Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Go back further than just supermarkets that carry the item, to the distributor and factories that are supported by it. If sales drop 50% and stay that way - just for the sake of argument - then you're looking at a big shift in how many workers are necessary across the board, from supervisors to truck drivers to forklift operators, et cetera.
    The same point applies - people will, presumably, buy something else.

I will shed as many tears for job loss in the soda industry as job loss in the cigarette industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    People become fatties because they don't exercise, not because they drink sodas.
    It's a combination of effects. If you dysregulate your body's ability to handle sugar by constantly drinking large quantities of sugar water, then you're going to set yourself on a path to diabetes and obesity.

Deleted
    You need a new routine, this one is old and boring.
    Well you haven't really posted anything beyond "less people are buying soda" so what are we discussing it's a genuine question. Less people drinking soda is good

People become fatties because they don't exercise, not because they drink sodas.
    Snacks > bad food > sodas > exercise. In the order of which is worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

You need a new routine, this one is old and boring.
    As do you, this whole 'Being triggered by everything in the world' game you play is boring now. Ironic considering one of your recent threads....

This is a good thing, not a bad thing. This brings soda on par with water in terms of price now. Which means that the alternative is the same price with health benefits. Don't be so short sighted as to just say "Oh noes, it's more expensive!"

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Job loss? Is that the only thing we're supposed to care about?

And the job market isn't suffering. That's fantasy. The job market isn't great for some people with some skills. This is always true, and people can always point to this truth in order to justify their views that 'the job market is suffering'. But that doesn't make it true for the majority of people.

Finally, lost jobs will be replaced elsewhere, if they haven't already been automated away. It's not like people will stop drinking liquids.
    You should check out Amazon Go and just how many retail establishments are going to be following that type of program if you think the job market isn't suffering. It is, and it will get worse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Lets all stimulate the economy by purchasing mass amount of soda. I' ll do my part!

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    As do you, this whole 'Being triggered by everything in the world' game you play is boring now. Ironic considering one of your recent threads....

This is a good thing, not a bad thing. This brings soda on par with water in terms of price now. Which means that the alternative is the same price with health benefits. Don't be so short sighted as to just say "Oh noes, it's more expensive!"

"Titan posted an item for discussion, better brush off the old "he is triggered" routine. lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    We should probably tax people by the hour when they sit down and play World of Warcraft or any other video game.
    Nah because it's not unilaterally destructive, unlike drinking soda, which has flat-out superior alternatives. You gain essentially nothing from drinking a can of soda (except in a few very limited circumstances involving starvation, which is generally not a problem in the US, and even then there are better and cheaper alternatives there). Playing an hour of a video game, or engaging in any sort of entertainment for that matter, reduces stress. It can become a problem if that's all you do, but in reasonable quantities entertainment serves an important role in society.

- - - Updated - - -

You should check out Amazon Go and just how many retail establishments are going to be following that type of program if you think the job market isn't suffering. It is, and it will get worse.
    Care to elaborate?

This may come as a newsflash to the OP but most, if not all brands that carry soda, also sell bottled water...

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The same point applies - people will, presumably, buy something else.

I will shed as many tears for job loss in the soda industry as job loss in the cigarette industry.
    Well, that's a great way to look at human beings trying to make a living. I'm sure whoever you work for isn't saving the world, but we all have to eat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xero5141 View Post
    We should be limiting sales of these things by making alternatives more affordable. Why can I go to the store and get a two liter of soda for $0.78 when it's 90-99% water (depending on the calorie content) but water is 2-3x that? If i'm on a few hour drive and I need something to drink and stop by a gas station am I going to grab a $1 soda or a $2 bottle of water?
    this right here. bottled water is a fucking scam. where i live, the provincial government practically gives our water for free to nestle. the same stuff that comes out of the tap can be bought for 2$ a bottle. total joke.
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Snacks > bad food > sodas > exercise. In the order of which is worst.
    The funny part is everyone is assuming people who drink sodas are going through a case of them a day. As I said, very short sighted on multiple people here.

As someone who drinks soda everyday i wish the government would get out of the health department. Let the people who have poor eating habits suffer the consequences and stop interfering. If they cant pay their hospital bills then kick them out. People need to learn there are consequences to their actions and bailing them out everytime just creates a dependency that maybe the government actually wants.

I will give up my canned Mountain Dew when they peel my cold dead fingers from around it.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

The funny part is everyone is assuming people who drink sodas are going through a case of them a day. As I said, very short sighted on multiple people here.
    Yeah. People who get fat usually can't keep away from snacks most of all. The other things just add to make it even worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sounds like less people are drinking syrupy sweet sodas...

How is this a bad thing?
    B-but...money! Consumption...! Buy our crap D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's a great way to look at human beings trying to make a living. I'm sure whoever you work for isn't saving the world, but we all have to eat.
    Sorry, I don't know about Spectral but I have limited sympathy for those who work in industries that are actively destructive to humanity. If your dinner comes at the cost of a child's lungs in Ghana, I'm not sure I can justify that expense.

By all means shows the job losses then...

o wait...it hasn't happened.

It's not the short-sightedness you need to be worried about. It the blindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Nah because it's not unilaterally destructive, unlike drinking soda, which has flat-out superior alternatives. You gain essentially nothing from drinking a can of soda (except in a few very limited circumstances involving starvation, which is generally not a problem in the US, and even then there are better and cheaper alternatives there). Playing an hour of a video game, or engaging in any sort of entertainment for that matter, reduces stress. It can become a problem if that's all you do, but in reasonable quantities entertainment serves an important role in society.

- - - Updated - - -

Care to elaborate?
    It's pretty much what all retail will move towards to save costs. A program that lets you walk in to a store, pick anything you want off the shelves, and it automatically charges you when you leave, eliminating cashiers and bag boys almost entirely. The self-checkouts tried to do that with little success in Canada, but this will probably wind up being the started in the next decade or so. Then you're looking at masses upon masses of either unskilled workers, or semi-skilled workers that had to take a job beneath them to survive, on welfare or trying to compete for jobs that are already filled because this will leave a huge vacuum in the working class.