Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The closer to the boarder you get, the better the food. It isn't because people close to the boarder are better at making it; it is the fact taht the ingredients for true Mexican food need to be very fresh. That is a big part of the culinary process for making Mexican food, and why it sucks or tastes bland in Oregon or Canada. However it is getting better.

Next time your in Mexico, check out the produce and try it. It might not look as pretty as it does in America, but it is a tastes so much better. Warm water is also good for the Shrimp and Fish.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2017-02-16 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BannedForViews View Post
    I can also attest to the fact that a lot of the american equivalents of these ethnic foods fall shorts.
    Hey! We're getting better!

But really, your point stands. You wouldn't go to Memphis and expect to find great fish and chips. Likewise, you wouldn't go to London and expect to find great BBQ ribs. Might find acceptable versions at either place, of course.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Naa, there is one in Istanbul but didn't had chance to visit.

It needs to at least be recognized as talking about food that is regionally acceptable, in a fashion. You can get fondu most places in austria, but it is known to be a food more from Zurich than from Geneva.
    Switzerland!!! Zurich and Geneva are in Switzerland not in Austria =) Also, cheese fondue is traditionally a dish from the French-speaking part of the country: Fribourg, Lausanne, Geneva. The two most used cheeses (Gruyère and Vacherin) are both from the Fribourg region (which is half-way between Zurich and Geneva). You're totally right though, every region has its own spin on a "traditional" dish which doesn't make it any less authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizix View Post
    Switzerland!!! Zurich and Geneva are in Switzerland not in Austria =) Also, cheese fondue is traditionally a dish from the French-speaking part of the country: Fribourg, Lausanne, Geneva. The two most used cheeses (Gruyère and Vacherin) are both from the Fribourg region (which is half-way between Zurich and Geneva). You're totally right though, every region has its own spin on a "traditional" dish which doesn't make it any less authentic.
    Sorry, I knew what I meant, I feel rather foolish for writing that, one of those things that just came out and didn't feel write but I wasn't sure why.

My point though, ignoring my horrible geographic mistake, was that certain regions are more known for specific types of foods. Not all regions of Mexico are "taco/burrito" regions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I hear stories from co-workers that its very bland...unlike north american mexican food which is very tasty and spicy.

So is authentic mexican food bland and tasteless? I've only ever had taco bell and thats maybe once every 5 years.
    I've eaten chipotle. How about you?

Of course I have. I had Taco Bell on tuesday this week.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I don't really know what authentic Mexican food is. Most of the Mexicans I know like there burrito's or tacos with green chili on top of them. I don't know if that is authentic Mexican food either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I don't really know what authentic Mexican food is. Most of the Mexicans I know like there burrito's or tacos with green chili on top of them. I don't know if that is authentic Mexican food either.
    The dishes you should be looking for authentic Mexican taste/spicy are these: Menudo, Pozole, Chiles Rellenos, Carne con chile (bonus if it has nopales). Mole can be hit or miss depending on the cook. Basically for hotness, when you are eating it and your pores and sinuses aren't opening up, it isn't spicy enough. And I don't mean spicy as in no one wants to each shit you can't taste for flavor because your throat is on fire.

Tex-mex is not taco hell. Tex-mex especially south Texas tex-mex is top notch. I live in San Antonio, there is a reason so many peps are fat here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Choco-tacos are authentic mexican food
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

the best taco bowls are made in trump tower grill. I love Hispanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    So is authentic mexican food bland and tasteless? I've only ever had taco bell and thats maybe once every 5 years.
    No, it is not bland at all. Whatever information you got to this effect is total bullshit or made up.

I am actually a trained chef with actual restaurant experience. I did all three ranks of Mexican Cuisine. And I traveled to Mexico many times for recreation, work and study.

Only Indian food is comparable to the wide and complex flavors of Mexican Cuisine. I have been to India too- in fact, I travel just about everywhere except Antarctica and Australia/Land-That-Time-Forgot.

There is stuff like Birria ala Casa that is so potent and pungent your eyes tears uncontrollably and will make you gasp till on tasting toll you become acclimated.

Chiles en nogada takes days to prepare. Days. Some of the spices that season the meat are layered in over that time and each family has their own variant.

Authentic Mexican Cuisine is outrageous in complexity.

Whomever you have spoken to about Mexican cuisine is 100% full of shit or Taco Bell is the only Mexican they ever had too.

My point though, ignoring my horrible geographic mistake, was that certain regions are more known for specific types of foods. Not all regions of Mexico are "taco/burrito" regions.
    No worries, it looked like an innocent mistake, like dropping the bread in the fondue :-P Yeah, some foods are rooted in specific regions and traditional to their cuisine, other foods are traditional to a whole country but know regional spins (take pasta in Italy)... and now I'm hungry!

10+ Year Old Account
    Real Mexican food is delicious and usually doesn't cause me issues. Fake Mexican food drives me bonkers, I couldn't find a single decent place for Mexican when I was living in Canada, everything was so... clean, tasteless, plain? I can't eat Mexican food that looks "pretty".. it isn't right. Mexican food in the US is hit or miss, luckily there is one place here run by Mexicans and I love it. Cheap tasty food, I always tip em well.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Aori Wait! Decent Mexican food in ... Southern Illinois?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Aori Wait! Decent Mexican food in ... Southern Illinois?
    Ya we have one place, it's good unless you're a snob and have some weird expectations of a $6 taco salad. Ever so often I'll overhear people from Chicagoland complaining and comparing quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I've had it. A girl I was dating was always telling me how good her grandma from Mexico cooking was. When her grandma from Mexico was visiting, this girl brought me over for dinner that grandma cooked. The food was so bland and unappetizing. I told the family that the food was disgusting, dumped that girl, and left and went to a texmex restaurant with some bros.

#MAGA
    #Buildthewall

i lived out in california for a number of years, near los angeles

some of the best mexican food i ever had was out there, and i miss it dearly!!

my one roommates mother and grandmother used to visit m on occasion, and would bring over SO MUCH FOOD, and literally cook all day long, and make all of us a ton of food, it was awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    the best taco bowls are made in trump tower grill. I love Hispanics.
    Pretty much this. Leave it to Americans to make the best Mexican food.