Win10 OEM DVD vs Download USB

I'm putting together my computer tonight.

Barely a question, because I don't see why it wouldn't work... but since I'm sitting at work with time to think maybe I could save myself 30 min if I am wrong.

I'm buying a Win10 pro OEM DVD to save 60 bucks (that's all they have). I already have Win 10 pro on a USB stick.

I should be able to install from the USB stick, and just type in the code from the OEM DVD, right? Those OEM codes are not tied to the installation media (DVD) are they?

If push comes to shove I do have an optical drive. The USB stick is just 3 times as fast to boot and install from. I suppose I also could make a USB drive from the DVD, which I'd do for backup purposes anyway if I'm wrong.

Just trying to save myself some time, and maybe a couple steps, since I'll be strapped for time between work and bed to get this thing put together.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    I'm putting together my computer tonight.

Barely a question, because I don't see why it wouldn't work... but since I'm sitting at work with time to think maybe I could save myself 30 min if I am wrong.

I'm buying a Win10 pro OEM DVD to save 60 bucks (that's all they have). I already have Win 10 pro on a USB stick.

I should be able to install from the USB stick, and just type in the code from the OEM DVD, right? Those OEM codes are not tied to the installation media (DVD) are they?

If push comes to shove I do have an optical drive. The USB stick is just 3 times as fast to boot and install from. I suppose I also could make a USB drive from the DVD, which I'd do for backup purposes anyway if I'm wrong.

Just trying to save myself some time, and maybe a couple steps, since I'll be strapped for time between work and bed to get this thing put together.
    Yes, as long as it's Windows 10 Pro for the installer (universal nowadays because of MS) and a Windows 10 Pro key it doesn't give a rat's ass where you install it from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    I'm buying a Win10 pro OEM DVD to save 60 bucks (that's all they have). .
    What does this mean, exactly? Is ordering a DVD $60 cheaper than ordering digital or...? Is Home not an option? Just trying to make sure that you're buying the right thing for the right reason. Sometimes people think the "DVD" also means it has the license.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

haha yeah as chazus says, first step -- make sure you've actually bought a licence and not just a dvd!

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What does this mean, exactly? Is ordering a DVD $60 cheaper than ordering digital or...? Is Home not an option? Just trying to make sure that you're buying the right thing for the right reason. Sometimes people think the "DVD" also means it has the license.
    Sorry, just noticed this now. I was busy this weekend. Build went well if you're curious. The USB version took my OEM CD key just fine (like we all thought it would)

The store only had the OEM licenced version on a DVD. The OEM version saved $60 dollars. Yes, it came with the license. It was a purchase at a brick & mortar (Microcenter).

To the other question... was home an option for me? I honestly didn't look. Past versions of windows I wanted the pro version for reasons that I had fleshed out at the time. I've also purchased copies of Windows for work in the past. Out of habit I went pro without even looking.
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2017-02-20 at 08:24 PM.