Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here I was thinking I was getting ahead by purchasing the base game and the expansion for $22 on Steam when I should have just tied HW on to my garbage SE account and ate the immediate subscription.

Character creation is pretty much fucked on all but the dead/low-pop servers like Famfrit, Malboro, Bryn, Exodus, and Diabolos. Want to play on Leviathan with all your friends? Better pay for a transfer or fuck off!

Ugh.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-02-21 at 02:15 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Not so much high skill but too high a gap between skilled and unskilled dps
    *cough*MCH*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    On a dragoon, it honestly wouldn't.
    You have (nearly) no room for fuckups or resets anyway, if you can't use the/a GCD, you start with the 1-2-3 of chaos thrust again and that's it.

They could easily remove the 1 part of both combos. Wouldn't change a damn thing for example. No one times combos with add spawns anyway, because the DPS loss of wasting GCDs is so much higher than the little extra burst you gain from saving heavy thrust for a mob that doesn't even have the debuff up.
    You use Jump/Spineshatter etc. for burst anyway, so.. *shrug*.

the 2nd 1-2-3 combo is completely useless anyway (as in: the benefit doesn't show enough), it doesn't add much DPS, it doesn't have any debuffs or procs, it's basically a build up for a bigger chain hit thats in fact not much stronger anyway. A waste of 3 hotkeys imho.

It'll honestly end up somewhere in a 2% dmg increase if you use the 2nd combo instead of not bothering with it at all. And in Dungeons, it's arguably even less because if you, for some reason, decide not to AoE, Chaos thrusting every mob (2+) will end up with you dealing *much* better DPS. So actually a DPS loss as long as your healer can still do DEEPS without focusing down something first.

They should also adress DoT clipping btw. It'd make certain rotational mistakes less impactful, yet still noticeable.
    Though, honestly, I don't know if they did that already?
    lol wut? continuously clipping chaos thrust would be retarded, especially one that's massively buffed in the opener. not to mention the 2nd combo is higher potency and doesn't rely on a positional.

Ah I see.

It's true it is easier to spot a bad dps in HW than it was in ARR.

I really hope they respect the summoner class in Stormblood tho... lemme summon more than 3 primordials pls

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Ah I see.

It's true it is easier to spot a bad dps in HW than it was in ARR.

I really hope they respect the summoner class in Stormblood tho... lemme summon more than 3 primordials pls
    Im still guessing alisaeas sword was actually ravana egi and its a temp weapon buff.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantas...ctures_146148/

Fanfest apparently had a big event for the new TCG because set 2 is largely FFXIV based and i cant wait for my cards to get here next week after seeing the great XIV cards i can add to my fire/earth deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Here I was thinking I was getting ahead by purchasing the base game and the expansion for $22 on Steam when I should have just tied HW on to my garbage SE account and ate the immediate subscription.

Character creation is pretty much fucked on all but the dead/low-pop servers like Famfrit, Malboro, Bryn, Exodus, and Diabolos. Want to play on Leviathan with all your friends? Better pay for a transfer or fuck off!

Ugh.
    Many of the high pop servers are locked during high activity time periods. It's possible to log on LATE at night or EARLY morning and get passed it. I understand it's a hassle, and wish they'd change it a bit, but there are alternatives to paying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also just before/after maintenance is also a good time to try and get onto high pop servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Uh ? Which class is considered too "high skill" ?

The difficulty seemed okay to me (maybe it changed since i've last played).

Thanks for the answer btw.

the RDM looks fun but I can already see those poor souls die to some random aoe with their built in dash-in, dash-out combo x)
    Depends on what you consider ok. The performance needed to achieve victory in savage encounters at entry lvl gear for example requires a pretty proficient execution of a classes mechanics. That includes paying attention to small details such as order of off gcd use. For the rest of the content it doesnt really matter but I m assuming they base class difficulty based on the most optimal way of playing the class.

Eagerly looking forward to getting back into FFXIV. I'm not really enjoying my time with World of Warcraft much, so I can't think of a better time to come back to a game I never even wanted to leave in the first place (Friends urged me to follow them back to WoW). I left off in Heavensward, having completed the dungeons offered at expansion launch and decking myself out in Esoteric gear (item level 180). I'm assuming I've got a lot of catching up to do, gear-wise and story-wise as well.

The new expansion looks pretty cool, love the oriental thematic. Sorry for asking any dumb questions, but is Heavensward more or less finished? Like the main story arc completed with no new raids or dungeons on the horizon? Any sort of gearing path I should take from where I'm at? I'm a casual level player, so I'm not exactly looking to push into Savage especially with the playtime I have available.

