Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oftenwrongsoong View Post
    It's battery, not assault.
    I admittedly don't know the difference. I think my intentions were obvious right?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    It isn't a violation of the first amendment. It's just assault.

The only entity that can violate the first amendment is the government.
    Eh you know what everyone meant, it's late.

Punching people because of what they say, I would consider that a violation of the punched persons freedom of speech rights.

Universities not allowing people to give a talk is not a violation of free speech. Is it something we should encourage or even agree with?

I would say no. BUT the free speech is a red herring in those cases and bringing it up only shows how little thought people put into making their arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I admittedly don't know the difference. I think my intentions were obvious right?
    Assault is a threat, Battery is the physical follow through or the actual action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuem View Post

Punching people because of what they say, I would consider that a violation of the punched persons freedom of speech rights.
    You would be utterly wrong. Someone isn't violating my freedom of speech if they punch me after I call their mother fat.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Universities not allowing people to give a talk is not a violation of free speech. Is it something we should encourage or even agree with?

I would say no. BUT the free speech is a red herring in those cases and bringing it up only shows how little thought people put into making their arguments.
    If the University is a State university, then yes it is a violation of the First Amendment. (e.g., it would be a violation if they prevent you from making an anti-Trump/pro-Trump statement).

If the University is a private university, then no it is not a violation of the First Amendment (e.g., the can prevent you from any speech of any kind at any time).
    Last edited by Oftenwrongsoong; 2017-02-18 at 06:17 AM.

Free speech does not equate to freedom from consequences, and it never should. Everyone should be held accountable for their actions, be they words that they speak, a punch that they throw, or any other action they may perform.

In other words, you can say whatever you want to, but be ready to accept whatever happens afterward. You can't say anything you want with impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuem View Post

It doesn't matter what you think!

If the University is a State university, then yes it is a violation of the First Amendment.

If the University is a private university, then no it is not a violation of the First Amendment.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMathan View Post
    You can't say anything you want with impunity.
    In my own house, I most certainly can.

- - - Updated - - -

Anevers, the First Amendment applies equally to all government/state actors. State universities are government/state actors.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    What is there to discuss when moderators of this forum first break that rule? More so, it gives them right to misunderstand words of users and portray them however they wish and then lock the threads. Where is absolute freedom in speech if I can't mock stupid things? By mocking, I surely threating someone to do physical harm...
    Freedom of speech only applies to state actors, not private actors. MMO Champion, Blizzard, your mom, and anyone else who is not a state actor can restrict anything you say if they want to and have the means. MMO and Blizzard can delete your thread, your mom can put soap in your mouth and tell you to shut up, etc.

Read about it if you want: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_actor

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a duck. If it goose steps it deserves a good punching.

I live by the old rule, don't want to get your ass kicked? Don't say shit to people who will kick your ass.
    You don't even know what a Nazi is. Pro tip. The people that punch the other political party are the Fascists.

If you really think the entire American right is the new Nazi party. Then maybe we should just have a civil war now and save ourselves a lot of time and aggravation. You're too out of touch to be reasoned with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    As long as the speech isn't threatening or guaranteeing physical harm, it doesn't matter how disagreeable you may find it. It's protected, and is above censorship.
    You forgot to include "and is above censorship by the government." Not including that part of the phrase makes you either a liar or willfully ignorant considering how many times it's already been stated in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Someone being offended is not grounds for restricting expression. If it was, there would be grounds to censor almost everything.
    I think that probably depends on where that expression is taking place.

If the University is a State university, then yes it is a violation of the First Amendment. (e.g., it would be a violation if they prevent you from making an anti-Trump/pro-Trump statement).

If the University is a private university, then no it is not a violation of the First Amendment (e.g., the can prevent you from any speech of any kind at any time).
    First, just because an institution is funded (and in most cases they're only partially funded) by the state doesn't make it the government. Thus the justification that anyone and everyone should be able to speak at a state university because if not "omg my free speech!" is false. Second, there are a plethora of reasons they can use to justify why one person shouldn't be able to speak and another should and it doesn't have to be directly related to the speaker. Citing the recent example, life safety was an concern at Milo's last cancelled event. It had nothing to do with the speaker and everything to do with the ongoing riot that was due to the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Oh fucking stop it.

Those were reports based on actual data.

Listen very carefully......you guys cry and scream about biased reporting but Trump had Bannon AND Ailes working with his campaign. Working. With. His. Campaign.

You cannot get more biased than that. It is impossible. You guys don't get to sit here and cry about bioased reporting, when you voted in Bannon and the puppet he shares with Putin.

I have seen the chain emails that get sent around for the right. There is no source. No verification. No anything. And you people believe that while decrying the NYT. Its fucking insane.

They didn't fabricate the piss stuff. Pizzagate on the other hand, was fabricated and it almost ended in bloodshed.
    The pissgate stuff was entirely unsubstantiated. Just because somebody wrote some fan fiction about Trump having a piss fetish and passed it off to the media doesn't make it true.

Now, the pizza emails on the other hand are 100% Podesta. They talk about pizza in context that I've never heard pizza discussed in before. That is at least evidence we can discuss because we all know who wrote the emails, under what circumstances and roughly how they were acquired. So completely different than the pissgate document.

Maybe Podesta just talks about pizza in weird ways. I guess it's possible.

You've been gaslighted bro. I'm sorry. You've somehow been convinced that Donald fucking Trump, a New York businessman who has been a household name for decades is a Russian puppet because #reasons. Because he dared oppose our progressive overlords, I guess.

Fuck our progressive overlords.

In my own house, I most certainly can.

- - - Updated - - -

Anevers, the First Amendment applies equally to all government/state actors. State universities are government/state actors.
    It would seem you are correct, my bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Yoiu should read up on your history. This is more or less how the Nazis started.
    When Trump advocates genocide, I'll be right there with you fighting back. Building a wall isn't genocide. It's not even racist, despite what the MSM says.

Quote Originally Posted by Delana View Post
    You don't even know what a Nazi is. Pro tip. The people that punch the other political party are the Fascists.

If you really think the entire American right is the new Nazi party. Then maybe we should just have a civil war now and save ourselves a lot of time and aggravation. You're too out of touch to be reasoned with.
    Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a nazi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free speech is, and always must be, a key foundation of the US, so long as it is done by individuals. Freedom of speech is also just the freedom from the government interfering with it.

File this thread under 'we want smaller government.'
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii