10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    They did cause that stuff either happens too early or at a time where if you used your enochian/blood of the dragon right you ll be able to reaply it once the boss is down after dropping it. At least for most of the fights it works that way. If the time interval between the start of the fight and the boss disengage is too short you just done use it there.
    That all falls apart if the raid is able to skip phases, which makes random raids a real pain b/c you don't know whether stuff will be skipped. >.<

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    so counting them to make your point just doesn't make much sense.
    Well I would only discount cooldowns with a CD > 60 that are non mission critical. Everything else needs to be bound, so you don't lose time while moving the cursor to click.

EG: Instant cast of BLM. Has a 60 second CD, but binding it is so much more reliable and comfortable, esp when you're trying to save Enochian with <2s left.
    Another one would be the interruption immunity if you play healer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    (and believe me I get it when it comes to Bard as that is my main)
    *chuckles* sometimes it feels as if I am spending like 10 seconds to activate them all.

Well, good thing I was starting to get back into XIV anyway after some burnout, stuff in 7.2 has me emotionally wounded enough to quit WoW, possibly for good.

So how 'bout that Stormblood?!

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Many of the high pop servers are locked during high activity time periods. It's possible to log on LATE at night or EARLY morning and get passed it. I understand it's a hassle, and wish they'd change it a bit, but there are alternatives to paying.
    Doesn't apply to Balmung anymore, unfortunately. Had a friend of mine simply trying to create a toon here; even tried within 5 mins of servers going back up following maintenance, had appearance data saved and ready to go...nope.

As much as I like being here, we the community definitely need to prop up other servers as viable alternatives. I'm not an RPer, but that seems to be the main reason so many people flock here. I'm only here because the friend that got me into the game was also on here.

I've entertained the idea of "would I move off Balmung if they offered free server transfers". No way would I pay to move away...hell I'd have to buy up all sorts of shit just so I could try and get my gil back thanks to their archaic 1 million gil limits (I suppose those are in place to prevent someone from instantly getting a house on a new server in addition to RMT reduction).

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Many of the high pop servers are locked during high activity time periods. It's possible to log on LATE at night or EARLY morning and get passed it. I understand it's a hassle, and wish they'd change it a bit, but there are alternatives to paying.
    I managed to snag a character at 7am AST. Figured since I was up, I'd give it a try and sure enough Leviathan was open. This is after roughly 31 hours of waiting though so I'm still pretty salty about it.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I managed to snag a character at 7am AST. Figured since I was up, I'd give it a try and sure enough Leviathan was open. This is after roughly 31 hours of waiting though so I'm still pretty salty about it.
    It is an annoyance, to put it mildly, how the only way to get a character on a non-low pop server is to log on in the morning before going to work or such in order to make a character where you want to be. It's bad enough that it makes it really hard for me to recommend this game to friends, because they will naturally be inclined to play where I am, and people often scoff at the idea you have to basically pay extra to do so.

Come to Cactuar ;> Good amount of people but not overpopulated like the above mentioned ones. I promise we're not a bunch of weird people like reddit says we are.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Come to Cactuar ;> Good amount of people but not overpopulated like the above mentioned ones. I promise we're not a bunch of weird people like reddit says we are.
    hehe I play on cactuar as well.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    It is an annoyance, to put it mildly, how the only way to get a character on a non-low pop server is to log on in the morning before going to work or such in order to make a character where you want to be. It's bad enough that it makes it really hard for me to recommend this game to friends, because they will naturally be inclined to play where I am, and people often scoff at the idea you have to basically pay extra to do so.
    Yeah that's an unfortunate thing. I play on Excalibur, and was super lucky to transfer over for free at the beginning of 2.0 when a bunch of my friends from FFXI started playing there and they allowed free transfers. It's practically impossible to get a character on there now.

I really wish they had a system like in FFXI where if an in game character paid money (in-game currency) for a license, they were given a code that a friend could use to bypass the character lock for that server. It's beyond stupid that when someone uses the Recruit a Friend promotion that someone recruited may not be able to ever join the friend they're trying to play with. If they fixed this I'd be much more willing and proactive about recruiting.

I've noticed a lot more sprouts nowadays on my low pop server. Which is great, with the way PF works now, there is far less reason other than joining RL friends to pick a specific server over another.

Followed immediately by:

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    hehe I play on cactuar as well.
    From a pony with a machine gun.

Hmmmmm, I am suspicious of these claims!

(I'm still amused by that avatar)

- - - Updated - - -

I really wish they had a system like in FFXI where if an in game character paid money (in-game currency) for a license, they were given a code that a friend could use to bypass the character lock for that server. It's beyond stupid that when someone uses the Recruit a Friend promotion that someone recruited may not be able to ever join the friend they're trying to play with. If they fixed this I'd be much more willing and proactive about recruiting.
    That system was miserably stupid on FFXI since it was in place from the get go and character creation was followed by totally RNG server placement (How were 4 of us supposed to have 3 million gil to get us all on the same server on launch day? :/
    Solution, we just kept rerolling until we were randomly placed on the same one, but still. It was a dumb idea), but I so wish it would be implemented in FFXIV, absolutely. A refer-a-friend should bypass server restrictions or refer a friend + license would be fine by me.

