Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Haven't watched it yet, will do later tonight; However, yet another big yawn at another video aimed at trump.

Deleted
    Do not get tired on critizizing trump . That is what he wants. People not caring about his capers anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    It's not a strategy. And, "no one cares"? Literally the entire "free world" cares - the American right cared even more than the American left or the entirety of Europe, up until the point the golden-haired Jesus 2.0 decided America should spoon with Russia.

Let me just remind you why everyone should care. It's because the country is headed by an autocrat, whom I wont describe in detail because John Oliver has already done so and I am assuming you know the things Putin has done. Of course, that's not enough, there's plenty of countries who are headed by autocrats. There's a difference, though. Russia is the largest such country, depending on whether or not you count in China, and most of all, he is a threat to Europe. And there, very simply, lies the reason why America should not spoon with Russia. Because if you do so, you risk alienating allies who share 95% of your values. We're in this shit together. Why the hell do you think we Europeans give a single fuck who's the president otherwise? He's not just the POTUS, he is the leader of the "free world".

On a list of issues that will drive real Americans to the polls, it has to be way down there. Why is Putin mad at us? Mostly, because we are on his border. Back in the Cold War, America was fighting a radical ideology intent on spreading itself at all costs. Not to mention how different the people in the 3rd world were at that time, most of them were just emerging out of the middle ages. I get why we had to fight WWII and the Cold War. Why we are on Russia's border (not at all defensive like the start of the Cold War) and trying to keep him from bullying his neighbor, I have no idea.

And its only a small part of a global strategy doomed to fail. Our military has been in the Middle East for 30+ years, does that place look any better today than when we got there? We aren't fighting one enemy with a clear goal in mind. Instead, we have some vague notion of making the world a better place by increasing our intelligence abilities to creepy levels and a regular dose of "smart" bombs and drone strikes that "always" hit the bad guys.

The real reason for the Russia obsession is because Putin exposed the American left of being much closer to his own oligarchy than most of us would have guessed. As much as Snowden should have opened people's eyes to the dangers of our own intelligence agencies, this should have made people aware how connected those with positions of power and money are in America. That is why its necessary to keep yelling about Russia without ever once examining why the information leaked was so damaging.

Deleted
    Oh, the leftist media surely love to bash Trump, no wonder he hates them. Nothing about this is funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    It was quite annoying when Oliver claimed their President didn't kill people.
    No matter how critical they become, in the end they still want to claim the moral high ground.
    Seriously? Now even you're down with shitty logic?

Sure, Obama killed people. The difference? He targeted people who actually wanted to destroy the US. And he was wrong to do so in such a way that he killed civilians as well, but the idea that that crime is the same as actually ordering assassinations of your political enemies or journalists so you can ensure that you rule for 20 years is absurd at the very least.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2017-02-20 at 09:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Oh, the leftist media surely love to bash Trump, no wonder he hates them. Nothing about this is funny.
    Oh it's not the "leftist media" only. It is also the completely moronic NeverTrumpers who suffered an ego-crushing defeat and were proved to not have a fucking CLUE as to what they were talking about and be completely full of shit, no matter how may diatribes they fire off.

Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    On a list of issues that will drive real Americans to the polls, it has to be way down there. Why is Putin mad at us? Mostly, because we are on his border. Back in the Cold War, America was fighting a radical ideology intent on spreading itself at all costs. Not to mention how different the people in the 3rd world were at that time, most of them were just emerging out of the middle ages. I get why we had to fight WWII and the Cold War. Why we are on Russia's border (not at all defensive like the start of the Cold War) and trying to keep him from bullying his neighbor, I have no idea.
    You realize that we've "been on Russia's border" ever since Alaska became a state, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    You realize that we've "been on Russia's border" ever since Alaska became a state, right?

Because Alaska has something to do with the differences between current US foreign policy and Cold War foreign policy? Pretty much sums up political argumentation today -bring up a fact that while true, is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Take down seems to almost imply he harmed Trump in some kind of manner...

Nothing of the sort occurred.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i really dislike trump.

but this little shitstain is a part of the problem with the left. can't stand him. got a face that needs punched.

weak, pathetic little man.
    he's a comedian, change the channel rather than being a dickhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I think the problem is that the general mood is that if joining NATO was on the table, there should be a national vote on whether to apply or not, and since we can't be sure that the vote would go through 100%, there will not be a vote just in case the vote might produce a "NO" result, which would look really ugly if the politicians would go forward with joining anyway lol. I know legally the Parliament could simply hold a vote on it and decide without asking the general population, but they are kinda reluctant to do so. Also through some weird non-verbal agreement it is thought that if Sweden doesn't join NATO then Finland won't either, but Sweden won't join because "muh neutrality".
    Yes, well. Sweden and Finland have very close ties. I should know, my dad comes from the Swedish speaking minority in Finland! But as I said before, if Finland is under attack again, they will be protected. They are part of the EU and as such, NATO would get involved. It's a very indirect benefit of NATO, but it's there nevertheless. Next time you kick Russian butt, we'll make sure that you don't have to give up land again. That Karelia grab was despicable.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    But we didn't surrender. Obama cared more about multiculturalism and foreigners than American citizens. Get Democrats to put Americans first, then you won't get someone like Trump.
    Have to answer to this: So you want to have no development of society whatsoever? No foreign influences? No new traditions coming to your community? Living in a puritan 16. century world?

