Poll: Do you follow the plot and/or lore?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you follow the in-game story?

Something has irked me recently, and it's become clear that nobody I encounter, either in guild or pug bothers to follow the story whatsoever. Even if they've never seen or heard it before, everyone talks over audio dialogue and skips the cinematics.

There was even a conversation in my guild during a raid one time where someone asked who khadgar was, and the most accurate reply was "I think its some mob". When we first killed Xavius and got transported to the emerald dream half the guild were going "WTF why are we in a forest now?" even when Cenarius is explaining right in front of their face.

When aspects of the current plot or background lore comes up, nobody knows anything about it and it's clear they're not even remotely interested, brushing it off as just "RP stuff". I struggle to understand how someone can play a game like Wow and not at least follow the plot. I'm not super into the story or anything, and you dont really have to be in order to follow it, but I do want to know what's going on, and I do want to hear all the NPC's and watch the cinematics. It seems I'm something of a rarity?

Do you keep up with the current story, and listen to raid dialogue/watch cinematics, or do you just ignore it all?
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2017-02-21 at 04:32 AM.

Don't give a shit, but with Legion's "do fucking everything or you don't get shit" philosophy I've been paying more attention to it by proxy. I still mostly ignore it though.

it is part of the game, so yeah's. Why would you play this game if you didn't follow the story?

/mind boggled

Deleted
    Honestly it depends, I'm not a fan of Khadgar so anything related to him I just skip. He was depicted perfectly in TBC, ever since the office purge before Cata I've been seeing these background characters getting pushed into supreme relevance out of the blue.

They're just turning semi-important characters into power rangers and I'll be having none of that, I skip the dialogues and everything else.

I stopped to follow the lore scheme when it first dealt with "Thrall, the Green Jesus" so basically since forever, which is a shame.

I haven't had a clue about what was happening or why since Wrath and don't really care. The only reason I have some idea of who some of these people are is because of BC. And Khadgar has just been around for a while now..

But I couldn't begin to tell you why the legion is corrupting the dream or why we are doing anything in Suramar. Don't know what Nighthold is supposed to be or why Guldan is hanging out in it..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    it is part of the game, so yeah's. Why would you play this game if you didn't follow the story?

/mind boggled
    Because we are just trying to hang on to something we used to enjoy but can't admit we've lost interest? Not that it used to be better, just lost interest.. It's like trying to dump a gf you've had for a while..

7+ Year Old Account
    I do, and I've done so for a while - even the quests that makes me raise an eyebrow.

Like in Icecrown - when a Draenei gets eaten by a Frostwyrm and then you get to collect his bodyparts. And a gnome Death Knight 'sews' him back to life (Not undeath, it was a revival).

Never cared about the story, lore, races background, etc. All NPCs could just be giant talking slugs as far as I care.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think that the story is very important when it comes to gamejoy. I try to understand as much of the story as possible and not just only the CKS.

But i do understand if many players don't know what the hell is going on and who the hell our friendly NPCs are. Atm the CKS is very poor and so little information is given through the game. Unless you follow on up books, comics, short cinematics and more, then you would not really understand the story atm. Like who is Khadgar and why does he help us? If you joined the game after TBC, you have no idea who Maiev is and why she is important. What is the emerald dream? Unless you read several books, you would proberly just be lost.

So all in all Blizzard really sucks at telling their own story to the player character and if you only consume the WoW game as a medium and not anything else, you can't really follow the story at all.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    I don't exactly read quest texts, but i do watch cinematics and read the lore online later on.

Yep, I follow the story closely. Have done so since WC3. I even bought a hard copy of Chronicle, it's actually really nice. Overall I adore lore in general.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

Deleted
    Somewhat. I used to read all quest logs, but the story got generic and bland and I can't be arsed anymore. I like the pop-up storytelling, and I know what's happening in a general sense, but the nuance of subzones are lost on me.

There were only 3 questlines in Legion that caught my interest enough to actually invest in them: that of Runas the Shamed, Huln Highmountain and all of Suramar.
    I got to say though, Suramar is great in every way.

Well, I do read the quests and watch the cinematics the first time around, but I still don't understand the story. Way too much of it happens outside of the game, which sucks, so I'm usually at a loss of what's going on. And then we have something like Suramar, with some great stories and they end in dungeons I can't do, so I still don't know what's happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    I think that the story is very important when it comes to gamejoy. I try to understand as much of the story as possible and not just only the CKS. (...)
    What is CKS?

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's a big part of the game, warcraft 1,2,3 and WoW are a huge 23 year game-story so far.

Warcraft lore as a whole isn't any smaller then tolkien/harry potter etc, it's just not as commonly known due to having only 1 movie so far which wasn't that easy to get into for newcomers.

I try to, I don't read every single quest because let's face it, I'd still be leveling if I did.
    I do try to read major questlines and follow the lore as a whole but there are gaps in my knowledge.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    its one of my favourite parts of WoW and the main reason I don't rush to max level with new expacs, I absorb the story as much as possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Well, I do read the quests and watch the cinematics the first time around, but I still don't understand the story. Way too much of it happens outside of the game, which sucks, so I'm usually at a loss of what's going on. And then we have something like Suramar, with some great stories and they end in dungeons I can't do, so I still don't know what's happening.

- - - Updated - - -

What is CKS?
    Character Known Story. Pretty much what lore/story your player character would know if you asked them.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Considering the story is what got me to buy this game 12 years ago, yeah, I still follow it =P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Do you keep up with the current story, and listen to raid dialogue/watch cinematics, or do you just ignore it all?
    It's not very good, so I don't really follow it too much. I kinda know the main events (like why we're in Nighthold etc), but I can't say I'm very interested - it's a very simple story, with no nuance (evil guys are evil, good guys are good.. yawn).

I think it probably works for younger audiences and the storytelling medium of MMOs is a bit limited. Sometimes I wish there was more story and that it was a bit more mature than the typical comicbook good/evil fight - but then again.. WoW is just that.. easily digested pop-culture entertainment.. so I'm not really expecting very deep storylines.

It's ok I guess, but I don't really follow it. It's too bland.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't still be playing the game if it weren't for the lore and current story lines.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk