Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Crucial MX300 275GB VS Samsung Evo 850 250GB

Hi :-)
    I always used Samsung SSDs on all my builds, i need to upgrade an old SSD to a bigger one on my main PC, giving the two units in the title costs the same, do you reckon there is any major difference (beside the GB difference) in the two?
    Any raccomandations from users that actually tried them both?
    Performances wise i don't really think there would be any big difference, but i'm just guessing.

Thank you.

they are both considered among the best you can buy so either should be fine.

850 evo is faster in random read/write (considerably faster in 4K mixed) and it has a longer warranty (5 years).

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've had all Crucial SATA SSDs but now also have a Samsung NVME m.2 SSD...

Honestly? Go for whichever one is cheaper. Both brands are stellar. They're both SSD monsters. No one else quite compares to these two. I just wish Crucial would hurry up and get on the NVMe train... I feel like it's passing them by. =/

Thinking about buying a second Samsung NVMe right now, actually...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I've had all Crucial SATA SSDs but now also have a Samsung NVME m.2 SSD...

Honestly? Go for whichever one is cheaper. Both brands are stellar. They're both SSD monsters. No one else quite compares to these two. I just wish Crucial would hurry up and get on the NVMe train... I feel like it's passing them by. =/

Thinking about buying a second Samsung NVMe right now, actually...
    I think Crucial is waiting for the M2 to be more stable. I had to send my first Evo 960 250 GB back for RMA, because it just stoped working and if you google M2 problems, you can see that alot of people are having problems with there M2s. I hope the new one will work without any problems.

it would be cool to see Crucial on the M2 market with some good low prize M2s
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    I think Crucial is waiting for the M2 to be more stable. I had to send my first Evo 960 250 GB back for RMA, because it just stoped working and if you google M2 problems, you can see that alot of people are having problems with there M2s. I hope the new one will work without any problems.

it would be cool to see Crucial on the M2 market with some good low prize M2s
    Crucial is actually already on the M.2 platform, just not PCIE based NVMe but SATA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Crucial is actually already on the M.2 platform, just not PCIE based NVMe but SATA.
    I know, but i don't really call them M2's. They are the same speed as normal SSD's and thats why i wont call them M2's and i really don't understand why they and others make them. Either go full M2 or don't
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    I know, but i don't really call them M2's. They are the same speed as normal SSD's and thats why i wont call them M2's and i really don't understand why they and others make them. Either go full M2 or don't
    You are not making any sense. M.2 is the connection. SATA and NVMe are the interface. That is it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    You are not making any sense. M.2 is the connection. SATA and NVMe are the interface. That is it.
    I mean why make Sata SSD's for the M2 slot, when they don't use the NVMe interface. You are just wasting PCI-E lanes and only getting normal SSD speed, when not using a NVMe ssd in the M2 slot

And every body knows what a person means when he says M2. Very few people say NVMe. They just say M2
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2017-02-21 at 08:58 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean why make Sata SSD's for the M2 slot, when they don't use the NVMe interface. You are just wasting PCI-E lanes and only getting normal SSD speed, when not using a NVMe ssd in the M2 slot

And every body knows what a person means when he says M2. Very few people say NVMe. They just say M2
    Mostly only people that do not know the difference or CBA knowing the difference call only the PCIE-based NVMe M.2 and not the SATA one.

They both are very real and both are M.2, it is simply how it is connected.
    Whether you call them that or not is highly irrelevant as the fact of the matter is that it is a genuine M.2 item and connection.

The difference is that it is not wasting any PCIE lanes as when it detects SATA mode it goes through the SATA controller, the PCIE lanes are still available for use and will not diminish just because it's connected to it.

The closest you could've said was it wasting the M.2 slot when it could be inhabited by a PCIE-based NVMe and even then you'd be wrong still.
    As DeltrusDisc was the first to bring it up and you replying to him about it and he also made the very same distinction between NVMe and SATA standards on M.2.

