Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I stopped playing 1 year ago. I still log in from time to time to play a game or 2, but I just don't think getting rekt by rush decks is that fun anymore

The only time i play is when i have a quest i can do with my mage deck, which is almost never since they added all the new quests. Rest of the time i log on reroll a quest and log straight back off again.

Every other day i seem to roll into "play X overload/combo cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Fenzha View Post
    The only time i play is when i have a quest i can do with my mage deck, which is almost never since they added all the new quests. Rest of the time i log on reroll a quest and log straight back off again.

Every other day i seem to roll into "play X overload/combo cards"
    That is one of the bad things brought about by more types of quests I think. You run into exactly what you described, rolling and re-rolling into less favorable quests. I think that Blizzard would benefit from having some type of quest blacklist, similar to WoW's blacklist for certain pvp battlegrounds.

Question: why people say Hearthstone is pay2win? its because you can buy packs of cards with real money?

Quote Originally Posted by Baneador View Post
    Question: why people say Hearthstone is pay2win? its because you can buy packs of cards with real money?
    The HS community, and general gamer misunderstanding of what the term actually means. If Hearthstone was pay to win you wouldn't be able to get to legend, hit 12 wins in arena, farm people in tavern brawl, or complete solo adventures (such as fully clearing heroic boss fights) unless you spent real money on the game. Clearly, this is not true, thus the game is not pay to win in the strictest & truest sense.

Now, the second closest definition of pay to win (ie paying real money to gain a faster advantage than f2p players) does exist in the game. I can pay money to construct decks and collect cards faster. THAT is what HS actually is. You pay money to construct non aggro decks faster than other players, and as a result you win more consistently earlier on when compared to players who only have partial versions of those decks due to those players being f2p. However, players having an advantage over you at the highest ranks, at least until you complete your deck(s), does not mean you can't win. It just means you win less often, but the fact remains that you still will win against other players. The game is not pay to win.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not. It's "pay for convenience".

Literally everything in the game can be done without paying a cent. It just takes a bit longer.

Not only that, but a deck full of great cards piloted by someone bad at the game will lose to a wacky deck of whatever in the hands of an experienced veteran 90% of the time. Buying cards doesn't guarantee you wins.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I quit hearthstone because they made Tyrande only available in 6 countries and they said they're considering ways of allowing her in other countries, I was waiting for that to happen instead of trying to cheat it with fake address like reddit suggested, in the end promotion ended and there was no legal non-lying way to obtain her in other countries. I don't like to lie if I don't have to and I got pissed they hinted an alternative way for people from the non-privileged countries but that never happened.

Stupid reason? Probably. But every time I saw Tyrande as my opponent I was getting reminded of the annoyance so I decided to just say fuck it and quit.

That also aligned with the Gadgetzan expansion release and I was tired of having to rebuild my decks over and again, as a f2p player you work towards your decks and then when you're nearly done the meta shifts and the work starts anew.

Totally not having this argument again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically yeah. A new player will be at a disadvantage and hence will win less games due to the lack of OP cards unless they fork out a ton of money for packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    The HS community, and general gamer misunderstanding of what the term actually means.
    There is no unified centralised one size fits all definition of the term, everyone uses it to suit their own purpose. To me pay-to-win is an idiom that says you can pay money to gain an advantage on top of your natural skill level. This surely applies to Hearthstone especially when starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    It's not. It's "pay for convenience".

Literally everything in the game can be done without paying a cent. It just takes a bit longer.

Not only that, but a deck full of great cards piloted by someone bad at the game will lose to a wacky deck of whatever in the hands of an experienced veteran 90% of the time. Buying cards doesn't guarantee you wins.
    "pay for the convenience" - Exactly, pay for the convenience of winning faster, that's pay-to-win.

Although you don't need all of the cards at any one time you will never get all the cards in the game without spending money because expansions are released at an ever faster rate. So yeah you cannot "Literally" do everything. You will never have hands-on access to all or any specific cards to include in a deck to increase winning chances as you see fit.