That wont be possible, but i think you should contact the amish people, they are basically the society you long for.

Though i admit a puritan 16. century has its advantages. Christmas and mince pie are banned! Hurray! (this pagan traditions only came with filthy irish immigrants 200 years later)

Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    Because Alaska has something to do with the differences between current US foreign policy and Cold War foreign policy? Pretty much sums up political argumentation today -bring up a fact that while true, is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
    Well, except idiots like you keep spewing up nonsense as if it were something new when it has already existed -- and continues to exist -- for over 50 years.

America and Russia have shared a border for ages. Bitching about it under some other context is just idiotic.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-02-20 at 10:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yes, well. Sweden and Finland have very close ties. I should know, my dad comes from the Swedish speaking minority in Finland! But as I said before, if Finland is under attack again, they will be protected. They are part of the EU and as such, NATO would get involved. It's a very indirect benefit of NATO, but it's there nevertheless. Next time you kick Russian butt, we'll make sure that you don't have to give up land again. That Karelia grab was despicable.
    There is NO way an attack on an EU country wouldn't result in an appropriate response.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    You'd think the Trumpkins, with their effusive worship of Western Civilization (I strongly doubt they actually know what that is, but I digress), would be the most enthusiastic people on that note. But for whatever reason, they keep ignoring the fact that Russia is not a Western Country and for centuries, Russian leaders have had nothing but malice in their heart at what we call now "the West". And they would invite these people in? What an absurdity.
    I think the worst display of this whole thing to date, was at Trumps inauguration. Not only did those hardcore supporters go to watch him get sworn in after learning that Russia had a hand in things, but then they listened and clapped along to music about how much they loved America. I don't even usually listen to country music but it stained the entire genre for me because it was such a gross moment.

I can't help but think of another John Oliver thing where he was talking about how Taiwan had a funny/weird tendancy to use hitler art in random places. In the video, he showed a picture of a T-shirt that had a Hitler-themed Teletubby on it. He said "There are only two people this shirt could work for. The people who wanted a Hitler shirt so bad they'd take one with a Teletubby on it, or those who wanted a Teletubby shirt so much they'd take one with Hitler on it, and I'm not sure which is worse."

That's how I'm increasingly feeling when I see these God-awful stupid responses on so many threads like this. Are these people who like Trump so much that theyll demonize our values and support Putin, or people who dislike our own way of life enough that they're willing to support Trump in his fumbling attempts to chip away at our most treasured institutions and the pillars that support and protect us? Like the fucking free press?

Like the Teletubby shirt debacle, I'm not sure which one is worse.

(By the by, I always enjoy your posts. Stay awesome <3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

Sigh, if he goes a third episode in a row dedicated to Trump then I will probably just drop the show. I preferred the segments on subject few ever think about.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Sigh, if he goes a third episode in a row dedicated to Trump then I will probably just drop the show. I preferred the segments on subject few ever think about.
    Not how this is gonna work they will keep trying to smear the man they have learned nothing in their defeat...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha View Post
    I think the worst display of this whole thing to date, was at Trumps inauguration. Not only did those hardcore supporters go to watch him get sworn in after learning that Russia had a hand in things, but then they listened and clapped along to music about how much they loved America. I don't even usually listen to country music but it stained the entire genre for me because it was such a gross moment.
    As a european very active at that time in politics the big difference between W. and Trump for me:

We resented W. politics especially iraq and fabricated claims, protested a lot etc. W. himself was seen a bit of a moron but not out of the ordinary. We resented his politics (and Cheney) but not the person.

In the case of Donald it feels more like faceplam.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    John Oliver is a foreign comedian.
    He's a permanent resident of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Not how this is gonna work they will keep trying to smear the man they have learned nothing in their defeat...
    You know, you Trumpkins... what did you expect, honestly? That if in the event Trump won things were going to get easier? That was never going to happen. You might as well been hoping for a unicorn that shits doughnuts.

Trump is such a moral affront - and keep in mind I keep framing my opposition in moral terms first - that you could expect nothing less than every minute of his Presidency, so long as it lasts, to be us besieging you, from every angle.

You won an election. Congratulations. You won the opportunity to govern. And you get to do it in an environment where the majority that rejects Trump, is going to make that a very difficult thing for you to do.

In other words, your victory in the election was the start of your problems, not the end. You know what this video is? A good summary. That's it. There is nothing new here we haven't heard before. Things like this will not destroy Trump and keep the US from making a catastrophic mistake in partnering up with Russia. But they will serve to contextualize and inform when the things that DO destroy Trump and the things that will stop that catastrophic mistake, come along.

It will take a strategy to beat a strategy. One element of our strategy, against you, is to make as often as possible the public case about the sheer insanity of a major pillar of Trump's foreign policy, his Russia coddling.

If you can't take this, there's the door... get the fuck out of politics... because we'll never stop. And if by some dark fate Trump manages to stay President for 4 years, and win re-election... guess what! It doesn't stop then either.

Even if Trump is impeached and removed from office tomorrow, his supporters must still pay a moral cost. In other words primalmatter, @Ransath and others... this never ends. You better fight like hell because us "butt hurt NeverTrumpers" (or some nonsense like that), will never, ever stop. We will keep attacking. We will win. We will lose. We will find new ways to attack. But it'll never cease.