The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Computer turns of without warning

Hi guys

since yesterday i am having issues with my computer randomly turning off and i dont know what the problem seems to be but i think its either my power supply or my gpu that is giving me issues .

My current specs are

psu: thermaltake toughpower 750w
    mb asus maximus v gene
    gpu: asus gtx 1070 turbo
    cpu : i5 3570K

i will also include a screenshot of the cpuid HW monitor log for my gpu temp:
    http://imgur.com/a/rfmSE

help would be much appreciated !
    Last edited by chrykoolaid; 2017-02-17 at 09:25 AM.

Checked event viewer for any errors just before the "Pc has shutdown unexpectedly" error?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Checked event viewer for any errors just before the "Pc has shutdown unexpectedly" error?
    I haven't , I can check after i finish work

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrykoolaid View Post
    Hi guys

since yesterday i am having issues with my computer randomly turning off and i dont know what the problem seems to be but i think its either my power supply or my gpu that is giving me issues .

My current specs are

psu: thermaltake toughpower 750w
    mb asus maximus v gene
    gpu: asus gtx 1070 turbo
    cpu : i5 3570K

i will also include a screenshot of the cpuid HW monitor log for my gpu temp:
    http://imgur.com/a/rfmSE

help would be much appreciated !
    Are we referring to a reboot or flat turning off?

Reboot is associated more often with PSU where turning off is associated with CPU/Chipset thermal protection kicking in.

Turning off is also possible with PSU but it's rare due to the fact that it would mean it trips on load and generally the biggest load is the inrush current you get from turning the PC on and therefore normally should turn off there if that's the case... hence why it's rare.. not impossible but rare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    As Myth mentioned, event viewer should give some information. That said, I used to have an issue where my PC would shut off without warning and the only event each time simply stated that the power had shut off unexpectedly.

If I recall, it turned out that my GPU was overclocked too far. Since I was running a 1200W PSU, I didn't expect it to be a power problem, but since I was running 3 overclocked GTX580's, that turned out to be the main culprit. It still happened a little after that but not as frequently. Disabling EIST and C1E support in BIOS seemed to alleviate it completely.
    If you had issues with EIST and C1E support it generally isn't to do with your PSU but moreso your motherboard degrading or poor quality (possibly a lemon).
    I see this happen a lot with GigaByte boards from the Sandy/Ivy Bridge era where the motherboards degrade over time and simply cannot keep up with frequency switching (ICs for this simply start to fail).
    This can be exacerbated by a power supply which is degrading as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    First thing I would check is your memory. Give memtest a run and see if there are any errors. If so start isolating memory sticks to see which one it is.

If the memory checks out, make sure your CPU or Video Card aren't overheating. If not, next try replacing the power supply. If it's still having the problem then I'm out of ideas after that...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will give these suggestions a try and report later! Also to one of comments asking whether it's a flat shut off yes it's basically shutting off and it won't restart after awhile when I take out the power cable and put it back in

15+ Year Old Account
    I will give these suggestions a try and report later! Also to one of comments asking whether it's a flat shut off yes it's basically shutting off and it won't restart after awhile when I take out the power cable and put it back in
    When it powers off and you pull out the cable and put it back in do the mobo LEDs light up (power good LED most of the time is a green light)?
    If so it's likely thermal protection kicking in.

If not it's likely PSU shutting down for whatever reason.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    When it powers off and you pull out the cable and put it back in do the mobo LEDs light up (power good LED most of the time is a green light)?

There is a redish light showing up I can post a picture later

- - - Updated - - -

http://imgur.com/PVNkthz Is the link of the reddish light I was talking about
    Last edited by chrykoolaid; 2017-02-18 at 04:38 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is a redish light showing up I can post a picture later

http://imgur.com/PVNkthz Is the link of the reddish light I was talking about
    That's generally not an indicator but it'll do.

Use HWMonitor and keep an eye on your CPU/Chipset temperatures when trying to game.
    As well as you having a PSU y any chance you could borrow off of someone to test?

Deleted
    A friend of mine has been having this issue aswell and has replaced psu, memtests are clear and the gpu doesnt run hotter than 70. Can we fuck figure out the problem so just commenting here for to pinch any ideas

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    quick update, it looks like updating the bios firmware of my motherboard fixed the problem. computer running for 3 hours now with no shutdown

- - - Updated - - -

quick update, it looks like updating the bios firmware of my motherboard fixed the problem. computer running for 3 hours now with no shutdown
    Disregard ,problem seems to happen still

There are 3 things that will shut a computer off without a BSOD as mentioned before.

PSU, Motherboard, Thermal Protection.

Its either of those 3.

Get a PSU from a friend to make sure its not that, you already tested temps and its probably not that, leaves you one thing then, figure it out
    Last edited by potis; 2017-02-19 at 11:12 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    There are 3 things that will shut a computer off without a BSOD as mentioned before.

PSU, Motherboard, Thermal Protection.

Its either of those 3.

Get a PSU from a friend to make sure its not that, you already tested temps and its probably not that, leaves you one thing then, figure it out
    cpu temp seems to be alright which at around 30ish C

cpu temp seems to be alright which at around 30ish C
    As i said, you probably have a borked motherboard, or weird power settings on the motherboard and i know first hand, and as someone else mentioned P67 to Z77 series are all weird as hell.

