Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Absolutely. And if organizations are outright lying, then that is indeed fake news. The term really originated around stories that were just 100% fabricated, published by 100% fabricated news organizations, that were shared on Facebook and received millions of views. But now people are throwing it around just because they don't like the information being published.
    Well, there is some pretty legit deceit going on. The Federalist had an article detailing 14 fake news stories since Trump was inaugurated. They are a biased source but, reading the article you could clearly see they had legit claims to nearly all of the 14 detailed in the story.

What I really don't get it is, why make up stuff about Trump when there clearly is amble fodder for disdain and ridicule, within the parameters of journalistic standards?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Well, there is some pretty legit deceit going on. The Federalist had an article detailing 14 fake news stories since Trump was inaugurated. They are a biased source but, reading the article you could clearly see they had legit claims to nearly all of the 14 detailed in the story.

What I really don't get it is, why make up stuff about Trump when there clearly is amble fodder for disdain and ridicule, within the parameters of journalistic standards?
    I'd be interested in reading that article.

What is being made up about Trump?
    Eat yo vegetables

I'd be interested in reading that article.

What is being made up about Trump?
    The fact that you are unaware of any of these is alarming, but not surprising. We all live in our little echo chambers to a certain degree so, no offense is intended.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/06/...nce-trump-won/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Honest question? If none of the media can be trusted then whats real news?
    I want to be informed but without any of that fake stuff.
    Any news that isn't spat out spur of the moment to try and be the first one to get it on the air waves.
    Or news that doesn't have to be backed up the next day because it was way overblown, with apologies to everyone unfairly bashed.

That would be my guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that you are unaware of any of these is alarming, but not surprising. We all live in our little echo chambers to a certain degree so, no offense is intended.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/06/...nce-trump-won/
    I'll ask again. What is being made up about Trump?

Because this article, just as I had suspected, covers many stories that are not fake news. For example, "The Tri-State Election Hacking Conspiracy Theory" was not "fake news". It is 100% true that some computer scientist experts believed that they found evidence of possible election fraud. This was based on actual, verifiable numbers. Therefore, this isn't fake. It's a real story. The opinions and findings of these "experts" is open to criticism and challenge. But nothing in this story is fake.
    Eat yo vegetables

Real news is cold, hard, objective fact ("suspected terrorist attack kills two").

Biased news are facts presented, or not, through a lens promoting an agenda ("Muslim man suspected of terrorist attack, killing two").

Fake news is news without basis in fact, or adding fiction to fact, made purely to promote an agenda ("Muslim man kills two in terrorist attack").

I'll ask again. What is being made up about Trump?

Because this article, just as I had suspected, covers many stories that are not fake news. For example, "The Tri-State Election Hacking Conspiracy Theory" was not "fake news". It is 100% true that some computer scientist experts believed that they found evidence of possible election fraud. This was based on actual, verifiable numbers. Therefore, this isn't fake. It's a real story. The opinions and findings of these "experts" is open to criticism and challenge. But nothing in this story is fake.
    People are free to think what they want, including you. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Climate Change Purge: This factually happened. It even goes on to explain it in the article: "The purge was not unexpected. It came as part of the full digital turnover of whitehouse.gov, including taking down and archiving all the Obama administration’s personal and policy pages." Not fake news.

Betsy Devos Grizzly Comments: This factually happened. She said those things word for word. What about the story is fake?

I mean shit. Several of these are just Tweets. And even those later issued corrections.

This is a terrible example of fake news.
    Eat yo vegetables

The story that comes to mind is the Associated Press reporting that "100,000" national guard troops could be mobilized to round up immigrants. Completely fabricated. And they didn't just make a mistake on the number, there was no number.

Or how about the New York Times and CNN reporting that Trump's transition was in "disarray", before being debunked by people on both sides of the aisle. Just completely made up, there was no disarray. But sure made Trump look bad, which seemed like the point.