Also, if you have a character on a high pop server, making a new one should bypass restrictions. It's not like you can play both simultaneously and further clog the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Still wish it was lulus instead though

- - - Updated - - -

we're not a bunch of weird people like reddit says we are.
    With reddits unofficial server being Balmung, home of FFXIV's leeroy jenkins equivalent "Table Cloth"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post

hehe someone made it for me a while ago and it kinda just stuck.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Followed immediately by:

- - - Updated - - -

That system was miserably stupid on FFXI since it was in place from the get go and character creation was followed by totally RNG server placement (How were 4 of us supposed to have 3 million gil to get us all on the same server on launch day? :/
    Solution, we just kept rerolling until we were randomly placed on the same one, but still. It was a dumb idea), but I so wish it would be implemented in FFXIV, absolutely. A refer-a-friend should bypass server restrictions or refer a friend + license would be fine by me.

Also, if you have a character on a high pop server, making a new one should bypass restrictions. It's not like you can play both simultaneously and further clog the server.
    The refer-a-friend thing is absolutely mind-boggling in that it does not allow the recruited friend to bypass the character creation lock so they can join their friend on whatever server. That being said, when the RAF email is sent, the service doesn't have you specify "what character do you want this invite to come from?", so maybe that's a field they could add in order to allow friends to join friends without having to pay an extra $18 bucks on top of the game they just (maybe) bought.

Maybe, just maybe, with server/infrastructure upgrades that I recall were hinted at during one of these recent Fanfests (the NA one, I think), they could bump the server cap up to where folks have an honest shot at joining friends on Balmung/Greg/etc.

Holy shit they made the first stage of the relic easier. I'm on my 3rd in 2 days because its taking like 5 or 6 fates per zone to get the 3 crystals in each.

Me and my buddy decided to return to 14 after getting tired of legion already. We where able to convince 3 friends to come with us and try it out. One was able to get on our server (Gilgamesh). The other two could not after a week of trying morning afternoon and middle of the night. I believe they ended up getting their copies refunded. As much as i love the game, it blew my mind that they would let people walk away from their game then to figure out a way to let people play with their friends. Horrible planning on their part. Refer a friend should guarantee access to the same server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resiak1066 View Post
    Me and my buddy decided to return to 14 after getting tired of legion already. We where able to convince 3 friends to come with us and try it out. One was able to get on our server (Gilgamesh). The other two could not after a week of trying morning afternoon and middle of the night. I believe they ended up getting their copies refunded. As much as i love the game, it blew my mind that they would let people walk away from their game then to figure out a way to let people play with their friends. Horrible planning on their part. Refer a friend should guarantee access to the same server.
    While I agree in general on the subject, the locked realm status is not with out its perks, we don't get Gil Spam and bots are.... Rarer. On Balmung we recently had a HUGE surge of bots but I don't see them like I did in the last two weeks.

These locked servers are like gated communities or clubs you have to buy into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

I fully understand the reasoning behind a locked server. And I know the extra benefits, I don't agree with refer a friend not giving a pass to the new player. Your actively trying to lure in new players that want to play with you, giving more money to SE. This turns away players who decide its not worth the extra hoops just to try a game.

But they have heard these complaints for years and havn't done anything, so I guess it is what it is. Still enjoy the game a lot and will be playing for awhile. Just sucks we lost two friends. They where so turned off by the process, they won't even give it a chance using the cross server functions.

I just want a system in place that allows a character already on the server to have a method that allows for a friend to also join them on that server. There will be pros and cons for any system implemented, as evidenced by the FFXI system requiring 3 million gil (which at launch was ridiculously difficult to acquire for most players) while having a randomized server choice that can be gimmicked by simply creating as many characters it took to actually get on the server you wanted.

Recruit a Friend should have a built in mechanic that does this, the fact that it doesn't is beyond stupid. And yeah, I agree...alt characters for an already active account should not be realm locked...as you said the same person can't play two different characters on the same account at the same time so the restriction doesn't make any sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Preparing to get married atm.

Have to say, journeying near H.'s grave certainly killed the mood for my character.
    Travel companion was a little confused when Ifalna suddenly became silent, walked over to the grave and started to cry.
    She still blames herself for not being able to save him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    While I agree in general on the subject, the locked realm status is not with out its perks, we don't get Gil Spam and bots are.... Rarer. On Balmung we recently had a HUGE surge of bots but I don't see them like I did in the last two weeks.

These locked servers are like gated communities or clubs you have to buy into.
    This is a fair point. That being said, based on (anecdotal) feedback I've seen on Reddit over the past few months pertaining to reduction of gil seller spam, whatever SE has done behind the scenes has helped to greatly curb the amount of that crap on low/mid pop servers.

The absolute non-existance of gil seller spam here, though, makes it worth the price of admission. I'll definitely agree to that (having come from Goblin, where you had to play with /busy on at all times back then).

Correlation isn't causation, but with Aether having both Balmung and Greg, combined with the fact it's the only datacenter that had significant issues following 3.5 and the cross datacenter PF, it only makes me a weee bit nervous about how it'll hold up come SB launch.