Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    So.... if he orders the military and the intelligence agencies to start committing crimes against humanity on the American people, you want them to obey like obedient little drones? The concept of people in these positions operating both within the law and following their conscience is something that most rational people would consider a good thing.
    I'm glad that you specified "on the American people", since Obama spent the last 8 years blowing up little brown kids with toy airplanes in far flung places and nobody in the West seemed too torn up about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    I'm glad that you specified "on the American people", since Obama spent the last 8 years blowing up little brown kids with robots in far flung places and nobody in the West seemed too torn up about it.
    While I'm not going to deny how shitty it is from a humanitarian perspective, putting that purely on Obama seems pretty silly, considering that western civilization has been killing off its enemies for as long as it has existed. Drones are merely one of the latest tools in a long list of technological advances designed to outpace their opponents. India didn't fall to Britain because the British were smarter or more numerous; they just had long range ship mounted batteries capable of wiping out any infrastructure they laid their eyes on. If a village didn't agree to bow to the crown, they weren't let go or even able to fight in actual combat; they had grape shot blasted through everything that moved so the next village would get the message. Global democracy is built on little humanitarian inconveniences like that.

According to CNN and Buzzfeed you're a whacko conspiracy nut if you believe in the Deep State.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    While I'm not going to deny how shitty it is from a humanitarian perspective, putting that purely on Obama seems pretty silly,
    Putting it "on" him? Damn dude, I'm just giving props to the Michael Jordan of international terrorism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

“I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Everyone in the FBI, CIA and NSA swears this oath, every US citizen is a big fan of the Constitution. It might not mean anything to you but it means a lot to a lot of people. All it would take to shut down the Deep State is one fan of the Constitution.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    “I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Everyone in the FBI, CIA and NSA swears this oath, every US citizen is a big fan of the Constitution.
    That would, it's worth noting, be the same Constitution under which all those executive branch employees' sole claim of legitimacy as agents of government come from the fact that they work for the Chief Executive described in Article II of said Constitution. The thing I find most... well, it's just lunacy, is what it is... this notion that employees of the executive branch are a legitimate constitutional check on the authority of the executive branch. That's just sheer idiocy yet I see it flooding facebook, twitter, forums, etc, as the new nobility. It's a posture that violates that oath, not fulfills it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do I get the feeling this thread exists because Skroe used the term 'deep state'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    That would, it's worth noting, be the same Constitution under which all those executive branch employees' sole claim of legitimacy as agents of government come from the fact that they work for the Chief Executive described in Article II of said Constitution. The thing I find most... well, it's just lunacy, is what it is... this notion that employees of the executive branch are a legitimate constitutional check on the authority of the executive branch. That's just sheer idiocy yet I see it flooding facebook, twitter, forums, etc, as the new nobility. It's a posture that violates that oath, not fulfills it.
    Their oath is to the office of President, not the person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    If he breaks the law he should be impeached. Do it through the damned legal channels instead of pissing on the very fabric of America's constitution. Because that's what a coup would do.

Even Nancy Pelosi has said publicly that he's done nothing that's impeachable.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

where was all this concern about leaks and governemtn factions during the election?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    If he breaks the law he should be impeached. Do it through the damned legal channels instead of pissing on the very fabric of America's constitution. Because that's what a coup would do.

Even Nancy Pelosi has said publicly that he's done nothing that's impeachable.
    People care what Nancy Pelosi thinks, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Everyone in the FBI, CIA and NSA swears this oath, every US citizen is a big fan of the Constitution. It might not mean anything to you but it means a lot to a lot of people. All it would take to shut down the Deep State is one fan of the Constitution.
    Are they defending the constitution or the interests of the Military Industrial Complex?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I'm ok with a permanent state shitting on the elected president. There is a limit to the power of the presidency and this agencies ensure that is the case.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I'm ok with a permanent state shitting on the elected president. There is a limit to the power of the presidency and this agencies ensure that is the case.
    I thought the limit was the Congress and the Courts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I thought the limit was the Congress and the Courts.
    Congress is controled by a party that just seems to roll with Trump's bs in hopes of political favors in order to push their desire agenda. E.G Paul Ryan has been quite, because he wants Trump's support on his border tax adjustment plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Why do I get the feeling this thread exists because Skroe used the term 'deep state'.

- - - Updated - - -

Their oath is to the office of President, not the person.
    The oath isn't to either; it's to the Constitution. The Constitution vests the executive power in the President of the United States. Every employee of the executive branch, generally speaking, is an employee of that executive. Their entire claim of legal authority derives from that employment. They have no standing, whatsoever, to treat their employment there as a platform from which they can try to thwart, countermand, or undermine the policy making objective of the executive, because it's the executive that was put there to set policy.

The constitutional checks on the power of the President are A) the legislature, and B) the judiciary. The political checks on the power of the President are "elections". The executive employees, if they don't like the President or the President's policy goals can... y'know, quit. They can report illegal activity they perceive to the FBI or to the IG of their agency. What they can't do is squat in their civil service position and try to govern contrary to the policy of the actual elected political offices of the United States. That, again, is a violation of their oath, not a fulfillment.

Friendly reminder that Glenn Greenwalf hates America and its generally good policy to do the exact opposite of what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    There is nothing inherently wrong with taking down democracy. There is not some golden rule written down in the core of the universe that has declared democracy as the ultimate achievement of mankind's governance.
    Nothing inherently wrong...no.
    But here in the US...law and order would disappear for a long while and either martial law would be declared or anarchy would be the rule for a time. Neither of which is any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    According to CNN and Buzzfeed you're a whacko conspiracy nut if you believe in the Deep State.
    Except I've seen both (I think) report on how the CIA is reluctant to give certain information to the White House now. Isn't that a "deep state" move?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Except I've seen both (I think) report on how the CIA is reluctant to give certain information to the White House now. Isn't that a "deep state" move?
    Sounds more like common sense. Trump hasn't been very trustworthy as it pertains to state secrets.