Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Mythic+ Protection Questions

Hi,

i'm running around as prot warr for mythic+ content and have a few questions about gearing, legendaries and talent choices. I do not raid except a friday night NH normal casual run to gather some pieces. Therefore i do not have access to high end items and i have to be lucky with rng.

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...il/Khor/simple

1) What is the best talent setup for higher m+ content? Yesterday, i've done +9 Vault (one chest only) which was not so easy, since the trash stacks the necrotic debuff incredibly fast. I try to avoid as much as i can (e.g. leaping back, thunderclap slow, kiting, intervene etc.). It's doable but i feel a bit useless running around instead of contribute a bit of dps to get the trash down.

2) Which legendaries you are currently using for m+? I have only the bracers, so i have to pray to rng gods getting more of them.

3) Is 30% haste desirable or trying to stack more mastery / versatility?

4) At my level, which m+ level is realistic? Most people tend to have overgeared peeps.

Thanks

Thyr
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

7+ Year Old Account
    1) talents: 1/2/2/3/1/1/2
    -you were right choosing somethings like sw, heavy repercussions but devastator is very strong right now and you still want to be weaving revenge/IP
    2) I have the boots and hast ring, boots are a great stat stick and the ring is awesome for the haste proc/speed boost...although legendaries aren't SUPER important for prot
    3/4) haste is still what you want and 30% is what we shoot for, your gear is itemized better than mine was at your ilvl and I could do +9 at the time so you should be fine

-changing up your talents will definitely help, but honestly it depends what you're trying to do, you probably won't be able to 3 chest a +9 but you should definitely be able to complete it. I do recall trying a +11 HoV at your ilvl and just getting one-shotted but that could just be me. Necrotic is just a hard affix so wouldn't worry about it too much.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

1) Im using 1/2/1/2/1/1/2 Basically I think that impending victory is too weak to count on. Devastate is also, according to me, better for surv than indom. With your bracers you should prolly top the healing meters at 250k+ hps. I've never done higher than lvl 14 but it was tyrannical at it was not a problem surviving tbh.

Necrotic is all about group synergy. Coordinate stuns and slows etc. I usually run with Rshaman/FDK/Fwarr + random. This is far from the best setup but we play really great together and that is usually more important. Rshamans SLT is pretty OP for necrotic aswell.

2) Like I said, bracers are great! Prolly 2nd BiS right after hands. I have the SW ring and it got a "buff" with devastator but its not that great.

3) I got a new 880 neck with vers/mastery that took me down to 22% haste, was at 26% before, and I can really feel the difference. 30% haste is pretty high imo but 25%+ is desirable.

4) We are pretty much equal in gear (im 882 eq) but running with different talents. I have no prob what so ever to +2/+3 a lvl 9-12 mythic. At 13+, 14 MoS is the highest i've done, it gets pretty hard. The healer and dps im running with are 885/887 and 889 (Rshaman) and they pull great numbers on bosses and trash. Don't know if you have a grp you run with or if you only pug using LFG but I would advice you to find people that want to progress at your current lvl. If im using the pug tool I avoid 10+ simply because you don't have that kind of coordination within that grp.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    Hi,

i'm running around as prot warr for mythic+ content and have a few questions about gearing, legendaries and talent choices. I do not raid except a friday night NH normal casual run to gather some pieces. Therefore i do not have access to high end items and i have to be lucky with rng.

Armory:

1) What is the best talent setup for higher m+ content? Yesterday, i've done +9 Vault (one chest only) which was not so easy, since the trash stacks the necrotic debuff incredibly fast. I try to avoid as much as i can (e.g. leaping back, thunderclap slow, kiting, intervene etc.). It's doable but i feel a bit useless running around instead of contribute a bit of dps to get the trash down.

2) Which legendaries you are currently using for m+? I have only the bracers, so i have to pray to rng gods getting more of them.

3) Is 30% haste desirable or trying to stack more mastery / versatility?

4) At my level, which m+ level is realistic? Most people tend to have overgeared peeps.

Thanks

Thyr
    Good Morning Thyr,
    I have some extensive Mythic+ experience in Prot ( around 700 completed on time runs ) I'll do my best to answer your questions however, for the real finite details of the spec I would recommend the warrior discord.

1)
    What is the best talent setup for higher m+ content? Yesterday, i've done +9 Vault (one chest only) which was not so easy, since the trash stacks the necrotic debuff incredibly fast. I try to avoid as much as i can (e.g. leaping back, thunderclap slow, kiting, intervene etc.). It's doable but i feel a bit useless running around instead of contribute a bit of dps to get the trash down.
    This is a bit tricky and will rely heavily on a few things, play-style, legendary's and mods for the week I would say as you progress in gear mods become less relevant. For personal preference for > 12+ I use the following:

Shockwave ( assuming you don't have alot of stun DR in your group, Warbringer is a great alternative however it eats up intervene charges and can be harder for new players to learn the range limits of the stun.)