Climate Change Purge: This factually happened. It even goes on to explain it in the article: "The purge was not unexpected. It came as part of the full digital turnover of whitehouse.gov, including taking down and archiving all the Obama administration’s personal and policy pages." Not fake news.

Betsy Devos Grizzly Comments: This factually happened. She said those things word for word. What about the story is fake?

I mean shit. Several of these are just Tweets. And even those later issued corrections.

This is a terrible example of fake news.
    If you say so. Clearly, I disagree.

As for the Climate Change purge, since you didn't read it, the issue is that ALL of the Obama website was purged. When you report that all climate change info was purged, even though that is true, it's clearly misleading as all hell to not also note that all other info was also taken down and archived to a new website. The driving point of the story is that Trump is anti-climate hoax. Although what happened is factually true, none of the actual facts of the story back up the driving point of the story. Fake news.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    The story that comes to mind is the Associated Press reporting that "100,000" national guard troops could be mobilized to round up immigrants. Completely fabricated. And they didn't just make a mistake on the number, there was no number.

Or how about the New York Times and CNN reporting that Trump's transition was in "disarray", before being debunked by people on both sides of the aisle. Just completely made up, there was no disarray. But sure made Trump look bad, which seemed like the point.
    Not only was the figure of the 100k troops fake, the entire memo was presented in a very misleading manner. This memo was made by a staffer and NEVER EVEN SUBMITTED TO ANYONE. So when you say, "Trump administration is considering XYZ", what you are really saying is "Low level staffer makes memo but never submits it for consideration". Pretty misleading...

Deleted
    Hehe my party once was worried about that religion and their altruism. They got owned by industrial revolutions - humans are globally informed for the price they will never be able to be see what is closest to them again. People unable to process country or world will not be able to do anything anymore.

If you say so. Clearly, I disagree.

As for the Climate Change purge, since you didn't read it, the issue is that ALL of the Obama website was purged. When you report that all climate change info was purged, even though that is true, it's clearly misleading as all hell to not also note that all other info was also taken down and archived to a new website. The driving point of the story is that Trump is anti-climate hoax. Although what happened is factually true, none of the actual facts of the story back up the driving point of the story. Fake news.

- - - Updated - - -

Not only was the figure of the 100k troops fake, the entire memo was presented in a very misleading manner. This memo was made by a staffer and NEVER EVEN SUBMITTED TO ANYONE. So when you say, "Trump administration is considering XYZ", what you are really saying is "Low level staffer makes memo but never submits it for consideration". Pretty misleading...
    Absolutely. And I'll be honest with you, even if the media dishonesty doesn't fit the strict definition of "made up story on Facebook", it seems clear to me that the American public understands the parallel well enough. The Emerson poll showing that Americans trust Trump more than the media pretty much bears this out.

Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    Absolutely. And I'll be honest with you, even if the media dishonesty doesn't fit the strict definition of "made up story on Facebook", it seems clear to me that the American public understands the parallel well enough. The Emerson poll showing that Americans trust Trump more than the media pretty much bears this out.
    The only entity that scored lower in that poll of Americans, was Vladimir Putin. Basically, the media could not factually be more despised.

There is no such thing as "real news". Every media outlet ever, dating back to Ben Franklin, and prior, is biased as fuck. Unfortunately, in the US, the sheeple have accepted the ridiculous notion that the press is unbiased. Therefore, when it's pointed out that it's not just Faux News that has bias, they literally cannot wrap their minds around it. Anyone with a command of the language, and the facts, can see through the partisan bias of both sides with ease.
    Bias news doesn't make it bloody fake news, that's a Trump talking point in order to weaken the term fake news.

Their are things like misreporting and shady news-reporting which you can accuse fox news plenty off (Obamaphones) but that byitself isn't really fake.

if I was a journalist and a government contact of mine ''leaked'' me a story which after a week turned out to be false the original article would still be ''news'' but it would have to be retracted. The orginal story wouldn't be fake, I reported what my source told me which eventually turned out to be false. Ofc this doesn't mean I can just take a random dude from craigslist, a real journalist would vet his source and the claims.