Get a PSU from someone, test it and see if it still happens, its only the motherboard left after that.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    As i said, you probably have a borked motherboard, or weird power settings on the motherboard and i know first hand, and as someone else mentioned P67 to Z77 series are all weird as hell.

Get a PSU from someone, test it and see if it still happens, its only the motherboard left after that.
    i replaced my old power supply with anew one and i have no random shutdowns whatsoever anymore

i replaced my old power supply with anew one and i have no random shutdowns whatsoever anymore
    Glad that fixed the issue for you. For all the future readers: if you have a similar problem (sudden power loss that doesnt happen shortly after boot up, especially if the symptom comes up only under load) it's most likely a PSU issue. Sometimes this can indicate a faulty hub (especially if the symptom comes up when you try to use storage) or a problem with CPU power delivery, but in those cases you will most likely have other complement issues. GPU or memory issues usually generate BSODs or system event log messages
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Glad that fixed the issue for you. For all the future readers: if you have a similar problem (sudden power loss that doesnt happen shortly after boot up, especially if the symptom comes up only under load) it's most likely a PSU issue. Sometimes this can indicate a faulty hub (especially if the symptom comes up when you try to use storage) or a problem with CPU power delivery, but in those cases you will most likely have other complement issues. GPU or memory issues usually generate BSODs or system event log messages
    Had this problem too 2-3 times but then i cleaned my PSU and now all is fine, looked like a giant woolmouse had babys in my PSU.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually the most common of these problems like this are CPU/Mobo Thermal Protection kicking in.
    PSU is far less common.

I however have already explained this way up and making a sweeping statement that "It's most likely a PSU issue" is not a good statement to make unless you've eliminated the easier, and most importantly FREE, options that could be an issue.
    Telling someone it's "most likely the PSU" and having them spend money to replace it if you're not sure it's something else is irresponsible.

Put yourself in the customer's shoes before making a sweeping unconfirmed statement... would you be happy if I told you to replace something which turned out to be not the issue and you wasted money?

@chrykoolaid:
    I'm glad your issues got sorted.

Actually the most common of these problems like this are CPU/Mobo Thermal Protection kicking in.
    PSU is far less common.

I however have already explained this way up and making a sweeping statement that "It's most likely a PSU issue" is not a good statement to make unless you've eliminated the easier, and most importantly FREE, options that could be an issue.
    Telling someone it's "most likely the PSU" and having them spend money to replace it if you're not sure it's something else is irresponsible.

Put yourself in the customer's shoes before making a sweeping unconfirmed statement... would you be happy if I told you to replace something which turned out to be not the issue and you wasted money?
    Thermal protection kicking in would result in an event in a system log (when an overheating part starts throttling) and then a shutdown in a case of throttling being ineffective. Only cases where that doesnt happen are: 1) Instructions responsible for throttling disabled/throttling limit being set to Tjmax 2) Sensor issue (throttling will kick in when package temperature reaches a certain value, thermal protection will kick in when one of the cores reaches Tjmax) 3) Physical cooler failure/you forgot to put it on. All of those are pretty hard to be true unless done deliberately.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    Thermal protection kicking in would result in an event in a system log (when an overheating part starts throttling) and then a shutdown in a case of throttling being ineffective. Only cases where that doesnt happen are: 1) Instructions responsible for throttling disabled/throttling limit being set to Tjmax 2) Sensor issue (throttling will kick in when package temperature reaches a certain value, thermal protection will kick in when one of the cores reaches Tjmax) 3) Physical cooler failure/you forgot to put it on. All of those are pretty hard to be true unless done deliberately.
    Actually Thermal Protection will not result in ANY Windows Log events, only if you have specific software from that motherboard manufacturer installed.
    It will simply shut down without any notification if the temperatures also reach it very quickly vs. over time.

It is actually relatively common with the crappy Intel Stock coolers (P4 stock coolers especially) because of the pins they use .. they age quickly and become rather brittle and can snap without so much as breathing on it.
    Of course this is exacerbated with environment as well.

But if you reach set values, to say 100°C and you reach that within seconds the protection will kick in and shut off WITHOUT thermal throttling.
    If you reach that value over time, say over a few minutes, it will throttle first and then shut down.

Either which way no log events are generated because neither Windows nor Linux pay attention to this at all.
    Only specific software does and creates (POSSIBLY) a log in it's own software, not Windows' log.

If you were to put it on a scale of what is more common, the PSU dying or CPU overheating, the vast majority will be CPU overheating.
    This can be caused by a number of reasons where PSU dying is only 1, degradation.

Don't forget MOST people, including techies on this forum, do not maintain their PCs very well in f.ex. the dust cleaning department.
    Even though we stress upon it's importance it is a case of "Physician, heal thyself!" more often than not.
    Due to this there are plenty of snowball reasons for CPU overheating and thus have a result of shutting down.

You'd be surprised how sturdy a PSU is in general and, even though anecdotal, my personal experience having worked on literally thousands of computers in the past 2 decades I've seen many issues... including PSU failures.
    But compared to the rest of the possible issues a full blown PSU failure is quite rare.

You still always eliminate the easy and free possible issues first before moving on to something that will cost people money in general.