally Posted by creamo42 View Post
    I recently grabbed a cheap desktop mic and a set of sennheiser earbuds and I'll never go back to cans.
    That doesn't work for everybody, example me. I would take headphones literally any day of the week for any activity over earbuds. Aslong as they aren't on ear.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    You didn't say what type of games you play. That is very important in this discussion...

Do you play FPS games like Rainbow 6: Siege where positional audio, 7.1, is absolutely required? Or do you play only things like WoW where you just want to talk to your guild in vent during raids?
    I'd argue the whole appeal of 7.1 surround. Sure it's cool in theroy and you can get a few "Wow I heard that guy perfectly!" or you could get a decent pair of headphones and not need the 7.1 to hear footsteps and where they're coming from. If you really want to know where people are coming from get a pair of those 4 driver headphones that were revealed at CES believe Ossic X is what they were called. Costs 300$ preorder and 500$ MSRP buuuuut yaknow. They're really cool.

7.1, whether software or hardware-based, is a detriment rather than a supplement in games.
    They add confusion. A properly coded game will give you precise placement regardless because stereo is more than enough for that.
    Having multiple drivers per ear first reduces the quality of each individual driver (because you seriously can't believe you are getting that many 50$ drivers as someone else needing only 2 would for the same priced headphones, right?), they also have to compete with each other for sound stage. Sound waves et c.
    Software? It's just superfluous. If you really need to better this area of the sound stage, you can tinker with the EQ to let foot steps become clearer. That's all you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    I've had good experiences with the Steelseries Siberia V2 and Siberia 350 headsets.
    You must be one among few. I had a pair of V2 and against my recommendation, a friend of mine bought a newer Siberia-headset. Both of them are absolutely terrible in sound- and mic-quality. Their comfort is a strain after 30 min and excruciating after an hour. Glasses? Even worse. The constant creaking of the headbeam is a sure annoyance too.

I answered a similar question in another forum. I've had my pair of headphones for the past three years now, and I'm currently looking to change them. I've searched for multiple articles since I am no expert on the subject. I've stumble across a nice one, It's like a compilation of different headphone categories plus you can click on the title of each category to look at the full article.

Anyways my next pair of headphones is the LucidSound LS30 Wireless Universal Gaming Headset. The company seems relatively new, as they don't have many choices. The price doesn't look too high, and they offer great sets of features, plus if you can help a startup why not? Like I said I did not test them, I only read reviews/comments so don't blame me if you don't like them!

Here is the article I was talking bout earlier https://exposegaming.com/best-gaming-headset/ . I hope this helps you on your quest, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    7.1, whether software or hardware-based, is a detriment rather than a supplement in games.
    They add confusion. A properly coded game will give you precise placement regardless because stereo is more than enough for that.
    Having multiple drivers per ear first reduces the quality of each individual driver (because you seriously can't believe you are getting that many 50$ drivers as someone else needing only 2 would for the same priced headphones, right?), they also have to compete with each other for sound stage. Sound waves et c.
    Software? It's just superfluous. If you really need to better this area of the sound stage, you can tinker with the EQ to let foot steps become clearer. That's all you need.

You must be one among few. I had a pair of V2 and against my recommendation, a friend of mine bought a newer Siberia-headset. Both of them are absolutely terrible in sound- and mic-quality. Their comfort is a strain after 30 min and excruciating after an hour. Glasses? Even worse. The constant creaking of the headbeam is a sure annoyance too.
    I am very surprised to hear that. The pairs I've had have been great in terms of audio and mic quality. The earcups and headband are also some of the most comfortable I've ever had, I can literally wear them all day without feeling any strain at all.