But what is fake is me writing a entire article, making up sources and posting it somewhere and calling it a news article.

What Buzzfeed did for example was questionable journalism, not fake news because the document was real but never verified.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Bias news doesn't make it bloody fake news, that's a Trump talking point in order to weaken the term fake news.

Their are things like misreporting and shady news-reporting which you can accuse fox news plenty off (Obamaphones) but that byitself isn't really fake.

if I was a journalist and a government contact of mine ''leaked'' me a story which after a week turned out to be false the original article would still be ''news'' but it would have to be retracted. The orginal story wouldn't be fake, I reported what my source told me which eventually turned out to be false. Ofc this doesn't mean I can just take a random dude from craigslist, a real journalist would vet his source and the claims.

But what is fake is me writing a entire article, making up sources and posting it somewhere and calling it a news article.

What Buzzfeed did for example was questionable journalism, not fake news because the document was real but never verified.
    Buzzfeed did not create fake news. But, they did SPREAD fake news, as did CNN. They knew damn well that the dossier was fake. How do I know that? Because EVERY media outlet, including Faux News, had this dossier for MONTHS, including during the election. Trust me, if there is dirt to dig up on Trump, on any issue, it doesn't take MONTHS to verify it, if your whole purpose in life is to discredit Trump. They had this before the election. If it could be verified, it would have by now. Therefore, it's FAKE NEWS.

Also, regarding CNN, 72 hours of reporting that you are not reporting on a story, is the same fucking thing as reporting on the story.

There is no real news because news itself has been secondary in this country to the narratives built around it for the last 20 years. There isn't news per se so much as there are just competing narratives. There are facts which skim the surface of the real agendas which create what we see being reported as 'news'.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still do not know what can be trusted as real or fake, but dont admit that here you will be called lazy and stupid by the left.

It's amazing how many people enjoy being lied too as long as it fit's what they believe.

Buzzfeed did not create fake news. But, they did SPREAD fake news, as did CNN. They knew damn well that the dossier was fake. How do I know that? Because EVERY media outlet, including Faux News, had this dossier for MONTHS, including during the election. Trust me, if there is dirt to dig up on Trump, on any issue, it doesn't take MONTHS to verify it, if your whole purpose in life is to discredit Trump. They had this before the election. If it could be verified, it would have by now. Therefore, it's FAKE NEWS.

Also, regarding CNN, 72 hours of reporting that you are not reporting on a story, is the same fucking thing as reporting on the story.
    No they didn't spread fake news.

To many people are ignoring the nuance and are just repeating talking points they hear from others, keep it simple and stop repeating the talking points and start thinking for yourself.

First the documented existed and it was in circulation for months behind the scenes and people where actually talking about it, this by itself made it potential news but because the dossier in question was unverified so nobody published it.

What Buzzfeed did however was questionable by ethical standards but nothing more, if they published the document the first chance they get then they would have been spreading potential fake news but since it was in circulation for months that by itself made this news.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I still do not know what can be trusted as real or fake, but dont admit that here you will be called lazy and stupid by the left.
    Oh come on, what's to be trusted?

Pffff, it the story itself sounds stupid then their is a high chance that it's fake.

Seriously a child trafficking scheme below a pizzeria that involves H. Clinton.....it sounds stupid and it was god dam stupid.

Their is a huge difference between the crap of Breitbart and for example and lets say Huffington Post or even Fox News.

Breitbart makes up shit, the only thing their writers need is a computer with a type writer because any a simple google search would mean that they couldn't really make up their bullshit.

Fox News uses a actual legitimate premise, it just that they makes BS after that which makes them a joke. This does not make them fake news but the amount of bullshit coming out of their month is just as dangerous or even more so.

Huffington Post is a bit to liberal as you saw this election when they predicted something like a 90% chance for victory for Clinton (based on the polls but still). It;'s not equal to lets say Fox News who just makes up crap but you should know from what side they are coming from when reading their articles.