Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Consumables getting out of hand

Anyone else getting annoyed by the number of consumables required in raiding and mythic plus? Back then it was only flasks (2 hours) and food, now it's flasks food potions runes and vantus, costing gold is not the only issue, but whenever the boss doesnt die, you might get blamed for not eating this and that. Please Blizzard make it simple and allow a maximum of 2 buffs and be done with it.

isn't it interesting that this is happening at a time when you can use real life money to buy gold from Blizz? Possible connection? hmmmmmmmm?

Deleted
    Runes and Vantus? Where are you raiding? Midwinter?

I personally think the majority of people are using consumables incorrectly which is why there are even complaints about it costing too much. It could be the case that most consumables expire on death because they're not designed to be used in situations where death is likely, but rather for 'farm' or easy content, to speed things up a bit. The problem is most people use them instead to try to circumvent a lack of skill.

Deleted
    Expect even more or more expensive consumables in the future so people buy more gold, gotta drive those token sales.

I raided in vanilla nd bc, this is super easy for consumables.

7+ Year Old Account
    "Back then it was only flasks (2 hours) and food"
    Back then it was only flasks (2 hours) and food

lol a quick way to prove you never played "back then"

here is a list of consumeables you needed in vanilla to raid as a warlock

Buffs:

Scroll of Stamina IV *20 (depends on supply and AH price)

Scroll of Intellect IV *20 (depends on supply and AH price)

Rumsey Rum Black Label *20

Dirge's Kickin' Chimaerok Chops *20

Elixir of Shadow Power *20

Elixir of Greater Intellect *20

Flask of Supreme Power *3

Situational/Cooldown Potions:

Heavy Runecloth Bandage *100

Demonic Rune *20

Major Healing Potion *10

Major Mana Potion *20

Greater Fire Protection Potion (Amount depending on type of encounter, if needed for progression, at least 20)

Greater Nature Protection Potion (Amount depending on type of encounter, if needed for progression, at least 20, usually 30)

Magic Resistance Potion Not needed since twins anymore, for twins: take 10

Miscellaneous:

Iron Grenade *20

Field Repair Bot 74A

Soul Shard *28

Noggenfogger Elixir *40

Brilliant Wizard Oil *1 (5 charges)

btw "back in the day" flasks lasted 30 minutes, and were lost on death...

also vantus runes are very cheap, and most guilds dont ask you to use runes, only the hardcore do

btw there was NEVER EVER a time where there wasent potions, so even that is a 100% shit face lie...
    "there was just flasks and food, now there is flasks, food, POTS, runes, and vantus" there has allways been pots
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-02-20 at 04:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by qactuar View Post
    I personally think the majority of people are using consumables incorrectly which is why there are even complaints about it costing too much. It could be the case that most consumables expire on death because they're not designed to be used in situations where death is likely, but rather for 'farm' or easy content, to speed things up a bit. The problem is most people use them instead to try to circumvent a lack of skill.
    Have you ever raided even semi-seriously? Often your last 10-20 wipes are in the 1-5% range, where consumables can make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mstg View Post
    This was literally never the case.

Also, vantus runes are probably the cheapest of all consumables, considering you only need to buy one per week and it costs roughly 2-3 times as much as a flask.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    isn't it interesting that this is happening at a time when you can use real life money to buy gold from Blizz? Possible connection? hmmmmmmmm?
    then blizz must of been selling gold 20 times as much in vanilla, because you needed 20 times the consumables.

wait blizzard wasn't selling gold in vanilla? completely invalidating your point? oh ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mstg View Post
    Anyone else getting annoyed by the number of consumables required in raiding and mythic plus? Back then it was only flasks (2 hours) and food, now it's flasks food potions runes and vantus, costing gold is not the only issue, but whenever the boss doesnt die, you might get blamed for not eating this and that. Please Blizzard make it simple and allow a maximum of 2 buffs and be done with it.
    Not a problem with a game, but a problem with players. Consumables are fine

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    Have you ever raided even semi-seriously? Often your last 10-20 wipes are in the 1-5% range, where consumables can make the difference.
    Flasks and food (unless panda) give quite small difference. 1-5% range is where they are relevant. If boss kills raid above that threshold it's not problem with consumables. But runes and potions are completely different story
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Runes and Vantus? Where are you raiding? Midwinter?
    I don't think anyone is raiding in midwinter.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Not a problem with a game, but a problem with players. Consumables are fine

- - - Updated - - -

Flasks and food (unless panda) give quite small difference. 1-5% range is where they are relevant. If boss kills raid above that threshold it's not problem with consumables. But runes and potions are completely different story
    You have no idea if you think the 1-5% range is the only point where consumables are relevant. They are just as important for pushing phases before certain mechanics happen/overlap.

I'm very curious about when "back then" is exactly, where potions weren't a thing. I've only raided since WotLK so I know since then potions have been a thing and I'm almost certain prior to WotLk it was far worse because potions didn't have a one per combat limit so you were chugging them off CD during fights. During WotLK a few specs had optimal builds that required Elixirs(that expire on death) rather than Flasks(which I'm pretty sure have only ever been 2 hours for Alchemists), so relatively much easier now, at least for those specs.

