Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    It wasn't, so please clarify what it is specifically you're looking for.
    Then you will have no problem providing proof that all our tax money is going to him traveling to his own property.
    10characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Not sure what else I expected

Noone claimed that all of your tax money was going to his property. It obviously goes towards other things like education, defense etc too. I don't think anyone even claimed that all of his vacation expenses are going to him, obviously only a portion of it is. He can't siphon things like secret service salaries or plane fares into his pockets.

I still find that pretty morally dubious, though. Want some more money? Np, just take another holiday !

But he said he would drain the swamp

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Well, Joe Biden factually did so....
    True. And the deal came under scrutiny by Taxpayer watchdogs. On the upside, Biden had to file Taxes regarding how much he made off the rent the Secret Service paid, so maybe this will finally get us a look at Trump's tax returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    True. And the deal came under scrutiny by Taxpayer watchdogs. On the upside, Biden had to file Taxes regarding how much he made off the rent the Secret Service paid, so maybe this will finally get us a look at Trump's tax returns.
    Obviously I am aware of the Biden news story. How else would I have known this bit of trivia?

Regarding seeing tax returns, what on earth makes you think that will happen? Biden volunteered his taxes. Trump will never do that. It's not law so, nobody can make him do it.

That said, Trump did commit to donating the stays of officials to the US Treasury. But, I'm not sure if the Secret Service stays count for that or not. However, since that money will need to be transferred to the government, we can find out if that ever happens or not.

I'm not defending Trump over taking vacations every weekend. There is a clear issue there, were this pace to hold up for 4 years. There is also a clear issue with him taking them at at public place, even if the club is private. That clearly drives the cost up, as well as the risk.

It's the security of his kids complaint that I take issue with. It's not a fair argument, in any way, to compare the costs of providing security to two adults and two children who live in the White House, with the costs of providing security to 6 adults, and their spouses, only one of which lives in the White House. Of course it costs more. In other news, buying additional tacos also costs more.

I just fail to recall any complaints about the costs of jet setting Bill Clinton around, or the costs of protecting any former presidents or their families. It's a national security issue, plain and simple. So, I think the notion that somehow the Trumps are profiting from this, or engaged in moral wrong doing, is just flat ridiculous. Even though there is no blind trust, he has pledged to donate all profits from official stays at his properties to the government. If he doesn't actually do that, then it would be a pretty big scandal.

I would love to see you try to flesh out this argument that somehow a blind trust would increase security or lower the costs of it. I have no idea what you are on about there.

I agree that Camp David is a much more appropriate weekend get away, both in security and security costs. It's the kid security complaints I find silly.
    This line should be enough I think to put into perspective what a blind trust would do

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9f4c04964dad

Trump loyalist Rudolph W. Giuliani seemed to acknowledge in a CNN interview Sunday that it wasn't an ideal set-up. But then he offered a remarkable defense. "He would basically put his children out of work if — and they'd have to go start a whole new business, and that would set up the whole — set up new problems," Giuliani said on "State of the Union."
    That's the idea though you put his children out of their jobs so that their is no conflict of intrest, his children who are working for the businesses owned by Trump wouldn't rehire his children if put into a blind trust, his children wouldn't even be able to stay at their own hotels even if they wanted to because they wouldn't know which hotels belongs ''their vader.''

And that's the whole messed up thing people complained about him not even bothering putting his assets into a blind trust. He may not have entered into his presidency as a billionaire but if he keeps this up he may become one.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    This line should be enough I think to put into perspective what a blind trust would do

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9f4c04964dad

That's the idea though you put his children out of their jobs so that their is no conflict of intrest, his children who are working for the businesses owned by Trump wouldn't rehire his children if put into a blind trust, his children wouldn't even be able to stay at their own hotels even if they wanted to because they wouldn't know which hotels belongs ''their vader.''

And that's the whole messed up thing people complained about him not even bothering putting his assets into a blind trust. He may not have entered into his presidency as a billionaire but if he keeps this up he may become one.
    The blind trust thing has been soundly defeated with logic, from a multitude of different angles. The short answer is, there is no simple solution that accomplishes the goals of a blind trust. Furthermore, it's hard to forget that the building you live in, that has your name on it, is owned by you. It's hard to forget that the branding of your own name, is in fact owned by you.

