Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    I think that's a bit of a cop-out. There's a mathematically perfect setup that would result in the best DPS possible (assuming you're skilled enough). The problem is there's just not enough intelligent people playing WoW who care enough to theorycraft it all out anymore. Those who do keep it to themselves (world-first races).
    That's largely not true. It's all theorycrafted and simmed out. When a new playstyle emerges at the top-end people quickly find out about it and it's optimized to within a nanometer. Boss strats are very carefully protected, but playstyles generally aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I didn't say correct information is irrelevant. I said that unless you're pushing top-tier raiding, being perfect isn't necessary.
    I have to disagree with you as well. The vast majority of information on Noxxic is extremely wrong. It is more detrimental to the player and to the community for someone to follow this information, than just spamming your filler spell(s). Wanting to play to better potential shouldn't be limited to top-tier raiding either. No sense in making your every day tasks, like WQ's, take longer because you're following bad information. This builds bad habits at very least. The fact that a mod from the leading WoW information repository is defending Noxxic baffles me honestly. On this site even, there is FARRRR better information for every class and spec in the game. Why give Noxxic any amount of credibility, by saying its "ok" for new or casual players to use it?

He isn't defending Noxxic, he's saying playing correctly doesn't really matter except at the high-end. And that's technically true, and you always have some dude saying it in these threads.

But what that dude doesn't get is that it matters to that player. WoW is all about progressing your character, getting more powerful. It doesn't matter if you actually need that power to overcome a specific obstacle. It's enough that it makes world quests faster, or pushes you higher up on the meters when you raid normal modes with your casual guild. That's what keeps you playing.

If you don't progress and get better every day, even incrementally, the core gameplay loop of a dikuMUD like WoW is short-circuited. And then you quit playing, because there's no reason to log-in. That's what artifact power is all about, essentially infinite incremental progression-- it's a retention mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    He isn't defending Noxxic, he's saying playing correctly doesn't really matter except at the high-end. And that's technically true, and you always have some dude saying it in these threads.

But what that dude doesn't get is that it matters to that player. WoW is all about progressing your character, getting more powerful. It doesn't matter if you actually need that power to overcome a specific obstacle. It's enough that it makes world quests faster, or pushes you higher up on the meters when you raid normal modes with your casual guild. That's what keeps you playing.
    The only reason someone would realistically look up a guide and actually apply its information is because they want to improve. The point is that using Noxxic's information will not lead to improvement over simply spamming 1-2 spells out of your spellbook for most classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2803 View Post
    The fact you had to look for a guide doesn't make you any better though OP.
    And yet here you are on forums with plenty of great guides.
    The Last Starfighter

"Listen, Centauri. I'm not any of those guys, I'm a kid from a trailer park." - Alex Rogan

"If that's what you think, then that's all you'll ever be!" - Centauri

Not satire, just lazy. All they want is people to go to the site so they can make money. Doesn't matter how correct or incorrect the information is.
    Hi Sephurik

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryhar View Post
    I'm reading the guide for frost mage on there, and the recommendations they give are hilariously wrong. Like, if you use the rotation they give you, you'll be bottom dps.

My friend says their rotation and talents for Affliction Warlock is also completely wrong: Noxxic recommends to spend resources putting your most damaging dot on your effigy that transfers only 30% of damage it takes to the boss.

Is this site satire? I feel like you'd know a lot of these things are wrong through common sense.
    lol so the reason why it reccomends putting your UA on the soul effigy, is that your dps will be higher
    on the boss? no
    overall yes
    because putting it on the boss you do 100%
    putting it on the efiggy you do 130% 100% to the effigy 30% to the boss

so if people have horrible meters, or are idiots, they will look like they are doing more damage... but in reality you are doing less...
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by noladrew View Post
    The only reason someone would realistically look up a guide and actually apply its information is because they want to improve. The point is that using Noxxic's information will not lead to improvement over simply spamming 1-2 spells out of your spellbook for most classes.
    It's not quite that bad for most specs. But if you want to improve, definitely read the Icy-veins or wowhead guides. Or even better, start hitting up discords.

The site shouldve been shutdown the moment blizz called them out for being utter wrong and utter shite!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Creraria View Post
    Fury
    we getting carried by Archi
    hunter topic wasnot good there too in cata while for DKs was the best source

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised Noxxic didn't screw up the BM hunter guide.

I've never liked Noxxic because they place their faith on SimCraft, which as we all know is unreliable to begin with since it's perfect storm situations
    Last edited by SinR; 2017-02-18 at 12:12 AM. Reason: I added stuff
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Noxxic ALMOST got the meatball build right, though I'm pretty sure any idiot can "almost" get the talents right for that build. Even if they correctly picked EB instead of EF it's impossible to get a correct understanding of Elemental in 715 unless you also understand the existence of the LR and Icefury builds and why you might use them instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Effenz View Post
    I miss EJ so much
    This. So much this.

