Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    I want a challenge, but not for the sake of a challenge. I want an authentic challenge, not, here that was too easy so we boosted all the numbers up. If there is no reward other than the challenge (which is essentially what mythic is) I'm not interested long-term. I don't consider skins or numbers content. The challenge isn't my motivation, but the journey should be a "challenge".
    mythic isn't just boosted numbers a lot of the encounters i've tried and seen videos for seem like they have entirely different mechanics, at least the tactics that work for normal and heroic do not work for all mythic encounters, it isn't just a number tweak, its also a mechanics tweak. for most if not all of them have some extra mechanic or feature that has to be worked into your tactic.

in the past there was only 1 version of the content so if you blitzed through it you were stuck farming that faceroll raid until they released a whole new tier.

the challenge is always going to be a challenge for the sake of being a challenge. because its inherently designed that way. we have 13 classes with a myriad of abilities and so they create encounters where the best use of those abilities are required to down the boss. intimate knowledge of your character is required to progress. the difficulty today mostly comes from dodging one shot mechanics and dps checks. everything else has been the same for years, dodge fire, interrupt casts, kill adds, kite something, tank swaps. every single boss fight is a remix of mechanics some old some new.

but that is what new tiers of raids are anyway, just number tweaks, they take your raids theoretical output from one tier and create boss encounters around that for the next tier.

normal en/tov are about the same difficulty as raid finder/normal nighthold, heroic nighthold is about on par with mythic en. the raids that drop the same ilvl have roughly the same difficulty and requirements.

heroic ToS will probably be about on par with mythic nighthold, perhaps not mechanically but number wise, it will be. they will likely also only be separated by 5-10 ilvls on the base drops.

I never did any challenge modes either, But i missed WoD because ppl were constantly complaining about various things, I like mythic + because you have a scaling challenge that requires only 5 ppl. you can farm them if you want or you can just run your 1x 15 for the week and be done with them. I think its great that 5 man groups can progress, every form of progression in the game is a funnel, the idea is to tune players and urge them into the hardest difficulty of raiding, I bet blizzard want lots and lots of ppl raiding mythic, its mostly time constraints that make it hard for ppl to commit to.

most of the content in the game is designed to eventually funnel you into mythic raiding, you will eventually have enough gear to try it, its just up to you if you want to take the plunge or not. noone is going to force you to raid mythic, but it is there for ppl who want to try it. all the content before that is there to get you into it.

but you don't have to progress through mythic, you can progress through just normal, or just heroic, or just the raid finders, each difficulty is either its own stand alone progression or another means of getting loot for the difficulty you are mainly focused on.

for example, clearing normal nighthold gives you gear that will make progress in heroic easier, but it will also give you the gear you need to start progress in normal ToS when that releases, sure you probably won't need the whole raid to have 4 piece set bonuses to clear normal tos, but it will help.

you can either progress through the difficulties lfr>normal>heroic>mythic or you can progress through just the tiers, tier1 normal> tier 2 normal>tier 3 normal.

the choice is really up to you, there being multiple difficulties is hardly more of an imagination stretch as killing bosses every week like some sort of reoccurring dream.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-02-21 at 07:29 AM.

Good luck getting treated like some demi-god by casual players by showing off your mighty gear, in a 12 year old game where most players don't really care what others are doing or achieving.
    Mother pus bucket!

The game's probably where it should be in terms of exclusivity / availability right now. Pushing one way or the other isn't going to improve anything.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I guess "exclusive content" did that?
    Or maybe its success didn't hinge on one design choice?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I guess "exclusive content" did that?
    Certainly a factor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    People should be required to put effort into the game to experience the exclusive content.
    Because getting a pug through lfg/open raid is so very hard, right?

Flawed reasoning. But I think what you meant to say was exclusive content that you can do, that the majority can't/won't.

I'm assuming you've already cleared Mythic nighthold, because that's totally not an exclusive achievement.

I mean, everyone here's already cleared that in a pug, right?

Right?

No? Well there you go then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think "exclusive" cosmetic items are fine; the more the merrier.

Do I think there should be virtual areas of the game locked off to all but a few? No.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    No it would be Sunwell.
    Mythic content is harder than Sunwell.

That wasn't the point.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Blizz should have removed all the "glory of the Xxx raider" mounts from previous expansions, they did so with plague/black drakes for a reason, then after a major backlash they kept the rest still attainable, even the plague drake made a comeback on black market...

no it shouldn't

But you're not describing exclusive content, what you're talking about is the old raid / gear progressions. Starting in lower tiers, gearing up, moving to the next raid. Now we have a raid at 4 different difficulties, which reward gear thats higher than the previous difficulty significantly, as well as provide entry level gear to fresh brand new 110. What I mean is, you can jump into a NH LFR pretty quickly after hitting 110, within a week you can be raiding it on normal. In TBC if you hit 70, you took your ass to heroics, grinding them, eventually get a kara team, maybe maggy and worked your way up to BT.

