Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Seems a silly and stupid thing for the British to do... We are the most wealthy and strongest country on Earth and we hold a tremendous amount of power...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Stupid.

Nothing like rejecting your largest ally. Silly Brits.
    Donald Trump isn't the United States, he's Donald Trump.

He's hardly proven his ability to be president.

In fact, if anything, I see rejecting Trump as a way for Britain to boost their relationship with the US. Britain hates Trump, most of the US hates Trump... things countries can agree on!
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    BBC Parliament is a thing but it's mostly dull as ditch water. PMs questions usually comes across a a drunken argument amongst 12 year olds in a shitpoints scoring contest. It's not to say that there isn't some worthy debate held in that House, but the tendancy toward cheering, booing and heckling gives a pantomime feel to proceedings.
    Yeah, it could be watching the Brexit stuff made me think it's more fun to watch than it really is. I doubt I would want to watch them debate a canal route or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Seems a silly and stupid thing for the British to do... We are the most wealthy and strongest country on Earth and we hold a tremendous amount of power...
    So what's Donald Trump going to do about it? Cry about how Britain is mean on Twitter?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I can't wait to see his freakout on Twitter over this not-legally-binding-vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    If the Queen is the head of state, how is it that she has no say in who she visits with? Can she meet with him in a non-official way? Do they just own this woman completely?
    She's the head of state, basically in name only. She has some powers, but are heavily checked since it's a hereditary position. She has three major rights. The right to be consulted by the Prime Minister; To encourage certain courses of action; To warn against others. She also has several powers. Her powers are: The power to appoint and dismiss the Prime Minister, to appoint and dismiss other ministers, to summon, prorogue and dissolve Parliament, to make war and peace, to command the armed forces of the United Kingdom, to regulate the Civil Service, to ratify treaties, to issue passports, to appoint bishops and archbishops of the Church of England, and to create peers (both life peers and hereditary peers).

Naturally most of her "powers" are checked by parliament and it's more ceremonial than anything. The queen, while officially appointing the British PM, always chooses the party leader from the majority party. No time in living memory has a PM been dismissed, but some have resigned after her urging. She technically signs treaties and declares war/peace but needs parliaments consent, etc.

To nutshell it, she has some rights, and a bunch of ceremonial powers that if she actually exercised would probably result in her removal. Then she has several duties she is required to fulfill. She is respected and loved mainly out of popularity, not power. She wouldn't go against the will of parliament, even if she is "technically" allowed to.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2017-02-21 at 12:37 AM.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    So, let's see - that is 4 heads of state and not one alliance broken.
    Yes, all of them proved they can be very diplomatic when the need arises.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Wait, I thought you guys had a dictator?

All jokes aside, it's not surprising that the pip squeak lesser politicians are so irresponsible, that they would put cheap shots above their own well being. They do it here as well.

Can you imagine the damage that would be done if the US/UK relationship were ruined? The UK would suffer far, far more. This makes no logical sense, from merely a self interest angle.
    Agreed, it seems pretty juvenile, yeah lets deny a visit from the dully elected leader of our closest ally of 100+ years because..feelings and pussy hats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Agreed, it seems pretty juvenile, yeah lets deny a visit from the dully elected leader of our closest ally of 100+ years because..feelings and pussy hats!!!
    I'm actually pro-pussy hat. It seems like the rowdy public instigated the vote. Now, there is a right I wish we had in the US. Then again, we would probably just end up with National Beer Day, and The Freedom of Driving Around in the Army Tanks Act.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    There has been a number of US presidents that have visited Britain on a state visit, but can you name another that has been invited on a state visit within 7 days of their first presidential inauguration?

If you don't already know the answer is there hasn't been another, and it's shameful shit that we invite the clown that has turned your Whitehouse into a circus on a preimture state visit.
    Does it matter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We are the most wealthy and strongest country on Earth
    Are those both still true? China's not exactly a lightweight. And there's a train from China to UK. Which is fucking incredible.

I wish we could have one day where the media doesn't shit on trump. I'm not a fan of him either but give him a chance, bitching about him everyday gets annoying fast

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    She's the head of state, basically in name only. She has some powers, but are heavily checked since it's a hereditary position. She has three major rights. The right to be consulted by the Prime Minister; To encourage certain courses of action; To warn against others. She also has several powers. Her powers are: The power to appoint and dismiss the Prime Minister, to appoint and dismiss other ministers, to summon, prorogue and dissolve Parliament, to make war and peace, to command the armed forces of the United Kingdom, to regulate the Civil Service, to ratify treaties, to issue passports, to appoint bishops and archbishops of the Church of England, and to create peers (both life peers and hereditary peers).

Naturally most of her "powers" are checked by parliament and it's more ceremonial than anything. The queen, while officially appointing the British PM, always chooses the party leader from the majority party. No time in living memory has a PM been dismissed, but some have resigned after her urging. She technically signs treaties and declares war/peace but needs parliaments consent, etc.

To nutshell it, she has some rights, and a bunch of ceremonial powers that if she actually exercised would probably result in her removal. Then she has several duties she is required to fulfill. She is respected and loved mainly out of popularity, not power. She wouldn't go against the will of parliament, even if she is "technically" allowed to.
    Just wanna chime in and say thanks for this informative post; as an American I was always kind of curious about how the office of the queen functioned, but never looked it up.

Also as an American and a liberal, good show on the rejection, Brits.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Are you fucking kidding? We are on like chance 50.

- - - Updated - - -

To the trump supporters its never Trumps fault.
    Could be worse, anytime someone criticized Obama they were labeled a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    annnnnnnd ready /popcorn
    Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    I wish we could have one day where the media doesn't shit on trump. I'm not a fan of him either but give him a chance, bitching about him everyday gets annoying fast
    The question is... are they bitching on him because they dislike him, or do they have to bitch on him, because he's proving to be a new kind of imbecile every single day?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Here.

wtf is that??? It's powder!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I wish we could have one day where the media doesn't shit on trump.
    The day Trump stops extruding shit from his mouth - that's the day the media will stop reporting about the shit Trump says and does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Could be worse, anytime someone criticized Obama they were labeled a racist.
    Yeah - but you got to criticise Obama on the nature of his policies. Trump is so damned incoherent and unqualified - the issue is the man.

He is so undeniably unqualified that he shouldn't have won the election in December last year.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    They voted a reality tv show host into office. You get reality tv.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Just wanna chime in and say thanks for this informative post; as an American I was always kind of curious about how the office of the queen functioned, but never looked it up.

Also as an American and a liberal, good show on the rejection, Brits.
    If you're interested in the crown, there's a really good show on Netflix called "The Crown". It goes over the first few years of Elizabeth's reign (the current queen). She's old so it does start a little after WWII. But you really see her powers, rights, duties, and the various tasks the queen takes on. There's a bit of drama and theater in it, since it is also meant to entertain, but it does a good job with both accuracy and enjoyment in my opinion.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    The day Trump stops extruding shit from his mouth - that's the day the media will stop reporting about the shit Trump says and does.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah - but you got to criticise Obama on the nature of his policies. Trump is so damned incoherent and unqualified - the issue is the man.

He is so undeniably unqualified that he shouldn't have won the election in December last year.
    I don't necessarily disagree, I'm not a fan of trump and think he makes a mockery of my conservative beliefs.