Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You look at the title and think that something good happened to actually get people to drink it less like maybe education or an increase in wages but nope.

Step 1: Healthy stuff is too expensive so people buy junk they can afford instead unless they want to take time (and in many cases cooking skills) they don't have preparing from scratch.

Step 2: Instead of making the healthy stuff cheaper so people can buy what they want instead of what they can afford, they instead make the junk food more expensive making sure the people have even less spending money...

Step 3: Profit for everyone but the consumers.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Very few drinks are sweetened with sugar. Most use High Fructose Corn Syrup.

In the US that is. Most other countries use real sugar.
    They both turn into sugar in the body, so, same thing... I mostly mean this really shouldn't apply to non carbohydrate sweeteners.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Good? Soda, particularly darker, sugary syrup-laden sodas are terribly bad for people.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    People become fatties because they don't exercise, not because they drink sodas.
    Sodas definitely are a factor. They're pure sugar (or even worse stuff). Sure, drinking a Coke once per week won't harm you, but exercise can only go so far if you chug down one per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    They both turn into sugar in the body, so, same thing... I mostly mean this really shouldn't apply to non carbohydrate sweeteners.
    Kind of... "sugar" is sucrose, which is a combination of glucose and fructose. HFCS is still glucose and fructose, with some of the glucose being converted to fructose.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    People become fatties because they don't exercise, not because they drink sodas.
    That's really not true at all, weight loss is mostly diet, not exercise.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Sodas definitely are a factor. They're pure sugar (or even worse stuff). Sure, drinking a Coke once per week won't harm you, but exercise can only go so far if you chug down one per day.
    Except many of the other options are actually equal or worse for you despite being marketed as better or have such a high price point/mark up that they're more out of reach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    Good? Soda, particularly darker, sugary syrup-laden sodas are terribly bad for people.
    Why is darker worse? The main ingredients for all sodas are carbonated water and sugar (in some form). Same for juice, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Why is darker worse? The main ingredients for all sodas are carbonated water and sugar (in some form). Same for juice, for that matter.
    The darker sodas tend to be higher in sugar and syrup. They're still not as bad as your average grocery store grape juice that costs $2 more for less.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    The darker sodas tend to be higher in sugar and syrup. They're still not as bad as your average grocery store grape juice that costs $2 more for less.
    Not by much if I look at the nutrition label. The difference might be 40 calories, at most, per bottle. Actually, I'm going to the grocery store in a minute. I'll check.

Not by much if I look at the nutrition label. The difference might be 40 calories, at most, per bottle. Actually, I'm going to the grocery store in a minute. I'll check.
    It's not an enormous amount, no. It's worse by definition, but not grossly worse.

It's not an enormous amount, no. It's worse by definition, but not grossly worse.
    I'm back! Grocery store is two blocks away...

All Coke sodas: 140 calories. Pepsi varied: 170 for Dew, 160 for Pepsi. 7-Up 120. Juices ranged from 110 to 170 (only counting ones labeled 100% juice.) All for the same serving size (12 fl. oz.)

The calorie difference in five cans of 7-up versus Coke amounts to adding a slice of cheese to a burger, fwiw.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2017-02-19 at 03:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My primary concern would be where the line is drawn. Everything is made with sugar now a days.
    No, everything is made with HFCS now a days. If it was just straight sugar, the problem wouldn't be as bad.

We put fucking corn in almost everything now. It's ridiculous. We even feed it to cows, you can't even process the shit properly. There isn't much nutrition to be had from corn, but apparently putting syrup made from it in everything is a-ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Except many of the other options are actually equal or worse for you despite being marketed as better or have such a high price point/mark up that they're more out of reach.
    Water's not more expensive than soda (where I live at least). I agree that juice is no better.

They'd just pass the cost on to the consumer anyway.
    Then it would be their fault for rising the price.

The reason they don't? Because they want the public to hate the law. And if they were the ones paying it, no one would give two shits.

Boo hoo. I feel so bad that these companies are losing money over it AND losing face at the same time. Sob sob sob. Broken heart, I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Pretty much this.

My grandparents used to make a trip a month for an hour or so and stock up on soda across the state line.

And that was only to dodge the nickel deposit. If you're talking about doubling the price for a tax you'll never get reimbursed for, that's even more incentive to stock up for the season all at once as they're non-perishable anyways.
    Yup, unless you're poor and can't reasonably get out of the city. Taxes on cheap foods hit low-income households very hard, as has been pointed out to and ignored by modern lifestyle police for a while now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

*shrugs*
    Can always fill up a jug with water at the tap...

Deleted
    While this certainly won't be enough to stop the ongoing Obesity-Epidemic (Check my Sig for reference and actual hard data), it is at least something.

Personally, I don't even get the appeal of Soda anyway. Have always just drank tap water and sometimes black coffee. We have such high quality water available for cents per gallon.

If this had been caused by people just not wanting to drink the crap, that'd be great. Soda is awful.

That being said, the moral busybodying isn't something anyone should celebrate. Something like this is a dangerous precedent, because god knows how long it'll take for this to hit products other than soda. The law has no place in moral/health taxing foods based on how healthy they are. Unless you simply want food prices to rise you should really not be in support of this.

Best water is this one

Ice berg Water $150 $US a bottle

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/8946...r-138-a-bottle