Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool PM Trudeau says Canada and the EU must lead the world economy

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau praised the European Union on Thursday as an unprecedented model for peaceful cooperation, in a speech to EU lawmakers that contrasted sharply with the critical stance of U.S. President Donald Trump.

Speaking to the European Parliament a day after it backed a comprehensive free trade deal between Canada and the EU known as CETA, Trudeau said the 28-nation bloc had a crucial global role to play.

By contrast, Trump has questioned the value and future of the EU and has applauded Britain's shock decision to leave it.

"You are a vital player in addressing the challenges that we collectively face as an international community ... Indeed the whole world benefits from a strong EU," Trudeau told delighted EU lawmakers in his speech, delivered in English and French.

Canada and the EU share a belief in democracy, transparency and the rule of law, human rights, inclusion and diversity, said Trudeau, who is also due to visit Germany on his European tour.

"We know that, in these times, we must choose to lead the international economy, not simply be subject to its whims," he added.

CETA AS MODEL TO TRUMP?

With the passage of their trade deal, Canada and the EU offer a counter to Trump, who has withdrawn from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and wants to rework the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Trump told Trudeau in talks in Washington on Monday that the United States would only be "tweaking" its trade ties with Canada.

For Canada, the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) with the EU is important to reduce its reliance on the neighbouring United States as an export market.

For the EU, it is a first trade pact with a G7 country and a timely success after Britain's vote to leave the bloc last year harmed its credibility. Brexit supporters want to focus more on reviving trade with former British colonies, including Canada.

"We are in a globalised world and how we make sure that we are turning that into opportunities for small businesses and our citizens is the challenge of our time," said Trudeau.

Trump got elected partly by those who felt opportunities were slipping away, fearing for themselves and their children, Trudeau said, anxieties shared by people in Canada and Europe.

"Hopefully this spring the vast majority of the provisions of CETA are going to start impacting small business, workers, consumers. People will immediately begin to see the tangible benefits that come from trade deals such as this one."

Both Canada and the EU have to ensure that CETA, set to come into force in months, worked.

"If we are successful, CETA will become the blueprint for all ambitious, future trade deals. If we are not, this could very well be the last. So make no mistake, this is an important moment for us."
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSKBN15V15Y

Solid stuff. Definitely in Canada and the Euros interest to make this deal. Tangible benefits from trade sounds good to me.

Considering Trudeau lied about one of the biggest isues folks supported him on, I don't put a lot of stock into what he has to say about Europe, or Canada.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-to-political

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Considering Trudeau lied about one of the biggest isues folks supported him on, I don't put a lot of stock into what he has to say about Europe, or Canada.

2/3rds of Canadians don't want a change. I think Mr Trudeau is on the side of the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    2/3rds of Canadians don't want a change. I think Mr Trudeau is on the side of the people!
    Then why lie about it during the campaign?

As Mulcair pointed out, the pledge was made 1,813 times. It helped get the Liberals elected and there will be many voters who will never give Trudeau the benefit of the doubt again.

Add in that he's had NUMEROUS ethical violation charges in his tenure.

Canada has half the GDP California has and both Canada and California have about the same population.

We're talking about some tiny potatoes in this thread.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Canada has half the GDP California has and both Canada and California have about the same population.
    For now. When Trump screws over trade with China and Mexico it'll hurt California badly.

And >60% of people who voted in the 2015 elections voted against him. Yet not only is he PM but PM with a majority in the House of Commons.

Your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Putricide View Post
    And >60% of people who voted in the 2015 elections voted against him. Yet not only is he PM but PM with a majority in the House of Commons.

Your point?
    He's governing for the entire country.

Exactly why people want him to lead the world. If not the Prime Minister then who?

He's governing for the entire country.

Exactly why people want him to lead the world. If not the Prime Minister then who?
    Over 1800 times he and his party mentioned election reform. Interesting, that.

Turdo is sinking us so fast we won't know which way is up. This fuckin idiot needs to step down already, before we're another 50 billion in debt. No one who is an adult and understands how an economy and the real world works could ever take him seriously.

Yeah no I don't think so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

We're talking about some tiny potatoes in this thread.
    Shhh, don't tell the red states. We've only got a large gdp because we borrow money all the time and artificially inflate our earnings. If they realized that California is a huge contributor to the union economically, they might not let us leave.
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Over 1800 times he and his party mentioned election reform. Interesting, that.
    2/3rds of the country don't want reform. He is a man of the people and who better to lead the world in these uncertain times?

2/3rds of the country don't want reform. He is a man of the people and who better to lead the world in these uncertain times?
    Then why lie over 1800 times?

Isn't he kind of busy making people swoon?

Please reference the stats where 2/3rds of the country does not want reform.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    We have no economy, why do you think our dollar is in the fucking shitter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    Please reference the stats where 2/3rds of the country does not want reform.
    If you can't find it yourself then I could help out I suppose. Firstly, you should try on your own.

If you can't find it yourself then I could help out I suppose. Firstly, you should try on your own.
    You make the claim, you back it up.

Like how I provided evidence Trudeau and the liberals lied after promising electoral reform over 1800 times.