Besides, he doesn't have to do it if he doesn't want to. He will never change his mind so, the point is moot. Will it give him trouble, and lead to legal challenges? Absolutely it will.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-02-21 at 08:10 AM.

The blind trust thing has been soundly defeated with logic, from a multitude of different angles. The short answer is, there is no simple solution that accomplishes the goals of a blind trust. Furthermore, it's hard to forget that the building you live in, that has your name on it, is owned by you. It's hard to forget that the branding of your own name, is in fact owned by you.

Besides, he doesn't have to do it if he doesn't want to. He will never change his mind so, the point is moot. Will it give him trouble, and lead to legal challenges? Absolutely it will.
    What do you mean defeated? Refusing to put it into a trust isn't calling defeating it based on logic it's just refusing to do it because you want to make money off it.

But then lets go back to this

You're contradicting yourself with his.

Oh since he won't change his self profiting we should just ignore it...Obama said when he was leaving office that he wanted Trump to succeed, you want to have at least some standard when electing a president.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    What do you mean defeated? Refusing to put it into a trust isn't calling defeating it based on logic it's just refusing to do it because you want to make money off it.

But then lets go back to this

You're contradicting yourself with his.

Oh since he won't change his self profiting we should just ignore it...Obama said when he was leaving office that he wanted Trump to succeed, you want to have at least some standard when electing a president.
    You don't seem to have followed the news story. I can't rehash a complicated debate we had back then, in as little time as I am willing to spend discussing this now.

I have no idea what you are on about with saying I'm contradicting myself. I also have no fucking clue what "self profiting" means. Even blind trusts make money. They don't just stick cash in a mattress somewhere, guy. Obama didn't stop collecting his book royalties, and it would be ridiculous to expect him to have done that. There is no expectation or requirement that a US president can't make any money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obama didn't stop collecting his book royalties, and it would be ridiculous to expect him to have done that.
    Obama didn't direct foreign or domestic policy to increase his book royalties.

The DoD didn't run out and buy a bunch of Obama's book to protect it, but they are leasing space in Trump Tower.

Obama didn't fly his books, guarded by the Secret Service, to a book signing in another country.

Trump left the UAE off his Muslim Ban because he was opening a golf course in Dubai. Terrorists from the UAE have killed 314 more Americans than the 7 countries he's banning combined.

Obama didn't double the price of his book when he was elected.

Your false parallel is poor. Try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Obama didn't direct foreign or domestic policy to increase his book royalties.

The DoD didn't run out and buy a bunch of Obama's book to protect it, but they are leasing space in Trump Tower.

Obama didn't fly his books, guarded by the Secret Service, to a book signing in another country.

Trump left the UAE off his Muslim Ban because he was opening a golf course in Dubai. Terrorists from the UAE have killed 314 more Americans than the 7 countries he's banning combined.

Obama didn't double the price of his book when he was elected.

Your false parallel is poor. Try harder.
    Meh, I'm not that committed to the derail topic. Plus, defense of public figures isn't really my bag. I prefer to attack others for silly things they say. So, let's get started, shall we?

Trump left the UAE off the travel ban list, because the list is not about payback for the past crimes of private citizens, who may happen to hail from this country or that one. The ban is about the fact that are nations who are either too corrupt to trust their word, or nations that are literally on fire right now as we speak.

Look at it this way, every nation on the ban list has a current travel advisory in effect for US citizens, and UAE does not. Our government, since before Trump, has been advising us that we are not safe if we travel to these places. If we are not safe to be around their citizens in their homeland, why should be not take extra care to ensure when their citizens come here, we are as safe as we were before they arrived?