I've built quite a few PCs using the prior mSATA connectors and I've built them using M.2 SATA ... they are both fantastic and do their job and are very good for not creating any cable management issues as they don't actually need cables.

Remember: Just because YOU think they are a waste does not mean the plethora of builders out there do.

I also agree that sata m.2 have almost no reason to exist. Only situation i can think of is a tiny form factor build in something like this:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811129185

Otherwise people should stick to normal 2.5" ssd's in regular sized builds, unless of course they pony up for pci-e m.2 drive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I also agree that sata m.2 have almost no reason to exist. Only situation i can think of is a tiny form factor build in something like this:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811129185

Otherwise people should stick to normal 2.5" ssd's in regular sized builds, unless of course they pony up for pci-e m.2 drive.
    So your belief is to stick with 2,5" drives into something that you can put away without the use of cables if the size is MicroATX or bigger (since you put Mini-ITX as example)?
    That's very short-sighted actually...

Crucial MX300 525GB 2,5" SATA SSD
    Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 SATA SSD

If you have the option to and it saves you cabling through the PC you would rather use the 2,5" drive than use the M.2 form factor?
    Any real technician would cringe at that very thought.

You will literally argue against any opinion i have, this time your sticking point is cabling lol?

Heat my dude, m.2's get particularly hot because they dont have fans blowing right at them like a 2.5" ssd would sitting in a HDD bay and placement of the m.2 slot on the board.

Sata m.2's are very very rare use case parts, and 99.99999% of people should NOT be using them.

15+ Year Old Account
    You will literally argue against any opinion i have, this time your sticking point is cabling lol?

Heat my dude, m.2's get particularly hot because they dont have fans blowing right at them like a 2.5" ssd would sitting in a HDD bay and placement of the m.2 slot on the board.

Sata m.2's are very very rare use case parts, and 99.99999% of people should NOT be using them.
    Because your opinion is literally incorrect.

Yes the PCIE-based NVMe have more of a heat "issue" than SATA based ones because the controller required doesn't need to be as powerful.
    M.2 SATA SSDs get just as "hot" as a normal 2,5" SATA SSD and having to point out that they do not overheat, they are literally the same as mSATA which do not overheat either just in a different form factor.

SATA M.2 are also not even remotely rare, they are readily available as a normal item and not using them is retarded.

Also my point of cable management ... yes it's a proper point as it doesn't require me attaching a power cable from my PSU nor a SATA cable to my motherboard.

You are making VASTLY different incorrect assumptions about heat, form factor and rarity and use.

I will repeat this for you:
    M.2 form factor does not equalize heat generation between different controller based SSDs, a M.2 SATA SSD will not generate near the heat generated by a high-throughput PCIE-based NVMe M.2 SSD because of the VASTLY different architectures and controllers required to operate them.
    M.2 SATA SSDs are also not rare and should be used if the buyer wants to if he doesn't want to deal with cables or just thinks it looks cool.
    There are no downsides to using an M.2 SATA SSD vs. a 2,5" SATA SSD.

You are a piece of work dude lol.

Is your brain even capable of seeing other people viewpoints?

Regardless of whether a pci-e based m.2 drive gets hotter than a sata based one (that wasnt the question at hand, dont know why you took it there) they DO get hotter with less cooling than a 2.5" drive would, and THAT was my point. If you have the room for a 2.5" drive you should get that instead of a m.2 sata drive, its that simple. And most cases absolutely have room for a 2.5" ssd with a fan pointing right at it.

And i never said sata m.2 drives were rare, i said they should be very rare use case parts. The problem is people are confused about m.2 drives and dont realize that a 2.5" form factor would have been a much better choice if they are sticking with sata models.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-02-21 at 04:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Regardless of whether a pci-e based m.2 drive gets hotter than a sata based one (that wasnt the question at hand, dont know why you took it there) they DO get hotter with less cooling than a 2.5" drive would, and THAT was my point. If you have the room for a 2.5" drive you should get that instead of a m.2 sata drive, its that simple. And most cases absolutely have room for a 2.5" ssd with a fan pointing right at it.

