Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quite interesting how one makes the argument about the rules. I can't help to feel that's a blatant attempt to dodge the evident cultural discussion (which im aware would get shut down here).

"Well she knew the rules and broke them, that's that, move on." That's not the point is it? This is tolerance of the intolerant.

For those who didn't read the article.

She was banned for not wearing the hijab and her brother for playing against an Israeli.

This is Iran being full blown retarded, no defense for this, try as you may. Theocracies are bad, Shia/Sunni Muslim, Christian or Jewish or whatnot. Theocracy=bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/i.../1/887830.html

So these offences didnt even happen in Iran.. Yet they still get punished?

Good. Its their country they can ban whoever the hell the want. Im an american and would never go to iran for personal safety.

10+ Year Old Account
    She doesn't need em. Hopefully she can gain citizenship elsewhere, join that countries team, and then shit all over Iran's team...while wearing a bikini or fuck it. A yamaka.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    She doesn't need em. Hopefully she can gain citizenship elsewhere, join that countries team, and then shit all over Iran's team...while wearing a bikini or fuck it. A yamaka.
    But I thought we in the west weren't supposed to support muslims immigrating over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    I actually asked what kind of dumb question was it, as it was blatantly obvious in the article why she was reprimanded.

You're right however; I don't think it deserves a mention. It's a pretty cut and dry case: she didn't follow the rules of her team, and was subsequently removed from it. Simple. Nothing more, nothing less. Given it's Iran, they could've done a lot worse.
    I have to agree even though I don't agree with the rules.
    and yeah, they could've done worse.

PSA: separation of church and state is, unfortunately, not a worldwide goal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    But I thought we in the west weren't supposed to support muslims immigrating over.
    No.

Only dipshits think that.

The amusing thing is that people believe the vast majority of right leaning folks hate immigrants (of any race/religion) and that simply isn't true.

What we aren't a fan of is ILLEGAL immigrants. You know...people breaking our laws to get in and to stay in this country.

But you know that and are picking a fight. So I honestly don't know why I'm even debating with ya. I need more coffee.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Quite interesting how one makes the argument about the rules. I can't help to feel that's a blatant attempt to dodge the evident cultural discussion (which im aware would get shut down here).

"Well she knew the rules and broke them, that's that, move on." That's not the point is it? This is tolerance of the intolerant.
    What do you recommend we do? Forward this story to all our Facebook and twitter friends expressing our outrage? How is that twitter campaign working out so far in changing Saudi Arabia?

But if we need feel good points, "I disagree with this requirement and I strongly condemn Iran for requiring it". High 5 to me for taking a stand

Good for her. Though I have no respect for chess, since it basically consists of making the most efficient move each turn.

i'd take the goddamned head towel they gave me and burn it.

the day i put one of those on, is the day i'm dead and someone put it on my corpse.

nothing in this goddamned world that boils my blood like that shit does. i'm proud of this chick.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    So you agree women should be told how to dress by religious mandate? Dos that mean the foreign woman (In the Women's World Chess Championship) won't have to wear the Hijab in Iran since they will be representing their country?
    We were just a month ago in Iran with my wife on a vacation.
    We didn't play any chess of course, but still she didn't cover her hair all the time since we've left one of the bags when moving from city to city and all her scarves were there, so until we got the bag we were out of head covers for more or less 2 days.
    Unless we were going to get into a mosque or something, but there they usually give you some kind of cloth to cover yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i'd take the goddamned head towel they gave me and burn it.

the day i put one of those on, is the day i'm dead and someone put it on my corpse.

nothing in this goddamned world that boils my blood like that shit does. i'm proud of this chick.
    Because you don't live there...such things are always easy to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    We were just a month ago in Iran with my wife on a vacation.
    We didn't play any chess of course, but still she didn't cover her hair all the time since we've left one of the bags when moving from city to city and all her scarves were there, so until we got the bag we were out of head covers for more or less 2 days.
    Unless we were going to get into a mosque or something, but there they usually give you some kind of cloth to cover yourself.
    Sounds about right.
    "When in Rome" and all that.

People shouldn't go to another country if they don't plan on following its laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Because you don't live there...such things are always easy to say.
    there is no more of a fervent hate within me than that i hold for this raw, pure gem of coalesced evil.

how anyone could ever willingly allow their selves to be debased by that filth is beyond me. shoot me in the head and be done with it, but don't put that vile thing on me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

It has to be the point. This isn't "tolerating the intolerant". It's that there's little people outside of Iran can even do, in the first place. Here's our options, in this specific instance;

1> The Tradewise Gibraltar Chess Festival could ban Iran from sending competitors until they change this policy. I don't see that there's any higher organization involved. This is obviously pretty pointless; it's not that big a deal.

2> We could offer Dorsa asylum. She's already studying in Spain, so we don't even have to get her out. The problem there is that her family still in Iran could face punishment on her behalf.

3> We could literally invade a sovereign nation because they kicked a girl off a chess team for not wearing a hat. How is this not insane?

There's just nothing we can functionally do that's merited, in a case like this. It's not about choosing to tolerate the intolerant, it's that our disapproval has no way to make itself felt in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    What kind of dumb question is this? She was representing her country, and chose to not follow their tradition when doing so, so she was removed from their team. It doesn't matter what country she was in.

Why is this even a thread?
    And I bet you think the west has institutionalized sexism and racism too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sounds about right.
    "When in Rome" and all that.

People shouldn't go to another country if they don't plan on following its laws.
    So you agree that illegal immigrants should all be deported? Judging from your post history, I'd say you don't. Judging from your post history, I think you're a massive mental gymnast.

No.

Only dipshits think that.

The amusing thing is that people believe the vast majority of right leaning folks hate immigrants (of any race/religion) and that simply isn't true.

What we aren't a fan of is ILLEGAL immigrants. You know...people breaking our laws to get in and to stay in this country.

But you know that and are picking a fight. So I honestly don't know why I'm even debating with ya. I need more coffee.
    Since she's from Iran, she is temporarily (as of later this week) banned from traveling to this country.

Deleted
    In this case, there's not much to be done, really. They went in as independents, and got in trouble with their country of origin; something out of the hands of the organizers. Boycott Iran? sure, go for it. The bigger trouble is in the next Women's tournament in Tehran, and how players are wondering why they'd choose that place to celebrate it in the first place. Boycotting that one has more possibilities of enacting any kind of change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Since she's from Iran, she is temporarily (as of later this week) banned from traveling to this country.
    I didn't say she needed to get her citizenship here. She could get it anywhere in Europe.

I didn't say she needed to get her citizenship here. She could get it anywhere in Europe.
    But if Europe behaved like we did, then she would be shit out of luck. It makes it very easy to call out conservatives for hating immigrants, when their position is one that is anti-immigrant, and not just against illegal immigrant. It's akin to regulating something to death, just like liberals in California do with guns. She can get citizenship somewhere else, just not here...
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-02-21 at 08:00 PM.