Technically its over but there's supposed to be a new primal fight coming out next week and there is a bit more story content coming but I'm not sure if thats next week.

As far as gear just go along side the story as it'll lead you to the patch dungeons which should steadily gear you up into the current content.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-02-21 at 04:40 AM.

Aah, okay! Thanks for the heads up. Think when I re-sub I won't just jump into instanced content, and probably do some hunts first to get re-acquainted with the game. Main class was DRK, but I'm thinking I may go SAM and embrace the 30-40 minute roulette queue life.

I really need to work on crafting professions, as glamour is also tied into it. They seem pretty tough though, so I'm wondering if there is any site to find a good guide like Warcraft has with WoW-Professions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    It's about 9 total (2 only usable with a certain buff up and it's chance which one you use) if I recall correctly.
    Can't login to count right now, but If I remember correctly you have 3 combos + 2 HW skills + 2 jumps + a boatload of cooldowns (though nothing trumps BRD in that department lol)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    should have never even been put in or even considered.
    Totally agreed, but apparently they were incapable of balancing a ranged class that has 100% freedom of movement against other classes that are heavily punished by it. So umm yeah. restricting your movement was their solution.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Depends on what you consider ok. The performance needed to achieve victory in savage encounters at entry lvl gear for example requires a pretty proficient execution of a classes mechanics. That includes paying attention to small details such as order of off gcd use. For the rest of the content it doesnt really matter but I m assuming they base class difficulty based on the most optimal way of playing the class.
    I don't know man. If you look at the design schism between stuff like Enochian and the constant "imma gonna hop away and leave you w/o any target whatsoever for 10+ seconds" nearly every boss does, one might come to the conclusion that they didn't think it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncertain Tea View Post
    Eagerly looking forward to getting back into FFXIV. I'm not really enjoying my time with World of Warcraft much, so I can't think of a better time to come back to a game I never even wanted to leave in the first place (Friends urged me to follow them back to WoW). I left off in Heavensward, having completed the dungeons offered at expansion launch and decking myself out in Esoteric gear (item level 180). I'm assuming I've got a lot of catching up to do, gear-wise and story-wise as well.

The new expansion looks pretty cool, love the oriental thematic. Sorry for asking any dumb questions, but is Heavensward more or less finished? Like the main story arc completed with no new raids or dungeons on the horizon? Any sort of gearing path I should take from where I'm at? I'm a casual level player, so I'm not exactly looking to push into Savage especially with the playtime I have available.
    From memory the MSQ and instanced content mandatory or worth doing once:
    Dugeons
    >Saint Moclainnes Arboretum
    >Pharos Sirius HM
    >The Antitower
    >Lost City of Amdapoor HM
    >Sohr Khai
    >Hullbreaker Isle HM
    >Xelphatol
    >Great Gubal library HM
    >Baelsars Wall
    >Sohm Al HM
    Trials
    >Sephirot the fiend
    >Sophia the Goddess
    >Zurvan the demon
    >The Final Steps of Faith
    Raids
    >Void Ark
    >Alexander of the father wings
    >Weeping City of Mhach
    >Alexander of the son wings
    >Alexander of the Creator wings
    >Dun Scathe

Your best best is run palace of the dead for some gil and a 235 weapon, maybe use the xp to level some alt jobs a bit for SB, then head over to wolves den and do the now super fast que pvp frontlines for marks to buy the new Garo tie in event 235 gear and you are ready for the current max dungeon roullettes and can do the story at your leisure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Im still guessing alisaeas sword was actually ravana egi and its a temp weapon buff.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantas...ctures_146148/

Fanfest apparently had a big event for the new TCG because set 2 is largely FFXIV based and i cant wait for my cards to get here next week after seeing the great XIV cards i can add to my fire/earth deck.
    I wish I A knee about the game sooner and B had people to play with

- - - Updated - - -

Aah, okay! Thanks for the heads up. Think when I re-sub I won't just jump into instanced content, and probably do some hunts first to get re-acquainted with the game. Main class was DRK, but I'm thinking I may go SAM and embrace the 30-40 minute roulette queue life.

I really need to work on crafting professions, as glamour is also tied into it. They seem pretty tough though, so I'm wondering if there is any site to find a good guide like Warcraft has with WoW-Professions?
    Try POTD I believe you get the quest in griddania should help you get reacquainted also you can join novice net as a returning player

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    lol wut? continuously clipping chaos thrust would be retarded, especially one that's massively buffed in the opener. not to mention the 2nd combo is higher potency and doesn't rely on a positional.
    Well, no. The potency difference between the 2 combos isn't big. Never said it's better/good, just saying that it's not huge and thus a waste of 3 buttons for a class that's already using ~24 keybinds.
    You might as well get the same result with ~2% more crit luck during an encounter.

