Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    What kind of country are we living in where people are fired for skipping work?
    Crazy huh?
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    There are plenty of protections for employees, even in right to work states. Your arguing for mandatory time off for protesting, that isn't a thing.
    'Plenty of protections'?

Oh, so you mean that employers are required to give adequate notice of termination to give people sufficient time to find another job, or are required to give a decent amount of paid leave for sick, vacation, and parental purposes, or are required to pay workers an adequate living wage, or are required to abide by nondiscrimination policies regarding minorities and the like?

I'm not arguing for 'mandatory time off for protesting', I'm arguing against arbitrary and immediate dismissal and the fact the owner of this business is clearly too much of a shithead to try and find a middle ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I support labor, and I support company rights. I work in Australia and the amount of people you see abusing the system because they are protected is quite high. Taking sick days every time they accrue one for the sake of having a day off, then when they actually get sick they just get a medical certificate and nothing can be done. Mind you it's always a Monday, Friday or public holiday, and usually coincides with an RDO (rostered day off). I'm all for workers rights, the right to a safe work environment, fair wages, racial and sexual discrimination and even religion as long as the company doesn't have to make certain exceptions to meet your beliefs. I do not believe staff should be able to give a big fuck you to their employer, not show up for work, and keep their jobs.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Except that here you aren't guaranteed to have that holiday time to begin with, sure as heck not a month unless you've been working at the same place for 15 years or so. Keep in mind as well, we don't sign contracts here for jobs generally, that's generally something that is only done for CEO's. sports guys, etc.

The type of workers we are talking about here are hourly wage employees, which makes up the largest bulk of US workers. There is no contract to work out or expire for this type of employee. Vacation, PTO, Sick days, etc. are benefits, not requirements by law. The one leave you do have is FMLA ( family medical leave act) which is just exactly as it sounds, and is only good for 3 months ( although my company allows you 6 months). You can take an " extended leave" but that is based on something I have zero knowledge of how it works or how it is determined, so I'm assuming that is a company thing ( probably something like drug addiction I would assume).

So being there is no contract other than just basically a verbal agreement that you are hired and will continue to work indefinitely, or until you are terminated. It may be different in non-right to work States, but I don't have any actual knowledge on them having not worked in one.
    In Germany almost everybody has a contract. I think seasonal farm workers may be an exception, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    No, I generally think that most American voters are too busy harassing Millennial and Gen Z supermarket baggers to take much notice of employment policy.
    Oh bless your heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    See I disagree, I have no desire to continue working for a company that doesn't want me there anyways. I sure as heck don't want to be forced to work out a contract for an employer that I don't want to work for either.
    God forbid you have to work for two weeks before your resignation goes into effect, during which time you'll probably be put on vacation if it's on bad terms.

As I said, stop acting like the US is the only country where people are employed on a full time basis.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    I support labor, and I support company rights. I work in Australia and the amount of people you see abusing the system because they are protected is quite high. Taking sick days every time they accrue one for the sake of having a day off, then when they actually get sick they just get a medical certificate and nothing can be done. Mind you it's always a Monday, Friday or public holiday, and usually coincides with an RDO (rostered day off). I'm all for workers rights, the right to a safe work environment, fair wages, racial and sexual discrimination and even religion as long as the company doesn't have to make certain exceptions to meet your beliefs. I do not believe staff should be able to give a big fuck you to their employer, not show up for work, and keep their jobs.
    I found another Liberal voter, guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh bless your heart.
    Probably one of the few phrases that makes me want to punch Southerners on a regular basis.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

'Plenty of protections'?

Oh, so you mean that employers are required to give adequate notice of termination to give people sufficient time to find another job, or are required to give a decent amount of paid leave for sick, vacation, and parental purposes, or are required to pay workers an adequate living wage, or are required to abide by nondiscrimination policies regarding minorities and the like?

I'm not arguing for 'mandatory time off for protesting', I'm arguing against arbitrary and immediate dismissal and the fact the owner of this business is clearly too much of a shithead to try and find a middle ground.
    They aren't required to give notice. Many employees walk off the job everyday, without giving notice. You understand this going in. At least the business gave these people a heads up. The rest was their decision. Sorry, your wrong.
    Last edited by ControlWarrior; 2017-02-19 at 12:19 AM.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    They aren't required to give notice. Many employees walk off the job everyday, without giving notice. You understand this going in. At least the business gave these people a heads up. The rest was their decision. Sorry, your wrong.
    Is 'should' not a word in American English?