The argument that "an expert can win with a Wacky deck" is flawed. Of course you can win with a Wacky deck, it's not about winning, it's about increasing your chances to win in any way you decide to try.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Basically yeah. A new player will be at a disadvantage and hence will win less games due to the lack of OP cards unless they fork out a ton of money for packs.

There is no unified centralised one size fits all definition of the term, everyone uses it to suit their own purpose. To me pay-to-win is an idiom that says you can pay money to gain an advantage on top of your natural skill level. This surely applies to Hearthstone especially when starting out.

"pay for the convenience" - Exactly, pay for the convenience of winning faster, that's pay-to-win.

Although you don't need all of the cards at any one time you will never get all the cards in the game without spending money because expansions are released at an ever faster rate. So yeah you cannot "Literally" do everything. You will never have hands-on access to all or any specific cards to include in a deck to increase winning chances as you see fit.

The argument that "an expert can win with a Wacky deck" is flawed. Of course you can win with a Wacky deck, it's not about winning, it's about increasing your chances to win in any way you decide to try.
    Only completionists go for "every card in the game" because a lot of them are rubbish and/or dust fodder

Meanwhile I am entirely FTP and I can play any deck I want because I have every card worth using, plus a whole LOT of cards that are fun (in the vein of Renounce), plus cards I keep for Brawls, plus random cards I havent bothered disenchanting because... I have 18k dust sitting there doing nothing.

FTP.

Could I get every card? Sure. I could dump all my gold and go on a crafting spree and probably get super close right now. Will I? Fuck no. See above.

All you're paying for is the chance to skip the collection-building period that I and every other FTP player went through at one point when starting the game.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Try Gwent then, maybe you can start from scratch there and have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile I am entirely FTP and I can play any deck I want because I have every card worth using, plus a whole LOT of cards that are fun (in the vein of Renounce), plus cards I keep for Brawls, plus random cards I havent bothered disenchanting because... I have 18k dust sitting there doing nothing.

Could I get every card? Sure. I could dump all my gold and go on a crafting spree and probably get super close right now. Will I? Fuck no. See above.

All you're paying for is the chance to skip the collection-building period that I and every other FTP player went through at one point when starting the game.
    I'm almost at the stage you are because I started a year late although I'm catching up due to arena. However going ball to the walls and eventually getting there does not exempt the game from being pay-to-win in the way I use the term.

Only completionists go for "every card in the game" because a lot of them are rubbish and/or dust fodder

FTP.

Do 50 year olds compare their lifetime achievements to 18 year olds? "I got a house, wife, and 2 car's. Life isn't easier with more money. So what if that young kid got help from his parents to succeed, I succeeded too, it just took me a little longer."

Totally reasonable comparison. Because time isn't an advantage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time is definitely an advantage in any FTP game, its quite silly to think otherwise. More so in HS because over a 3-4 year period you'll almost have all the cards (my collection is 70-80% done for example but I'm not going to 100% because there is no need to).

I still play about 15-20 hours of HS a month and enjoy the hell out of it even when I'm pissed off at some matches. I have about 4370g built up just from quests alone since the last expansion.

People that approach the game in different ways just need to understand what they put into it is what they get out of it (on top of some RNG luck). The upcoming log-in rewards this spring should help/bring in some new players as well and hopefully they keep doing so for each expansion (and randomly too)
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    This is true, but I see how many other people use the term & the way that they interpret it is a very inaccurate definition for what is really going on in the game. Look at how many players take this self-defeating attitude about their chances of success at the game because they already decide that the game is "pay to win" in the sense that they believe you can't win very often at all unless you spend money.

For those players Blizzard doesn't ruin the game for them, those players ruin it for themselves by foolishly thinking they need to spend money if they want to hit legend, or even rank 5/10.