Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Americans will not do those jobs for minimum wage, either.
    You're right, they won't. Minimum wage is a slave wage.

If a business in the US can't attract American workers, they are not paying enough. If a business will not pay a living wage, it deserves to go out of business.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Yeah sorry that's not how it works. You are not going to allow an employee to continue to produce sterile medical products, food products, and other products that could cause harm to others just because you want some silly two week termination. Will never happen, ever.
    You can always put them on PTO for two weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    Why is it okay for staff to give essentially no notice that they won't be showing up, aside from illness or family emergency, and not okay for an employer to terminate on the spot.
    Because employers have a lot more power and accordingly should be held to a much higher standard.

As mentioned before, it's considered good practice to give an employer two weeks notice of resignation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

As mentioned before, it's considered good practice to give an employer two weeks notice of resignation.
    Is it required? No. Right to work state. Benefits employer and the employee.

The amount of shock, especially from US posters, that have no idea all but like two states are At-Will points out education issues.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Yeah sorry that's not how it works. You are not going to allow an employee to continue to produce sterile medical products, food products, and other products that could cause harm to others just because you want some silly two week termination. Will never happen, ever.
    That's why they make you take your remaining holiday up to the day on which the contract ceases, which can be as long as a month. Sometimes they'll agree to put you on extended leave until the contract expires (so you continue to earn a wage but they don't want you at work).

For the record, I have a 2 MONTH notice period (goes both ways) at work. If they want to fire me immediately it takes a justified cause that would withstand a tribunal hearing (and no, "he didn't turn up one day" isn't enough of a reason - and those tribunals are weighted in favour of the employee).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Is it required? No. Right to work state. Benefits employer and the employee.
    Sure, if you believe the Republican bullshit about how right to work actually protects workers.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Sure, if you believe the Republican bullshit about how right to work actually protects workers.
    Especially as there isn't much the employer can do even if you have a notification period and say "I'm leaving, and I'm not coming to work anymore".

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    But that's horrible!
    no it's not having a job isn't a right

You can always put them on PTO for two weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Because employers have a lot more power and accordingly should be held to a much higher standard.

The fact that these workers essentially unionized themselves and put the company in that position shows just how much potential power employees have. And 2 week notice only applies when it's parting ways on good terms.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    The fact that these workers essentially unionized themselves and put the company in that position shows just how much potential power employees have. And 2 week notice only applies when it's parting ways on good terms.
    Should be a legal requirement, quite frankly.

Should be a legal requirement, quite frankly.
    Good thing nobody asked you.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Americans will not do those jobs for minimum wage, either.
    but it's fine if illegals do them for below the minimum?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Good thing nobody asked you.
    Yeah, being a labor supporter isn't considered respectable in the Corpocratic States of America.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    but it's fine if illegals do them for below the minimum?
    No, which is precisely why I support punitive action against employers that employ them in such a capacity.

That and it will make all the "but but, think of the poor business owners" present cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    That's why they make you take your remaining holiday up to the day on which the contract ceases, which can be as long as a month. Sometimes they'll agree to put you on extended leave until the contract expires (so you continue to earn a wage but they don't want you at work).

For the record, I have a 2 MONTH notice period (goes both ways) at work. If they want to fire me immediately it takes a justified cause that would withstand a tribunal hearing (and no, "he didn't turn up one day" isn't enough of a reason - and those tribunals are weighted in favour of the employee).
    Except that here you aren't guaranteed to have that holiday time to begin with, sure as heck not a month unless you've been working at the same place for 15 years or so. Keep in mind as well, we don't sign contracts here for jobs generally, that's generally something that is only done for CEO's. sports guys, etc.

The type of workers we are talking about here are hourly wage employees, which makes up the largest bulk of US workers. There is no contract to work out or expire for this type of employee. Vacation, PTO, Sick days, etc. are benefits, not requirements by law. The one leave you do have is FMLA ( family medical leave act) which is just exactly as it sounds, and is only good for 3 months ( although my company allows you 6 months). You can take an " extended leave" but that is based on something I have zero knowledge of how it works or how it is determined, so I'm assuming that is a company thing ( probably something like drug addiction I would assume).

So being there is no contract other than just basically a verbal agreement that you are hired and will continue to work indefinitely, or until you are terminated. It may be different in non-right to work States, but I don't have any actual knowledge on them having not worked in one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that here you aren't guaranteed to have that holiday time to begin with, sure as heck not a month unless you've been working at the same place for 15 years or so. Keep in mind as well, we don't sign contracts here for jobs generally, that's generally something that is only done for CEO's. sports guys, etc.

The type of workers we are talking about here are hourly wage employees, which makes up the largest bulk of US workers. There is no contract to work out or expire for this type of employee. Vacation, PTO, Sick days, etc. are benefits, not requirements by law. The one leave you do have is FMLA ( family medical leave act) which is just exactly as it sounds, and is only good for 3 months ( although my company allows you 6 months). You can take an " extended leave" but that is based on something I have zero knowledge of how it works or how it is determined, so I'm assuming that is a company thing ( probably something like drug addiction I would assume).

So being there is no contract other than just basically a verbal agreement that you are hired and will continue to work indefinitely, or until you are terminated. It may be different in non-right to work States, but I don't have any actual knowledge on them having not worked in one.
    All of this being precisely why 'right to work' needs to be abolished and decent employee protections put into place.

Yeah, being a labor supporter isn't considered respectable in the Corpocratic States of America.

- - - Updated - - -

No, which is precisely why I support punitive action against employers that employ them in such a capacity.

That and it will make all the "but but, think of the poor business owners" present cry.
    I think you will find that most American's think businesses that hire illegal workers should be nailed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you will find that most American's think businesses that hire illegal workers should be nailed.
    No, I generally think that most American voters are too busy harassing Millennial and Gen Z supermarket baggers to take much notice of employment policy.

What kind of country are we living in where people are fired for skipping work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

All of this being precisely why 'right to work' needs to be abolished and decent employee protections put into place.
    There are plenty of protections for employees, even in right to work states. Your arguing for mandatory time off for protesting. That isn't a thing.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

See I disagree, I have no desire to continue working for a company that doesn't want me there anyways. I sure as heck don't want to be forced to work out a contract for an employer that I don't want to work for either.

Now sensible things like, you can't just fire me because I had a bad hair day, yeah ok I'll buy that. Firing you and then being forced to pay you because your butt didn't come to work? Yeah I have a hard time getting behind that. Good lord do I know the people that would work that system so freaking much to keep getting paid to do nothing.