Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I understand being proud of winning the war, but actually changing their whole accent? Seems really extreme to me.
    Yes, that's why.

I guess that's why people near the Thames changed their accents from other people in London; the little known Great War of the River Thames of 1972. Second only to the 27 Day War of Ontario that took place near the Great Lakes where Canadians universally decided to change their accents from their American cousins despite still revering the Queen.

All positively true.

Accents are 100% voluntary and 100% a conscious decision after a war. No other explanations possible. And in no way does anyone who states these undeniable and universal facts sound at all stupid. Don't be silly, now.
    Last edited by Doctor Funkenstein; 2017-02-18 at 09:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Yes, that's why.

I guess that's why people near the Thames changed their accents from other people in London; the little known Great War of the River Thames of 1972. Second only to the 27 Day War of Ontario that took place near the Great Lakes where Canadians universally decided to change their accents from their American cousins despite still revering the Queen.

All positively true.

Accents are 100% voluntary and 100% a conscious decision after a war. No other explanations possible. And in no way does anyone who states these undeniable and universal facts sound at all stupid. Don't be silly, now.
    this makes sense to me now. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    After George Washington freed the slaves he decreed, "Don't be speakin' dat kang's anglish" and so hip-hop was born.
    You could have at least used Hamilton.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Supposedly there are places in Appalachia where they speak English the way it was spoken 300 years ago. When they scientists say that, they mean these people pronounced consonants and vowels the way people did in England 300 years ago.
    Actually the Coastal Southern accent is the closest to the original English aristocracy left in the English speaking world. The only real difference is how it rolls.

If you want to hear this accent, well listen to Paula Dean. Believe it or not, that's closer to the original English accent than the ones used in England today.

re: Australia

As mentioned in that video, most scholars believe the stereotypical modern English accent developed during and after the Industrial Revolution, and the bulk of colonization in Australia happened during this time, well after the colonization of the Americas. In fact, one of the primary reasons for colonizing Australia was that the British Empire needed new penal colonies after the US gained independence.

In short, they were colonized later and brought the accent with them, which is a major reason why they don't sound like Americans and Canadians (but not really English, either).

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    There are a lot of English accents just inside of England itself.
    I often wonder if the the thicker accented British\Irish\Scottish have as much trouble understanding Americans as I do understanding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    You could have at least used Hamilton.
    Musicals in my black culture?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

I understand being proud of winning the war, but actually changing their whole accent? Seems really extreme to me.
    Heck, different accents exist even among the British American accents are more of a result of isolation and ethnicity, as was previously mentioned. That's why a person from New England will sound different than a person from Louisiana.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

I'm a cunning linquist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    I'm a cunning linquist.
    Sean Connery, is that you!?
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

You do know that accents develop naturally over time and often are geographically based, correct?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always heard that Yankee dialect is closer to true Shakespearian English that most of the Cockneyed dialects of modern England.

America has many accents. The commonly portrayed "American accent" in movies and TV is the west coast accent.

How come Australia still speaks in an english accent?
    They don't. They have an Australian accent.

Deleted
    I really cant imagine someone from texas speaking like someone from wales.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    I really cant imagine someone from texas speaking like someone from wales.
    They do have the sheep thing in common at least.

7+ Year Old Account
    The inbreeding in the empire cause the funny accents

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    America has many accents. The commonly portrayed "American accent" in movies and TV is the west coast accent.
    Depends on the movie lol The NY/NJ accent is still used a lot too. Baddabing, baddaboom! Fuggitabboutit.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Depends on the movie lol The NY/NJ accent is still used a lot too. Baddabing, baddaboom! Fuggitabboutit.
    Usually only if the movie is set there or the characters are specifically from there. Same with southern and midwestern accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I often wonder if the the thicker accented British\Irish\Scottish have as much trouble understanding Americans as I do understanding them.
    i read some historical account that said that most americans were "remarkably well-spoken" compared to their english counterparts back in the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    They do have the sheep thing in common at least.
    in texas we use cows, tyvm.

How come Australia still speaks in an english accent?
    Relevant. 10c