Impending Victory - a substantial heal in mythic+ (Inspiring Presence can be good on high tyranical bosses that put out alot of pressure i.e. last boss in CoS) however overall IV is my go to talent for mythic+ only.

Avatar should be your choice if you're looking to add alot of "On demand burst" to trash packs and mobs, the other choices in this tier are Renewed Fury and Best Served Cold both solid choices if your looking to limit the amount of thinking/planning you need to do as you learn the spec. However if you can get your hands on lets say a Horn of Valor ( trinket from HoV) I would stick with Avatar as it lines up nicely with BM.

Bounding Stride would be my go-to choice here, especially if you get the shoulders, Crackling Thunder after its AoE reduction nerf is just lackluster.

Devastator should be your go-to choice Indomitable is horrible for mythic+

Vengeance, Booming Voice this will be personal preference / access to legendary's as stated above you said you had bracers so I tend to lean towards using vengeance on this one, there is a lot of discussion surrounding Dev/Veng talent combo. In simple terms if executed correctly it will equate to a lot of extra rage, extra rage spent will mean more healing from your bracers. ( I would check out this guide from the warrior forms for the WA/correct Dev usage it's very good )
    Anger Management - 100% always.(mythic+)

2)
    Which legendaries you are currently using for m+? I have only the bracers, so i have to pray to rng gods getting more of them.
    In order of "Best" I would rank Gloves, Belt and trinket in simple terms:
    Gloves=more rage i.e. more revenge/IP uptime
    Belt=Synergizes well with AM/BV
    Trinket=both great offensive and defensive uses

3)
    Is 30% haste desirable or trying to stack more mastery / versatility?
    I would agree with the 30% it smooths everything else out, keeps good up-time on SB, however for mythic+ I would lean towards a Haste/Mast build as you will get relatively little use out of stacking Vers the majority of the damage encountered is trash i.e. Melee hits.

There is no good answer for this, it comes down to knowing each mythic+ the pulls required, routes and how to deal with certain mechanics. What keys are bad with what mods. I would say anything >10 is a good way to learn, grab an addon like Angry keys, learn the mob/pull count required find what works best for you then prepare for 12-15's use them to gauge what your group can handle. Ask your self each week do we have the CC/DPS to do 17+ Fort imps from CoS? Can my group react to swarm/defensive's phase of the last boss in BRH in tyrannical +16 week?
    Last edited by Jazko; 2017-02-14 at 02:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazko View Post
    Impending Victory - a substantial heal in mythic+ (Inspiring Presence can be good on high tyranical bosses that put out alot of pressure i.e. last boss in CoS) however overall IV is my go to talent for mythic+ only.
    Totally agree on this, Impending Victory is an extremely good life saver at times and that on a 30 Sec timer with good reset chances against trash.
    Inspiring presence is more of a Raid talent in my eyes.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    Totally agree on this, Impending Victory is an extremely good life saver at times and that on a 30 Sec timer with good reset chances against trash.
    Inspiring presence is more of a Raid talent in my eyes.
    Disagree. It costs rage, it costs a gcd and the heal is far from substential. You have access to Victory rush, if you feel like you have many last hits in trash groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    That is just how Necrotic is played, if you dont move and kite, and just take it, you may die, but even if you do not die, you will still have a high refreshed amount of Necrotic, which just slows you down. You want to time it, so that when the last mob in a pack dies, you have 1-3 seconds left on your debuff.

Dont worry about the rest of the grp, they know how it works. Nobody from +5 necrotic to +16 necrotic has ever told me to hurry up or move, people get it.

As for your gear, you mostly need better trinkets. Im pretty sure you can get into a EN hc pug, and just roll on Xavius.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    Disagree. It costs rage, it costs a gcd and the heal is far from substential. You have access to Victory rush, if you feel like you have many last hits in trash groups.
    15% would be around 660k in his case for only 10 Rage. Ignore Pain for example would give you a lot less HP for the same amount of rage. If you have last stand active it scales up as well and would give around 1M in that scenario.

I'm not saying your wrong the GCD may prevent a problem (rarely) , but the 10 rage is very minor with the way devastator is currently. Also I don't find with the majority of groups i'm in that last hitting is not very reliable, I would rather have the 15% (30% with last stand ) for on demand healing. You also still get free procs ( that remove the CD, and cost no rage ) when you land a last hit.