TC has gone really down the toilet after EJ closed down.

Noxxic tends to offer up pleb friendly specs instead of what's currently simming the best from what I've noticed.

Honestly specs have been so whittled down that it shouldn't be a problem to take even the shittiest build and then make changes based on a bit of playing around in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Drefanator View Post
    Jastall, even Icy veins says wrecking ball instead of avatar, and whirlwind is your rage dump. I'm not saying either is right, as Icyveins says "this is for beginners to the spec". Nor am I trying to defend noxxic. Its just that it seems a lot of Noxxic is very much "Hey you just picked up your spec today, heres how to use it." Yes, there are much better ways. Some are a little more complex and better for minmaxers but Noxxic seems to very much be for new to the spec.

Now, saying that. I'd rather get my information that is meant to top charts, with some "If you cant do this one mechanic well, heres an alternative playstyle", which noxxic doesnt have. Icy veins does do that which is really nice.
    Icy Veins states that you should use WB when you can sustain the AOE on multiple targets. That is accurate. Saying you should just take it over Avatar is not.

And Icy Veins doesn't say you use Whirlwind as a rage dump either, because Fury's Whirlwind is free to cast and costs no Rage. Arms's Whirlwind costs Rage, they got them mixed up. The information is just straight up inaccurate.

And the above information isn't exactly too much for a new player to understand. Noxxic is just wrong here. At least the stat priority is fine, but I wouldn't recommend the website even to a new player.

Deleted
    Took a look at their shadow guide... Well, stats are completely wrong (I"m not even talking about the more advanced stuff like soft caps and CMD ratio, even the basic advice is wrong), rotation is more or less fine (it's really nearly impossible to get it wrong), but when it comes to AoE, it still references what I assume was mind sear (link to spell is broken), regardless of stating that the guide was updated for 7.1.5. And cooldows part is misleading. Don't think it's satirical though, at least if it is, it's not funny.

Also checked out icy-veins, it seems to have most of the information correct, at some point. It seems that no one bothered to clean up the guide during the repeated changes to shadow and as the theorycrafting was done. So the more tldr parts have incorrect/outdated information, but the in-depth ones are better. The only faults I found were with no mention of 10k vs 12k haste part and that legendaries section is almost completely wrong and has no mention of talent impact.
    Last edited by mmoc485edc1e5f; 2017-02-18 at 02:46 AM.

It is, but not intentionally so.

How do they get their data, anyways? Is there an actual person contributing this or is it some sort of metadata collection or what? I never got it and assumed it was automatically grabbing data from other places which is why it was always so mismatched and random. If there's really a person writing it... I mean, it'd be pretty dick, but couldn't they just copy Icy Veins or something more reliable? There's not really any excuse if there's an actual person manually writing all of this.

Unless, of course, you're right and it's just a major troll. I feel like in situations like these people claim it is when it isn't, though. Like, a person intends to be genuine, realizes it's terrible, feigns trolling/satire to save face.

Edit: Lol it's telling Havocs to spec Chaos Cleave for ST

Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    It is, but not intentionally so.

How do they get their data, anyways? Is there an actual person contributing this or is it some sort of metadata collection or what? I never got it and assumed it was automatically grabbing data from other places which is why it was always so mismatched and random. If there's really a person writing it... I mean, it'd be pretty dick, but couldn't they just copy Icy Veins or something more reliable? There's not really any excuse if there's an actual person manually writing all of this.

Unless, of course, you're right and it's just a major troll. I feel like in situations like these people claim it is when it isn't, though. Like, a person intends to be genuine, realizes it's terrible, feigns trolling/satire to save face.
    It's a problem with curation of the data. If they gave a shit, they'd have a team of moderators or players who'd keep the information up-to-date. (Icy-Veins got a rap for failing to do this, but recently has been better.) But I don't think Noxxic is the kind of website that gives a shit about the quality of the information on their page, just that there's a subsection of uninformed players who Google "how i shot fireball" and their page comes up at the top of the list. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Tryhar View Post
    I'm reading the guide for frost mage on there, and the recommendations they give are hilariously wrong. Like, if you use the rotation they give you, you'll be bottom dps.

My friend says their rotation and talents for Affliction Warlock is also completely wrong: Noxxic recommends to spend resources putting your most damaging dot on your effigy that transfers only 30% of damage it takes to the boss.

Is this site satire? I feel like you'd know a lot of these things are wrong through common sense.
    I mean just the fact that Noxxic tells you to use Effigy as Affliction is laughable. Now the top talent for most situations is Soul Conduit.