My question is rhetorical; I don't actually care to debate this topic much, and it's a derail. Feel free to not answer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Can't believe so many people got trolled so easily by the British equivalent to the National Enquirer. Gullible minds want to know! And Elvis is still alive and well, saw him last week riding a moped. Swear it was him.
    Washington post

In New York, the city is paying $500,000 a day to guard Trump Tower, according to police officials’ estimates, an amount that could reach $183 million a year.
    This month, The Post reported that Secret Service and U.S. Embassy staffers paid nearly $100,000 in hotel-room bills to support Eric Trump’s trip to promote a Trump-brand condo tower in Uruguay.
    Judicial Watch estimated that Obama-related travel expenses totaled nearly $97 million over eight years.

But based on the first four weeks, Trump’s presidency appears on track to cost hundreds of millions of dollars more.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    In other news, if you buy more tacos, the bill goes up.

The Obamas all lived in the same house. The Trump family is much larger, and they have spouses and children of their own. Trump should not vacation every weekend but, asking his adult children to not travel is pretty unreasonable, imho. They were not elected, and no doubt the security detail is a burden, not a benefit. The purpose of providing his family security is for national security more than their personal security. If something were to happen to them, it could be very serious. Wars have started for less.

Not mentioned in the article, is that there likely is some some rudimentary security being provided at all his real estate properties, just because his name is on them.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-02-21 at 09:46 AM.

Another thing to consider with Trump going to Florida every weekend is part of the city and airport having to be shut down. Businesses are losing thousands of dollars every weekend Trump goes down there.

In other news, if you buy more tacos, the bill goes up.

The Obamas all lived in the same house. The Trump family is much larger, and they have spouses and children of their own. Trump should not vacation every weekend but, asking his adult children to not travel is pretty unreasonable, imho. They were not elected, and no doubt the security detail is a burden, not a benefit. The purpose of providing his family security is for national security more than their personal security. If something were to happen to them, it could be very serious. Wars have started for less.

Not mentioned in the article, is that there likely is some some rudimentary security being provided at all his real estate properties, just because his name is on them.
    Yeah please continue to handwave away the underlying hypocrisy in which the party crying about fiscal responsibility is wasting taxpayer money magnitudes larger than his predecessor(of whom he criticized too).
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    No - the death knell was allowing Liberals to run this country for 8 years. Thankfully, the REAL Americans rose up in this country and saved it from being turned into a welfare state. We elected President Donal J. Trump. He won.

LOL - sorry, we are the BEST of this country. We SAVED this country. The liberal/progressives have been stripped of their power and that is the best thing that could have EVER happened to this country.

The Democrats are completely impotent now (thank God.) The Republicans basically control the entire country now.

Bye, Felicia.
    You and your bunch of deplorables should probably lay low, we know how mid term elections go, and we all know that when Democrats have the majority, they'll need 1 republican to start Trump's impeachment, right now, there's 3 republicans that have recently swayed towards impeaching him and remember, that's only 14 left to start his impeachment even before the results of the mid term elections in 2018.

During impeachment trials, they can dig out every little piece of dirt about him and you should be scared of it, because if you think Hillary had a lot of skeletons, Trump is probably going to have far more than her and it's likely that he has committed acts against the best interest of the USA over the years, by violating numerous of trade embargo's without having the permission (ie special license) to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Yeah please continue to handwave away the underlying hypocrisy in which the party crying about fiscal responsibility is wasting taxpayer money magnitudes larger than his predecessor(of whom he criticized too).
    Where did I do that? I have said repeatedly that Trump should not leave Washington every weekend.

Regarding the kids, are you proposing that they should never leave their house for 8 years, or that they should just get no security? Do you have this same standard for Chelsea Clinton?

Deleted
    Also :

1. Every day that Melania Trump stays in NYC it costs the city around 1 million dollars to protect the first lady and her son.
    1a. If she decides to go outside add another 250k to that daily bill.

2. She flies over to Washington once per week and it's reported 2 hour return trip costs around 2-3 million dollars per week.

Safe to say by the time she moves in, her security costs will double Donald's.

Where did I do that? I have said repeatedly that Trump should not leave Washington every weekend.

Regarding the kids, are you proposing that they should never leave their house for 8 years, or that they should just get no security? Do you have this same standard for Chelsea Clinton?
    By downplaying the impact of Trump's wasteful spending with that idiotic taco reference? Sigh alt righters and their alternative logic.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future