Deleted
    I use safeguard in mythic +. A 30% dmg reduction on party members on that short of a cooldown can be ridiculously strong. I feel like victory rush procs enough without the talent.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    "Costs rage" = 10 rage. Woo.

"Costs a GCD" = Dont think of it as a GCD, think of it as a Revenge that heals.

"Heal is far from substantial" = It's a self heal, which we don't have otherwise. It may not be the best, but something > nothing.

Also, our other choices--Inspiring Presence and Safeguard--are raid talents. The only damage that non-tanks should take in mythic+'s is expected damage: boss abilities, cat/dog leaps, known and expected mechanics. That's why we have healers, to cover that damage. Safeguard is great preventative talent for raids (e.g. main tank is going to take a massive hit --> Safeguard), but far too situational for mythic+'s. There are a couple instances where IP would be better than IV--second and third bosses in CoS, lantern guys in Maw--but, again, situational. Also, IP is great when you can heal 10-15, not so great when you are only healing 3 and not yourself.

The proc-on-killing-blow mechanic rarely happens, which is another to take the talent.

I might be a minority here, but I would suggest you going with Indomitable instead of Devastator. At least trying it for yourself.

The reason is sucky healers if you're doing random pugs. Extra 1-1.5mil hp makes A LOT of difference when dps in your party getting all the extra damage from encounters or healer doing poorly in general.
    Yes, I'm perfectly aware that you will be doing much more damage and absorb/heal more, but that extra effective hp cushion provided by indomitable is not to be underestimated.

I'm doing most my 15+ runs with Indomitable (with Vengeance+HR) and feel much more safer like that. With static group that knows my tempo and I know their I would go Devastator, but not in pugs.

And I certainly disagree with people being very tunnel visioned calling Indomitable "horrible for m+".
    Last edited by ReD-EyeD; 2017-02-18 at 01:23 PM.

Booming Voice + Anger Management combo is incredible for Mythic + and will help with damage output, which is supremely important. Since I switched there is no turning back to HR/Vengeance. Try it. As for Devastator that's a no brainer, Indom is lacking massively in damage and rage generation.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Booming Voice + Anger Management combo is incredible for Mythic + and will help with damage output, which is supremely important. Since I switched there is no turning back to HR/Vengeance. Try it. As for Devastator that's a no brainer, Indom is lacking massively in damage and rage generation.
    hmmmmm so THATS the other spec i've heard of people running...booming voice sounds pretty nice, but really you don't feel like you're missing HR?

Also seems like IP costs soooooooooooo much rage without vegeance
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Deleted
    Is devastator preferred for high M+? Isnt the extra HP useful for affixes like tyrannical?

10+ Year Old Account
    Booming voice is fun if you have the belt to reduce the cool down. In that case you can macro it together with battlecry.
    I use it mostly in the lower mythics to get things done a lot quicker.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    Booming voice is fun if you have the belt to reduce the cool down. In that case you can macro it together with battlecry.
    I use it mostly in the lower mythics to get things done a lot quicker.
    Ill second this, up to ~10. After that, Vengeance all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

I dunno I'm a slacker dps Warrior which means I haven't even levelled my Prot weapon, last time I did a load I was tanking 15-16s with a 32 weapon using Booming + AM and survival was not an issue at all. Imo it's better than Vengeance even for the higher ones, regardless of legendaries (I use neck/boots).

The higher up you go the more you rely on dps anyway, I can't comment on the real high ones like 20+ but below that you really don't need Vengeance. Because you have Demo coming back up constantly you always have that 60 rage chunk coming in to use on whatever you need, which then feeds into anger management synergy, and the damage bonus contribution is considerable.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-02-19 at 06:43 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Heal may be substantial but it's the best talent out of the three, inspiring presence may show you some numbers if you hit total for the entire dungeon, otherwise not really and it's barely going to save anyone whereas Impending may save your life.

In any case my setup is like most describe, devastator, booming voice or vengeance (really depends on M+ level and affix, generally anything below 14/15 is booming). I always take anger management over heavy repercussions these days due to trash, if I could change my talent on bosses then it would be HR for those only. I have run countless of runs without a healer as well, it depends on the affix, but if you have the bracers it's quite easy to do up to 14-15~ (again, depends on the affixes and dungeon).
    Last edited by mmoc41eb0b352e; 2017-02-19 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfever View Post
    Is devastator preferred for high M+? Isnt the extra HP useful for affixes like tyrannical?
    devastator always, even with less HP the wall in progress will be dps dying for one shot mechanics in boss, not the tank (if he isnot doing something wrong like not saving an active mitigation for an specific atack).