Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Iran bans chess grandmaster Dorsa Derakhshani for not wearing hijab.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/i.../1/887830.html

Dorsa Derakhshani, an 18-year-old member of the Iranian Women’s National Chess Team and the sixth world champion in under-18 games, was expelled from the national team for not covering her hair in the Tradewise Gibraltar Chess Festival, which was held in late January and early February 2017, Iranian media quoted Mehrdad Pahlevanzadeh, head of Iran’s Chess Federation..
    So these offences didnt even happen in Iran.. Yet they still get punished?
    Last edited by Trollhammer; 2017-02-21 at 10:56 AM.

What kind of dumb question is this? She was representing her country, and chose to not follow their tradition when doing so, so she was removed from their team. It doesn't matter what country she was in.

Why is this even a thread?

I'm sure their national chess team has rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    What kind of dumb question is this? She was representing her country, and chose to not follow their tradition when doing so, so she was removed from their team. It doesn't matter what country she was in.

Maybe she felt like not being oppressed while not being in an oppresive country. Perhaps she holds no religious beliefs?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I'm sure their national chess team has rules.
    So has ours. Like you have to play chess real well. Headwear is not known to enhance reasoning.

15+ Year Old Account

So you agree women should be told how to dress by religious mandate? Dos that mean the foreign woman (In the Women's World Chess Championship) won't have to wear the Hijab in Iran since they will be representing their country?
    Last edited by Trollhammer; 2017-02-21 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    Maybe she felt like not being oppressed while not being in an oppresive country. Perhaps she holds no religious beliefs?
    I think what that guy meant is that stuff like this is to be expected. Iran is a backwards country with backwards beliefs so you can't be that surprised stuff like this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    That's all well and good, but she, as I said, was representing her country. If there was an agreement with the team beforehand that she didn't have to wear the clothing, then that would be another story entirely. However, this wasn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    So you agree women should be told how to dress by religious mandate? Dos that mean the foreign woman won't have to wear the Hijab in Iran since they will be representing their country?
    Nope. I'm saying she knew the rules of her country, and openly chose to not abide by them while representing them abroad. And was appropriately punished for it. She was kicked out a team, not thrown in prison. Also, what? Why would foreign women have to? Unless those foreign women are also from Muslim countries.

When someone says why is this even a thread, it makes me wonder inside if they are stupid or just passive aggressive. If you don't think this deserves mention, why are you responding? Are you so timid that you have to resort to half baked gestures?

A brilliant chess player is being reprimanded for not hiding her hair. That is news. A regime isn't permanent, and all rules aren't sacrosanct.

I agree. Good for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    So has ours. Like you have to play chess real well. Headwear is not known to enhance reasoning.
    It is not at all uncommon for national teams to have clothing requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    So you agree women should be told how to dress by religious mandate? Dos that mean the foreign woman (In the Women's World Chess Championship) won't have to wear the Hijab in Iran since they will be representing their country?
    I agree with him, why is this even a question?
    The rules of the iranean chess team is to cover their hair no matter where they are, or they get expelled. And same applies the other way, if you want to participate in the chess championship in Iran you have to cover your hair or face consequences. That's it, that's all there is to say, everyone knows Iran is a religious and therefor seen backwards country, that's not news.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I'm saying she knew the rules of her country, and openly chose to not abide by them while representing them abroad. And was appropriately punished for it. She was kicked out a team, not thrown in prison. Also, what? Why would foreign women have to? Unless those foreign women are also from Muslim countries.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1f2752e2e1ea

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyflute View Post
    When someone says why is this even a thread
    I actually asked what kind of dumb question was it, as it was blatantly obvious in the article why she was reprimanded.

You're right however; I don't think it deserves a mention. It's a pretty cut and dry case: she didn't follow the rules of her team, and was subsequently removed from it. Simple. Nothing more, nothing less. Given it's Iran, they could've done a lot worse.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, Maybe another country will Sponsor her and she can leave the shithole and go to a country where she isn't treated like property.

Also, she is gorgeous its a shame she's forced into covering up.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    OH, what an unfortunate name that girl has.

Banned for playing against israel lol, reminds me of that guy who refused to bow to a israeli in martial arts, so much sportsmanship. Maby it was a egyptian but ive seen iranians refuce to even compete against israelis.

Also she should not be forced to wear some headpiece.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2017-02-21 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I guess she won't go to Israel for vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    It is not at all uncommon for national teams to have clothing requirements.
    It is not. Legally speaking, if it was written into the dress code then the team is in the right. But that does not make it any less oppressive. Slavery was legal a century and a half ago in (some of) the Western world, remember?

Just some legal wrangling: I wonder if the team actually had rules for the hijab. I would find it entirely credible if it turned out they haven't and were just relying on the country's general oppressive religious code to keep the players' heads covered. But of course those would not apply abroad! So what if they were merely expecting to women to be obedient and well-behaved and this is a tantrum after finding out she wasn't?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Ooh, I remember reading about that name

Interesting pick really.