And i never said sata m.2 drives were rare, i said they should be very rare use case parts. The problem is people are confused about m.2 drives and dont realize that a 2.5" form factor would have been a much better choice if they are sticking with sata models.
    You'd get salty too if you constantly tried correcting the mass amounts of users that that are actually pretty ignorant concerning the components in their PCs.

I bought a Sandisk x400 512g M2 for my main drive in my new AMD PC I'll be building in a month or three here soon because my MB has an open slot for it so why the fuck not. Now I have room in the case for two more regular SSDs in addition to the one I already own.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    You'd get salty too if you constantly tried correcting the mass amounts of users that that are actually pretty ignorant concerning the components in their PCs.

I bought a Sandisk x400 512g M2 for my main drive in my new AMD PC I'll be building in a month or three here soon because my MB has an open slot for it so why the fuck not. Now I have room in the case for two more regular SSDs in addition to the one I already own.
    Again, there is a reason and that reason is HEAT. These things arent cheap, why would you get m.2 if it isnt pci-e if you have the room for a 2.5" drive? It legit makes zero sense to do so. They arent faster than regular sata ssd's, there is no benefit besides form factor and ill repeat who does not have a good spot to stick a 2.5" drive that would have a fan blowing directly on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, there is a reason and that reason is HEAT. These things arent cheap, why would you get m.2 if it isnt pci-e if you have the room for a 2.5" drive? It legit makes zero sense to do so. They arent faster than regular sata ssd's, there is no benefit besides form factor and ill repeat who does not have a good spot to stick a 2.5" drive that would have a fan blowing directly on it?
    See, you're assuming I didn't take those points into consideration already (I did, not a big deal tbh), don't know what my fan set up will be (x4 120 SP fans, more than enough case cooling for a Matx Fractal case), and assuming I didn't already know it isn't faster (I did, just didn't care, saves a slot for later).

I know exactly what and why I bought my equipment for thank you very much.

Who's the real piece of work here now?

Yeah....
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    See, you're assuming I didn't take those points into consideration already (I did, not a big deal tbh), don't know what my fan set up will be (x4 120 SP fans, more than enough case cooling for a Matx Fractal case), and assuming I didn't already know it isn't faster (I did, just didn't care, saves a slot for later).

I know exactly what and why I bought my equipment for thank you very much.

Who's the real piece of work here now?

Yeah....
    You arent getting the point here my dude. There is no reason a person should be selecting a sata based m.2 drive over a 2.5" form factor unless they simply do not have room in their case for a 2.5" drive. There are no arguments to be had that a sata m.2 is superior in any use case other than a tiny form factor pc where you simply do not have room for a 2.5" drive (like the antec case i linked above).

15+ Year Old Account

That is a question better asked of you because you're incapable of seeing anything beyond what you think is right and only should be right.

Funny as you directly state that M.2 SSDs get particularly hot because of lack of air stream, I called bull as I can tell you that they feel at most luke warm under full load when you're dealing with an M.2 SATA SSD, they do not get hot period and whether they are in a 2,5" enclosure or not is irrelevant.. do you think it matters when for example the Samsung 850 series is in a plastic shell and the case not serving as a heatsink but as an actual heat trap even with air blowing over them (properties of plastic) or then in an M.2 slot? It doesn't matter at all and stating otherwise is complete and utter bull.

And this is exactly where you are wrong and fail to realize it.
    Tell me specifically and exactly WHY they should be very rare use case parts because of the "negatives" you keep referring to as 2,5" are so much better.
    Heat isn't one of them as operating around 30 degrees C, in their respective M.2 slot "away from airflow", is way under the 80 - 90 degree controller threshold.

I'll eagerly await that list.