Personally, I'd take that system over 4 difficulties any day, it just kept everything relevant

Exclusive content is gating content behind something. So an extra encounter or phase in mythic raids (although I do pretty much like this idea, its one reason I started raiding again), offering unique item for encounters (think Xav leather shoulders), Something which you can only do at max level for x amount of time etc.

what's wrong with mythic mounts and then lowering the drop chance after the raid is not relevant?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    he is actually right.
    no he actually is wrong. like allways. exclusive contend = mythic and arena. thats enough.
    after all this is an MMO not your next Dark Soul Single Player game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
    Now... you can buy the game, start a toon, level it to max and play to end content... and NEVER talk to another living soul. The few things you might need that are from crafting, you can buy from the AH, bags, quest items, glyphs, etc. I think that was a colossal mistake because it's been eroding the COMMUNITY.
    Can you please linke to a PROVE for your CLAIM that everyone can do ARENA/MYTHIC raiding without EVER talking to someone???
    I thought so....
    And stop blaming Blizzard for how bad the community is, thats only the communities fault and no one elses.

- - - Updated - - -

No it would be Sunwell.
    No it would be Vanilla Naxx.

- - - Updated - - -

See my concern is making a good game, not letting every pleb with a keyboard have their participation trophy.
    Thank god you are just a silly average joe and not someone working for blizzard who made wow for plebs you hate so much

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Doesn't matter, game will be dead soon enough. Honestly though, WoW is trash outside of raiding and high lvl mythic+ in my silly useless opinion.
    fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    The towers are 100% PvE. Your choice to stay misinformed for so long.
    You realize that when she says "kaldorei mount" she's not talking about the Courser, right? It's the Vicious Nightgsaber which is the only updated version of the Night Elf mount. Even if they add another from WPvP, it will be from the FFA zones like the horse/wolf was, and it will be a dull black, not the appropriate faction colors.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Oh, right. Because guilds were running old, obsolete content which still required near perfect execution just to get people attuned all the fucking time, right?

Spoiler alert: They didn't.
    Yawn. This dead horse again. I was in a reasonably terrible 3 day/week for 3 hours guild at the time and once we killed KT/Vash'j, we literally never had any problem with them again. We'd run an attunement run every month or so if we absolutely had to, and that was it. It wasn't some soul-crushing endeavor that sucked all the fun out of the game for everyone involved like randoms seems to pretend these days. Near perfect execution my ass rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post

No it would be Vanilla Naxx.
    Either one

Thank god you are just a silly average joe and not someone working for blizzard who made wow for plebs you hate so much
    Blizzard is making shit like Overwatch and HotS now, they aren't worth my expertise.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    Yawn. This dead horse again. I was in a reasonably terrible 3 day/week for 3 hours guild at the time and once we killed KT/Vash'j, we literally never had any problem with them again. We'd run an attunement run every month or so if we absolutely had to, and that was it. It wasn't some soul-crushing endeavor that sucked all the fun out of the game for everyone involved like randoms seems to pretend these days. Near perfect execution my ass rofl.
    Did you ask everyone in your guild how excited they were to do it? Because i my experience people hated doing old content just for attunements or that 1 trinket for that one role when they themselves didn't benefit anything from that raid.

7+ Year Old Account
    *looks at the OP*

Should have known...

Making "exclusive" content in an MMO is a horrible idea. The purpose of an MMO is to gather like minded players together in a single Universe to experience and discuss content. Seems to me it is not the content that has changed, but the player. We are all 11 years older and our lives have changed (most I would assume). Dedicating 4+ hours a day to a video game is just not an option anymore. I imagine most people who started out (age 20+) in this game are now married, with a family, a mortgage, and a car payment or two while working a real job, and not just what paid the rent and the bar bill.

The game doesn't need a larger gap between the elite and the casual. It needs common ground, and that is just not found with separatist thinking.

no he actually is wrong. like allways. exclusive contend = mythic and arena. thats enough.
    after all this is an MMO not your next Dark Soul Single Player game.
    But Mythic is the same content as before so there is no reason to do it. Why kill a mythic boss when you have done LFR already? I know that the exprience is different, but it is still the same content, so the goal is reached as soon as the boss is dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want a challenge, but not for the sake of a challenge. I want an authentic challenge, not, here that was too easy so we boosted all the numbers up. If there is no reward other than the challenge (which is essentially what mythic is) I'm not interested long-term. I don't consider skins or numbers content. The challenge isn't my motivation, but the journey should be a "challenge".
    I cmpletely agree on the point that multiple difficulties suck.
    Though for me, it sucks due to a different reason:

having another and yet another difficulty negates any sense of completion and the reward of having cleared a raid (I never had the fortune of being in a guild that manages to clear Mythic).
    To me, the endless progression, ultimately felt like punishment, burned me out and drove me into retirement.

Also, I missed the "this is the boss, beat it or eat dust, after that you get a completely NEW boss, not just some slightly different and mostly beefed up rehash of the guy that make you wipe 50 times already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    But Mythic is the same content as before so there is no reason to do it. Why kill a mythic boss when you have done LFR already? I know that the exprience is different, but it is still the same content, so the goal is reached as soon as the boss is dead.
    LFR is a bit extreme in that comparison.

I certainly felt that way after clearing heroic back in WoD. I mean, heroic already proved a challenge. The later bosses didn't just bend over and spill their guts. I distinctly remember us working towards a kill for a while.

If we were to blitz through HC in one week, I wouldn't have minded Mythic at all.
    After ~2-3 months of slow HC progression tough... that's where "that guy AGAIN?! Even harder?!" starts to really suck.