Thread: stormblood

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    So the last few pages summed up: "I don't like Final Fantasy games. Make FFXIV less like them." No thanks, dude. If you don't like Final Fantasy games, it's ok not to play. Mechanically it's not all that different from most games out on the MMO market now.

So! Back on topic for Stormblood. Who else is hyped for Red Mage, Samurai, Ala Mhigo, and Doma?
    Pretty much this. If you don't like FF14 the way it is then I just don't think it's the game for you. Main series FF games have always been story heavy. 14 and 11 while being MMOs are still part of the main franchise. Also RED MAGE DAPPER RAPIER!

I'm mostly hyped for Proto Ultima next week though. I imagine it's the Heavensward equivalent of the Odin trial.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-20 at 12:39 AM.

But will it have ultima tier music?

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    But will it have ultima tier music?
    Well I hope they don't reuse the Ultima music. Was annoyed that they reused the 3.4 dungeon music and Lost City music for Diabolos.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Appeals to Tradition are weak arguments.

But just to unpack it further, let's say you're right that Final Fantasy games are based around their central story. What about Final Fantasy Explorers? What about All the Bravest? What about Final Fantasy Legends, or Record Keeper or even Chocobo's Crystal Tower. Even Dissidia is based more around it's gameplay than it's story, and lets not even get started on the Theatrhythm series.

Clearly the assertion that Final Fantasies are Story Based games is a fallacy - There are plenty of Final Fantasy games where it isn't the case. This is why it's a weak argument, it's shockingly easy to disprove.
    Breaking news: spin offs are not mainline numbered games, more on this shocking story as it develops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Pretty much this. If you don't like FF14 the way it is then I just don't think it's the game for you. Main series FF games have always been story heavy. Also RED MAGE DAPPER RAPIER!

I'm mostly hyped for Proto Ultima next week though. I imagine it's the Heavensward equivalent of the Odin trial.
    I'm curious about the Ivalice raid. Is it part of the MSQ or will I have to find a group in the Party Finder? 'Cause I am all about anything associated with Ivalice. Hoping against hope but I hope Agrias's outfit is the Gladiator set. Or Ramza's chapter 2/3.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I'm curious about the Ivalice raid. Is it part of the MSQ or will I have to find a group in the Party Finder? 'Cause I am all about anything associated with Ivalice. Hoping against hope but I hope Agrias's outfit is the Gladiator set. Or Ramza's chapter 2/3.
    Ivalice is the 24 man so it'll be side quest. You should be able to just queue for it like the other 24 mans. All I'm hoping for is a Yiazmat or Hell Wyrm fight. Maybe Vayne or his Undying form as well.

Well I hope they don't reuse the Ultima music. Was annoyed that they reused the 3.4 dungeon music and Lost City music for Diabolos.
    Isn't that just a stand out because thats Diablos theme?

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Isn't that just a stand out because thats Diablos theme?
    Well yeah but I can't say I was overjoyed hearing it again in Dun Scaith. Was hoping for something original this time around. Yeah I know it's his theme but well I was just hoping for something new at the end of it all personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ivalice is the 24 man so it'll be side quest. You should be able to just queue for it like the other 24 mans.
    Right on. Also, back to RM, yes. Dapper hat and rapier. And I'm so happy they're keeping with the 'jack of all trades' motif with range/melee hybrid attacks, and black/white magic. Now if they surprise-announce Dancer as patch content as a Dex-based, buff-debuff tank sister class to Monk, I'll lose my mind picking a main class (and in joy).

10+ Year Old Account
    I cannot contain the Hype, it is unreal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Right on. Also, back to RM, yes. Dapper hat and rapier. And I'm so happy they're keeping with the 'jack of all trades' motif with range/melee hybrid attacks, and black/white magic. Now if they surprise-announce Dancer as patch content as a Dex-based, buff-debuff tank sister class to Monk, I'll lose my mind picking a main class (and in joy).
    They won't do patch classes again. Ninja was a friggin nightmare and we ended up with it being too OP in Turn 10 and 11. And it won't be a healer because Astrologian had balance issues from the start. As for tanks they really need to sort out Paladin before adding another.

The thing about Red Mage is it won't be anything like it was in 11. It will be a jack of all trades but not in the way 11 was.