I am aware that current employment practices in the United States are retarded, thanks. What I am arguing is that it should not be the case.

7+ Year Old Account
    Didn't anybody tell you nobody cares about your feelings? These people were warned and did it anyway. It really shouldn't be a surprise they were fired, and it's their own damn fault. There is 0 reason why an employer should "find a middle ground."

At first I thought this was "hateful" people being hateful but its really about the people who feel threatened protesting what they imagine is a rise in hate recently.

If there's going to be a holiday, I'd like it to be for everyone, instead of just another group of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Didn't anybody tell you nobody cares about your feelings? These people were warned and did it anyway. It really shouldn't be a surprise they were fired, and it's their own damn fault. There is 0 reason why an employer should "find a middle ground."
    Aside from it promoting a healthier and more cohesive relationship between employer and employee, sure.

But hey, human life is cheap and those painting projects are time sensitive.

Probably one of the few phrases that makes me want to punch Southerners on a regular basis.
    Punching someone for saying something you don't like? That's very liberal of you.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Punching someone for saying something you don't like? That's very liberal of you.
    Haha, I like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I've never claimed to be a liberal with any degree of seriousness.

And hey, if the Commander-in-Chief can voice every outrageous desire in his head then I guess that makes it okay!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    In Germany almost everybody has a contract. I think seasonal farm workers may be an exception, but I'm not sure.
    Yeah tbh I'm not even sure I would want one if I could get one. The main reason is, if I get a job offer tomorrow that is double my current pay with equal benefits, I don't want to be sitting around for 6 months waiting on an old contract to expire. Currently I can hop ship the next day if I want too.

There are ups and downs to both systems. Yeah in the US we are more vulnerable, but it also gives us the freedom to move around as things come along. The whole " 2 week notice" thing isn't a law here, it's more or less just you being nice. But I can tell you when I jumped from my first job that was $8 an hour to one that was $14, I didn't give them anything. I left that job on a Friday and started the new one the following Monday.

I found another Liberal voter, guys.
    I'm assuming this is an insult. So what part do you disagree with? The fact that employees should have rights, or the fact that an employer should also have rights when it comes to terminating staff who either abuse the system or show complete lack of interest in the company's wellbeing.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    I'm assuming this is an insult. So what part do you disagree with? The fact that employees should have rights, or the fact that an employer should also have rights when it comes to terminating staff who either abuse the system or show complete lack of interest in the company's wellbeing.
    As far as I am concerned employers can fend for themselves unless there's compelling social interest in doing otherwise.

Why, because you can't understand the nuance? I can't help it if it means 50 things, you will just need to figure out which one I was referring to

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah tbh I'm not even sure I would want one if I could get one. The main reason is, if I get a job offer tomorrow that is double my current pay with equal benefits, I don't want to be sitting around for 6 months waiting on an old contract to expire. Currently I can hop ship the next day if I want too.

There are ups and downs to both systems. Yeah in the US we are more vulnerable, but it also gives us the freedom to move around as things come along. The whole " 2 week notice" thing isn't a law here, it's more or less just you being nice. But I can tell you when I jumped from my first job that was $8 an hour to one that was $14, I didn't give them anything. I left that job on a Friday and started the new one the following Monday.
    You're aware that labour contracts almost always have termination and resignation clauses and don't require people to wait for the contract to expire, right?

Americans are freer to be exploited, and that's about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Why, because you can't understand the nuance? I can't help it if it means 50 things, you will just need to figure out which one I was referring to
    No, because it's incredibly contemptuous in all its non-facetious contexts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    They should go to their union over this
    Tennessee is a right-to-work state. No such thing as unions there. They fucked themselves by telling the bosses why they wouldnt be at work. It's none of the employers fucking business why you wont be at work. Why wont i be at work? ''CAUSE IM NOT FUCKING COMING IN, THAT'S WHY"