Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Should there be a maximum number of years you can be active in politics?

I think the term "career politician" will trigger negative association in pretty much every country these days.
    What if politicians couldnt be active in politics for more than a fixed number of years?

For example 8 years max for a Minister, Senator etc. This could be extended if someone would move into a presidential function after that, but otherwise out with them.

This way you would keep things "fresh" and make it hard for them to stay in office forever and keeping seats filled for decades, which is potentially also damaging to a country and it's people.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I think the term "career politician" will trigger negative association in pretty much every country these days.
    What if politicians couldnt be active in politics for more than a fixed number of years?

For example 8 years max for a Minister, Senator etc. This could be extended if someone would move into a presidential function after that, but otherwise out with them.

This way you would keep things "fresh" and make it hard for them to stay in office forever and keeping seats filled for decades, which is potentially also damaging to a country and it's people.

What do you think?
    On one hand, I see the agruments for term limits.

On the other hand, these limits would be an incentive to make as much money as possible in a limited time and would disincentivise doing anything useful in the last term.

Having experienced people is good though. Maybe making them skip a term after every 2 terms or something like that just to get fresh people in.

In the US we have bigger problems, like blatant corruption.

Deleted
    If I was, say, president for 8 years maximum, I'd start early to groom my husband and/or children into politics so it stays in the family.
    It's never fresh.

Deleted
    The idea has potential but also limitations. I.e. when it comes to international politics your personal network means quite a lot.

How many positions do you categorize as "political"? There are a number of political positions in which I'd definitely prefer an experienced person.

Actually many people would LOVE term limits both right and left wingers. Trump said he wants term limits as well(but hes jsut evil!!!!).

Im an independent conservative but when I look at pieces of garbage like Reid, Pelosi, Feinstein, McConnell, Boehner, Ryan and theres others. But these people are the poster child for why we need term limits. These are some of the biggest scum bags in the history of america and get to be career politicians.

Years limit and term limits for everything. I also think there should be a balance in the force, always 50/50 for the big parties, or never more than a small % deviation and up the "majority" vote so that that small deviation can never be the deciding factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Years limit and term limits for everything. I also think there should be a balance in the force, always 50/50 for the big parties, or never more than a small % deviation and up the "majority" vote so that that small deviation can never be the deciding factor.
    I actually agree with this. Also remember our founding fathers had a 6 person supreme court. I believe they did that cause it meant you would need 66%(4-2) to pass laws but more so hoping there would be more 3-3 ties to not change laws constantly.

it really is a joke that as a country we have to swing right then left then right then left etc etc

just keep our capitalism and our constitutional values and dont change a thing!

10+ Year Old Account
    You absolutely need term limits across the board.

But before that could happen so much would need to change in regards to how this nation is run it would essentially be like a hard reset. You'd have to re-build this shit from the ground up.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    You'd have to re-build this shit from the ground up.
    That's exactly what it feels like needs to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    While it'd be nice that Wilders would be forced out, but I do not believe in term limits. We had plenty of amazing politicians who spend decades in politics(I.e Willem Drees)

Deleted

What do you think?
    Politocians should be selected at random, similar to juries. Serve for 5 maybe 10 yesr term , live in dorms and then retire on a decent pension.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like it would be even easier to buy a new politician than a veteran one.

A couple real solutions:
    - Overturning the Citizens United ruling.
    - Implementing a federal revolving door law, only a lifetime ban instead of a cooling off period.

Term limits would solve nothing and make matters even worse. The only way anything at all even gets done is the rapport between both party establishments to at least get business as usual matters settled to keep the government functioning. Such rapport would be lost if every few years an entire new group of people is circulated through.

It would be like the 2010 midterm/2012 election when we got a bunch of idiot newcomer Tea Baggers, sorry Tea Party congressmen... Who caused massive interruptions in the status quo and even a shutdown in 2013... Only it would happen every new batch of idiots who couldn't agree.

What do you think?
    There should be term limits on congress and on Moderators...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    That's exactly what it feels like needs to be done.
    I agree whole heartedly. There's so much that needs to be changed I don't see any way around it. It'll come to a head eventually. Perhaps not in our lifetime. But eventually.

And that's without even touching the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. That's just in regards to the regular day to day shit.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

8 years for City
    8 Years for State
    8 Years for Senate ,Congress etc.
    8 for President (they got it right)
    Supreme Court Judges I would say 12 ish years, Having them be "Dead mans boots" terms is ridiculous.
    Career politician should NOT be a thing in My opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Politocians should be selected at random, similar to juries. Serve for 5 maybe 10 yesr term , live in dorms and then retire on a decent pension.

You don't pick somebody to lead your country or manage a part of it at random.

In a given level of politics yes, with shorter terms for higher levels.

Local (County etc) : Life time
    State : 24 years
    Federal (Congress, Executive, Judiciary) : 12 years

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Apparently you do ... how else do you explain Trump

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    You don't want to witness the fun of random people attempting to write laws? Just think of all the fun loopholes that would exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I have always enjoyed contemplating a government like that.

Give some standardized intelligence/critical thinking test to the entire population. People that score high go in a pool. Then people from that pool are randomly selected to legislate for a period.

Geniocratic Demarchy