10+ Year Old Account
    They won't do patch classes again. Ninja was a friggin nightmare. And it won't be a healer because Astrologian had balance issues from the start. As for tanks they really need to sort out Paladin before adding another.
    I can't see Dancer as a healer, anyway. Especially if the female monk from the trailer is what people are drawing inspiration off of, it'd work best as a dodgy tank that buffs allies and debuffs enemies, or a buff-debuff-focused melee DPS job. Also, any word on what the 'combat updates' will involve beyond streamlining the cross-class system to per-role skils?

I can't see Dancer as a healer, anyway. Especially if the female monk from the trailer is what people are drawing inspiration off of, it'd work best as a dodgy tank that buffs allies and debuffs enemies, or a buff-debuff-focused melee DPS job. Also, any word on what the 'combat updates' will involve beyond streamlining the cross-class system to per-role skils?
    Honestly I've been paying as little attention as I can to combat and battle updates. I want to see it as fresh as I can since I'll be starting with a brand new job.

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    All the games you mentioned are not mainline final fantasy games. That is the big difference.
    But they are Final Fantasy games and they are not story based ones. Ergo Final Fantasy games are not exclusively story based games which is why it's a poor argument.

I'm still yet to see anyone propose a good reason why they think MSQ should be required. There are posters in this thread with reasons why it's detremental, but no one putting forwards reasons why it's beneficial.
    Last edited by StrawberryZebra; 2017-02-20 at 01:00 AM.

But they are Final Fantasy games and they are not story based ones. Ergo Final Fantasy games are not exclusively story based games which is why it's a poor argument.

I'm still yet to see anyone propose a good reason why they feel think MSQ should be required. There are posters in this thread with reasons why it's detremental, but no one putting forwards reasons why it's beneficial.
    But it's not a poor argument. FF14 is a main series game. All the main series games are story focused. Comparing 14 to something like Record Keeper is stupid. End of the day the story is the story. I don't care if they introduce a jumping potion to skip it at the end of the day it's other peoples money not mine but it will always be a pivotal part of FF14. If they choose not to bring the potion in then fair enough. I see no issue with the MSQ being a requirement to progress.

Every main series FF game is heavily story focused. Even 11 was and that was an MMO and people had no issues with that. Why we are bringing games like Record Keeper, All the Bravest and Theatrhythm into this is beyond me. They aren't main series. FF1-15 is main series. You want something to compare it to then compare it to those games. Not games that were not intended to be part of the main series nor have a focus on the story to begin with.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-20 at 01:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm still yet to see anyone propose a good reason why they think MSQ should be required. There are posters in this thread with reasons why it's detremental, but no one putting forwards reasons why it's beneficial.
    Ok it weeds out people who lack patience abd may try to change the game in a negative way

It adds more content then alot of other mmo's get

It helps build the world in a very good and natural way

They should just make a new server type, where there's no story or anything even remotely like it, you start at max level, and you have best in slot gear for all jobs. And give that server type it's own duty/party finder separate from everyone else. I'd honestly be curious how large or small the long term population on that server type would be.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Ok it weeds out people who lack patience abd may try to change the game in a negative way

It adds more content then alot of other mmo's get

It helps build the world in a very good and natural way
    Also hits you right in the feels at certain parts. Cough "VAULT" Cough

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    They should just make a new server type, where there's no story or anything even remotely like it, you start at max level, and you have best in slot gear for all jobs. And give that server type it's own duty/party finder separate from everyone else. I'd honestly be curious how large or small the long term population on that server type would be.
    Honestly this isn't such a bad idea apart from the max level thing. However I don't agree with the separate DF/PF. The whole point of cross server PF is to bring the servers together without breaking server community. I imagine people would play on it but not giving them the same PF/DF would be more of a killing factor than allowing them to skip the story in my opinion.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-02-20 at 01:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

It weeds out the gogogo players that make dungeons and raids a miserable, antisocial experience. There.

1: What do you think the 14 in FF14 is for?
    2: If it was massively detrimental none of us would have played through it and the devs wouldn't have kept up with it for 3 years and counting.

Just because a few people hate something that is the primary focus of the game does not make it a problem for the majority.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    Honestly it would probably die fast. Without the epeen gear treadmill and the "its not important that i do well, but that other people know i'm better than them" players of that mindset would probably get bored very fast and quit. Its all about the skinnerbox and you take away the endorphin release trigger of tiny, incremental carrot on a stick upgrades then the thing they scream and holler for becomes utterly redundant to them most of the time.

Shit just look at WoW, pre transmog there was absolutely no life in the old pre current endgame content at all. Every single raid was a redundant ghost town bar the few at the time that had a boss that dropped a mount.