Basically the only differences to the expansions from WotLK -> WoD (because obviously Vanilla/BC were way harder) are Vantus Runes and Augment Runes(I know they're from WoD). Vantus Runes are super easy, you only need one a week... Augment Runes are obviously much harder but even the world first guilds would only use them once they're closer to a kill. So if your complaint is basically that you HAVE to use Augment Runes or you can't raid mythic then you're as stupid as people complaining about having to be 54 traits in every offspec and four different characters(/s) just to join a mythic guild (your complaints are stupid and only retards will care what you have to say).
    Last edited by Lartok; 2017-02-20 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lartok View Post
    I'm very curious about when "back then" is exactly, where potions weren't a thing. I've only raided since WotLK so I know since then potions have been a thing and I'm almost certain prior to WotLk it was far worse because potions didn't have a one per combat limit so you were chugging them off CD during fights. During WotLK a few specs had optimal builds that required Elixirs(that expire on death) rather than Flasks(which I'm pretty sure have only ever been 2 hours for Alchemists), so relatively much easier now, at least for those specs.

Basically the only differences to the expansions from WotLK -> WoD (because obviously Vanilla/BC were way harder) are Vantus Runes and Augment Runes(I know they're from WoD). Vantus Runes are super easy, you only need one a week... Augment Runes are obviously much harder but even the world first guilds would only use them once they're closer to a kill. So if your complaint is basically that you HAVE to use Augment Runes or you can't raid mythic then you're as stupid as people complaining about having to be 54 traits in every offspec and four different characters(/s) just to join a mythic guild (your complaints are stupid and only retards will care what you have to say).
    you even had to chain mana potions as a hunter or you couldn't keep spamming arcane/multi/aimed shot all fight and we're left with auto shot. it was a 2 minute cooldown for a mana potion in TBC at least and i was using a mana potion at like 70% mana then every 2 minutes on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    *Snip*
    Tbh I didn't use about half of them in Vanilla.

Farm cata and pandaria raid(this one dont change much between 25h and 25 normal, so far i soloed all of them in 25h and you can do lfr for the raids of pandaria to get tokens of 50g, also you can sell pieces or use your gathering profession so you dont have to buy anything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    You have no idea if you think the 1-5% range is the only point where consumables are relevant. They are just as important for pushing phases before certain mechanics happen/overlap.
    My point is that it's very clear when lack of consumables is a problem. More often than not - they are not a problem. But again, i rarely raid with people without consumables, so..
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Consumables have only gotten easier. The shear list of things that you had to get in vanilla were crazy, and early TBC was really bad too before the softened the materials required and made a distinction between elixirs.

Flasks lasted awhile but there was periods where they actually left you when dead. I remember on my rogue having to get the following prior to raid. Sharpening stones, winter fall firewater, juju flurry, elixir of the mongoose, elixir of giants, elixir of agility, dirge's kicking chops, healing potions, specific resistance potions, tubers and the other consumable that you could get in Felwood. Absolutely crazy. Things like elixir of agility and mongoose didn't really stack as you couldn't stack the agility benefit, it would just take the highest agility value. Thus, while mongoose gave 20 or 25 agility (I forget) and 2% crit, you would still want to use an elixir of agility because it gave more agility.

TBC made everybody want to get flasks and it was super expensive. Also in combat DPS potions were available, so you always had to chug them on CD for maximum DPS benefit. This was before the era of pre-pots. Also, like stated, early in this expansion you would be running with scrolls and tons of different elixirs, before they changed flasks to count as an elixir (or at least a battle elixir). That made consumables a lot better because you only needed combat pots, a flask and I believe a defensive elixir with food.

As far as shear volume Legion really isn't that bad. Vantus is once per week and food/flasks aren't that bad. The only things that are truly expensive and annoying are augment runes, but you only really want to use those when you're close to a kill. Cost wise Legion is expensive because grace/old war are expensive, but so many classes these days use prolonged (and prolonged is good for progression anyways because of the extra stamina for 1 whole minute) that it's not nearly as bad.

Basically Legion is about the same as WoD as far as consumables go, it's just more expensive because pots/flasks in WoD were dirt cheap. Vantus isn't really in the discussion IMO. Still a large leap from TBC/Vanilla as far as consumables are concerned though.

Vanilla > TBC > Legion as far as how consumables are, in difficulty/cost/time.

Quote Originally Posted by devla View Post
    Expect even more or more expensive consumables in the future so people buy more gold, gotta drive those token sales.
    This is such nonsense when you consider the last 2 xpacs have given us more gold for effectively no work than any time in the history of wow... I'm of course talking about garrison and Order hall missions. You can also add the shoulder enchants to this. I have no solid data on how much gold value the mats my harvester enchants have given me but it must be many tens of thousands of gold considering a stack of 200 of some of the fish cost thousands of gold... Every 1 of those bags is worth a few hundred gold and even since I stopped doing world quests beyond what's needed for the emissary, I get at least a half dozen of them a day.

Also consumables aren't more expensive in real terms today than they were in the past... Yes a flask might cost a lot more gold today than in the past but at the same time a single common herb goes for almost 40 gold and instead of you picking them 1-3 at a time you get 2-3 times that per node... Likewise with ore... A single fel slate sells for over 50g. How much did a single ore sell for during Cataclysm for example ? 2g for an obsidian ore ?

The effort required to get the ammount of gold required for consumables for raiding is no greater than it was in the past. In fact it's a lot less than at some points in wows history. How many people raided during Burning crusade before the battle / guardian elixir combo OR a flask ? I remember raiding on my hunter in early BC and having multiple elixirs running (mongoose, health regen, agility etc.) a flask, mana oil on both weapons and using mana potions all at the same time.... Oh and then add the cost of ammunition to that. It was more expensive to buy all the mats required and far more time consuming to farm them.

If WOW tokens didn't exist people like me who currently buy them off the AH would just continue to pay a sub instead and those who somehow can't make enough gold in game (despite how easy it is these days with order halls) would have no gold to buy the stuff we all want to sell on the AH to buy our wow tokens...
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2017-02-20 at 04:57 AM.