And lets really not start talking about proper positioning as DRG. It has the easiest dance of them all - by a huge margin.. in fact, it's not even a dance at all... you stay 80% of the time on the back and thats it.
    You are in fact looking at a minor increase, as I mentioned.

The potency difference between the 2 chains is about ~6-7% or something (if you exclude ticks, which have 100% uptime either way). On top of that, you aren't even using chain A and B 50/50, but 60/40 or 70/30 due to encounter mechanics, adds etc. and it's always better to do the CT chain first whenever the boss disappears/an add spawns etc., because losing the debuff and DoT in the middle of your 2nd chain is a DPS loss - and DRG doesn't have any leeway whatsoever when it comes to these uptimes. Except for GREIKOSKGUGLASGL of course.

So, the skillcap isn't showing properly anyway. And it wouldn't show any less if you remove the "1" (-x-y-z) part of the combo, which is nothing but a filler/starter anyway that doesn't do jackshit. The difference between a world first class DRG and a good one is extremely minor in terms of rotations, it's all about GCD/Target uptime with that class. So the skillceiling is barely being affected by making the rotation "easier".

Most of the damage difference comes from chaining cooldowns the right/wrong way. Which is retarded.
    It's also the reason why I mentioned that they should adress DoT clipping and snapshotting. Because that is where most of the difference comes from.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-02-21 at 09:53 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Can't login to count right now, but If I remember correctly you have 3 combos + 2 HW skills + 2 jumps + a boatload of cooldowns (though nothing trumps BRD in that department lol)

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agreed, but apparently they were incapable of balancing a ranged class that has 100% freedom of movement against other classes that are heavily punished by it. So umm yeah. restricting your movement was their solution.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know man. If you look at the design schism between stuff like Enochian and the constant "imma gonna hop away and leave you w/o any target whatsoever for 10+ seconds" nearly every boss does, one might come to the conclusion that they didn't think it through.
    They did cause that stuff either happens too early or at a time where if you used your enochian/blood of the dragon right you ll be able to reaply it once the boss is down after dropping it. At least for most of the fights it works that way. If the time interval between the start of the fight and the boss disengage is too short you just done use it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Can't login to count right now, but If I remember correctly you have 3 combos + 2 HW skills + 2 jumps + a boatload of cooldowns (though nothing trumps BRD in that department lol
    The discussion was about the combo chains so I'm not sure why you're including the cool downs (that includes jumps). As in I specifically excluded those from the count because my point was specifically about combo chains in and of themselves being just fine in how long they are, so counting them to make your point just doesn't make much sense.

My original point (besides how most of the abilities in the combo chains have a use or valid reason for being there) is that the ability bloat comes from the amount of cooldowns (and believe me I get it when it comes to Bard as that is my main) so talking about trimming the already not very long combo chains isn't a solution worth pursuing.
    Last edited by Berethos08; 2017-02-21 at 02:04 PM.

We have one more story patch to set the stage for our joining the resistance to liberate both Ala Mhigo and part of Othard. And as Aruhen said, that final trial will. They won't be next week. They'll be in March.

Gear wise, you can do PvP, which isn't that bad, for quick grabs of the Garo gear that will jump your ilvl quite high from 180. From there you should be able to march through the MSQ and do the new dungeons no problem. You can then go with scripture grinding, Void Ark/Weeping City/Dun Scaith gear, or Alexander to work on gearing up further if you choose.

For crafting, they have the Moogle crafting quests which are akin to the Ixal quests in 2.x series. That's going to be huge xp boosts each day for you. Unless you never worked on crafting, in which case you can do Ixal quests first.

http://www.ffxivguild.com also has good crafting guides for quick leveling. Tells you what they consider are the best bang for buck leves, etc.

Thank you so much dope_danny, Sorrior, and Faroth for the replies! Definitely going to look into these sorts of things. My brother is also thinking of playing the game, and a friend is going to jump ship from Warcraft too.

One thing that kind of worries me is that, as a tank, I've forgotten so many of the dungeon paths and fight mechanics. Kind of experiencing some anxiety over this, so I am considering sliding into a DPS role since I want to roll as SAM anyway.

I wonder what their plans are for the inventory system. Just a flat increase to inventory space, or something else in mind?